PDA

View Full Version : camber plate install

flaboy
12-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Ok...what i've got are BSI bolt in camber plates.

tools...drill,grinder,drill bits,12 pack bud light,hammer,large hammer.

how do i put these in??

Tim

racer_tim
12-09-2006, 08:28 PM
They didn't come with any instructions?

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/lf-camber-plate.jpg

On mine, I just drilled 3 holes, and installed them from the bottom. This way I didn't have to remove any material from the upper tower. I use the stock holes to install the upper stress bar.

I did have to use 6" springs up front to allow for the loss of movement by installing them below the perch.

RSTPerformance
12-09-2006, 10:24 PM
They didn't come with any instructions?

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/lf-camber-plate.jpg

On mine, I just drilled 3 holes, and installed them from the bottom. This way I didn't have to remove any material from the upper tower. I use the stock holes to install the upper stress bar.

I did have to use 6" springs up front to allow for the loss of movement by installing them below the perch.
[/b]

nice no need for welding when mounted on the bottom... however you do loose suspension travel, not sure if that is an issue on the VW or not.

Raymond "Seen a lot of VW's with BIG" upper mounting plates before" Blethen

jasonp
12-11-2006, 09:00 AM
I use the BSI weld-in plates and mounted them to the top of the strut tower. I have not noticed any travel issues but have not actually measured this either. One of the fellows I race with thought I might have a small issue with bottoming out my suspension around corners... He was noticing that my front end would slip or bump over slightly while watching his in car footage of me. I have not noticed this myself, but I have only been racing for three years and I am still learning about some of the subtlties of handling. I have not measured the total travel in my suspension and have not cut my bump stops down.

However, I did, at one point, notice that the BSI fellows added an extra half inch or so of material around the tops of the strut towers and mounted their plates on top of this, effectively adding suspesion travel. I would go this route if I were to do it over again. I don't see how the extra travel can hurt.

I know you have the bolt in style, but this is my 2 cents.

RSTPerformance
12-11-2006, 01:28 PM
If you click the link above you can see that this camber plate was mounted at the top, but UNDER the Unibody... that is where I wondered about suspension travel...

Raymond