PDA

View Full Version : Parts to Avoid

JimLill
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Now that our VW's are getting older, in particular the A1 and A2 stuff, genuine parts are harder to find. The market in awash with certain items, but who knows where they are made.

Are there certain parts and/or sources to avoid?

Eric Parham
12-11-2006, 08:48 PM
RECOMMENDED:
SKF, Timkin, Febi-Bilstein, Lobro, Meyle -- Excellent no matter where they're made (unless counterfeit).

NEUTRAL:
KMM, FAG -- Usually very Good, but quality can vary.
I've also had good luck with brake rotors made in China. They're not always pretty, but they're inexpensive and they seem to work (and last) just as well as the rest. When I was in China 2 years ago, the taxis were mostly Mk 2 Jettas with Mk 4 style noses. In fact, more than half of what I saw on the road were VWs or their derivatives. With that many cars on the road, there are bound to be some decent quality parts being produced there.

NOT RECOMMENDED:
DS -- They make CAST front hubs!!! Total garbage, and I think quite dangerous for racing.
VW-Audi -- Many of the CV boots I'd been getting that cracked and failed within a couple of races had this logo. One cracked during installation. Possibly counterfeit, or maybe just on the shelf too long. Not catastrophic, but a real pain in the a&$.

Bill Miller
12-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Brembo 9.4 vented front rotors are ~$25 each. To me, it's not worth saving $5 - $10 per rotor to buy the chinese ones.

I also don't use anything but Lobro CV joints.

JimLill
12-12-2006, 06:44 PM
I got ATE rotors for <$40 which seemed like an OK price and seem to work OK. I bought some Asian fenders, I&#39;ll know next week as to quality.

Eric Parham
12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I bought some Asian fenders, I&#39;ll know next week as to quality.
[/b]

Ah, but sheetmetal is another story. For sheetmetal, I would trade perfect fit and corrosion resistance for lighter weight and cheaper cost any day of the week :)

Bill Miller
12-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Ah, but sheetmetal is another story. For sheetmetal, I would trade perfect fit and corrosion resistance for lighter weight and cheaper cost any day of the week :)
[/b]

Without a doubt. I could care less about cosmetic stuff, but the mechanical stuff (especially what I call &#39;mission critical&#39; mechanical stuff) is a different story.