PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage Diagonal Brace

tom_sprecher
12-12-2006, 01:58 PM
Using the diagram in the GCR for the Showroom Stock roll cage on p. 91 of the 2007 GCR should I run the bar from A-F as shown in the attached picture or B-E? I don't care for more bars in my rear view, but I think I need at least one bar going the opposite direction with respect to the other diagonals already in the cage.

Whadya think?

ddewhurst
12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
***Whadya think?***

Tom, I think I want my new ITA/7 1st gen RX-7 to weigh 2280 pounds with liquid & driver. If ya want to weigh 2480 pounds just keep on adding roll cage tubing.

Have Fun ;)
David

tom_sprecher
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
The last car was real close to 2280 before and this bar is not much of an addition since it replaces a horizontal bar that tied the rear braces together at the shock towers.

Plus, I lost some weight as this one is a hard top vs. a sunroof as before.

gprodracer
12-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Tom,
Just another opinion from the peanut gallery, I recently changed to a Lexan front windshield in my G Prod car. There was a major debate as to where to locate the required 3 interior braces, with strength, and visibility as the 2 major considerations. As usual, there were numerous recommondations as to how to space them apart, and how close to the drivers field of vision they should be placed. :eclipsee_steering:
After all was said and done, placement only affects your vision while driving thru the pits/paddock, and very little at that.
Under race conditions, you are looking so far ahead, or behind, that the braces or bars simply disappear from sight. I don't know if your brain replaces what is blocked, or what, but it still gives you a full view of what's there.
I have 3 two inch retaining straps directly in my front windshield, and at speed, do not see them at all. If you are looking at your windshield, you are not looking far enough ahead to see what is going on in front of you, and that's not a good thing! :blink:
Put your bars in your cage where you think they will add to your safety. The visibilty factor will take care of itself.
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with your new project! :happy204:
Mark