PDA

View Full Version : need to replace strut setup with new shocks?

rsx858
12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
hey all, so im redoing the suspening on my ITS mazda this winter and have opted to go with a koni shock / eibach spring setup. Of course im trying to keep costs in check so i have a few questions reguarding what parts can stay and what has to be replaced.
Currently my car has some very old and crusty GAB shocks along with what i was told are Grond Control coilovers. the threads on the struts both front and rear are somewhat worn near the bottom from spring rubbage by the looks of it.
I was hoping that i would not have to purchase new front struts or rear perch setup as it is quite expensive. Does anyone know if the koni shocks / inserts are compatible with my setup? are the konis the same dimentions as the old GABs (which im told are the same as illumas)? any input?

sorry i dont have pics or more details im stuck at school for another few weeks

thanks a lot

ddewhurst
12-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Matt, cut through the chase & call Lee Grimes of Koni. 1-859-586-4100 Hebron, Ky He has been there for years & is in tune with stuff. The one thing you need to know before talking to Lee is are your strut tubes OEM or have they been modified.

Have Fun ;)
David

Eagle7
12-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Also check the diameter of the shaft where it goes through the spherical bearing. My Koni's needed to be machined.