PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage for IT racing

oceanis281
12-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I found two Fiero's for sale as a package deal, one v6 auto and 1 4cy stick, and am contemplating building one for IT racing...not sure if the 6 or the 4 is the better choice, but I am having trouble finding a supplier for the roll cage...any input where to go? Prices? t
thanks
Chuck w

tom_sprecher
12-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Izzy's cages. He posts here often or try Izzy's Cages (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/Home.html)

eprodrx7
12-07-2006, 11:40 PM
What the hell is going on around here? Did some one leave the Pontiac rubber motel unattended? If you are anywhere near Rochester NY give me a call. I'll build you a cage but I'll also try to talk you out of it....

Ben are you out there?
:dead_horse:

iambhooper
12-08-2006, 06:33 AM
You definatly want to run the V-6 car. For the life of me, I can not see the 4 cylinder being cmpetetive in ITB... legally. That motor is capable of about 300 hp, but even Smokey Yunik couldn't pass that by tech.

Go with the v-6.

hoop

latebrake
12-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Oh boy this sounds like fun :026: the Fiero is a cool looking car so if enough of these things show up the kids will have a cool car to build and may even bring some more young blood into SCCA racing. After a while development will gather and the bugs will be worked out and the car will show colors.

Hoop,you say the 4 banger can make 300 hp? i know they made a marine engine in the iron duke at around 200 hp. did any of these things show up in street cars? when they were stopping production of the Fiero could they have dropped some of these engines in the cars to get rid of them. how many would it take to make it a IT legal engine? if at all for that matter. just kidding not worth the look and effort. i like the 87 and 88 v6 cars only and just because the way they look. If you could keep the front end calm it could be a fun fast car. Engine parts would be cheap but the other stuff will be a problem maybe???

Lawrence

Speed Raycer
12-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Chuck, shoot me an email cagefab(AT)izzyscustomcages.com If you're close to EProd... that's where I'd head ;) There's a few others I've come across that I can give you names for.

Scott

benspeed
12-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Just too friggin cool!

Chuck I believe there is another Chuck in the SE region running an ITA V6 Fiero - he also ran in the ARRC. Another guy, Tom Grabowski, RE NY something region near the Glen has a very nicely turned out V6 ITA car that he bought in August. Another guy took track record at Blackhawk farms driving an ITB 4c Fiero.

My buddy, Greg Simpson is definitely building his 87 GT V6 ITA Fiero. I have a really nice 87 GT but I'm not pleased with the power of my car so until I know my motor will outperform the better handling cars I'm not sure what my plan is. A huge box of Fiero parts is sitting in my kitchen, its Friday night and I'm drinkin' a Margarita so life is GOOD!

I spoke with both men, John Weisberg and Scott and both will build you a great cage. I know John as he's in the NE and is a very notable national racer. He is of a poor opinion on the car's overall competitiveness. For an experienced driver I find the Fiero a car that is difficult to setup from a suspension point of view and it offers limited adjustability at the front i.e. I don't see how you legally can put a coilover up front without building a new control arm and the car needs more forward bite and less push to lay down the power it has. That's a problem because then you suck coming out of the corner and going onto the straightaway, the most important corner on the track. A lower powered car getting a better exit speed will whip you by the end of the day. You can only dive bomb at the end of the straight using power for the first part of the race - then your shit wears out by mid race.

However, I cannot say this is anything but conjecture as the car hasn't been on the track yet - with me at least. But I wonder if the Fiero drivers would agree with that assessment of the car. Bottoming out will be a problem too, although the 88 GT was the best of the lot and had a completely better suspension and brakes and the weight of the 88 GT which used to be higher than the other ITA models was reduced to 2600 (check me please rules nerds) while the other V6 Fieros are 2560.

I'm going to open my box of tune up and go fast toys.

Happy cash wastage!

oceanis281
12-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies and input...got me thinkin' (stinkin' thinkin') maybe I should just look for a honda crx si

tdw6974
12-09-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies and input...got me thinkin' (stinkin' thinkin') maybe I should just look for a honda crx si
[/b]
Chuck, Keep on Fiero Track. We just sold the Last of our 4 Fieros (Indy Edition) and we have boxes of new and used parts I would be happy to sell :D as if you own a Fiero you need your own parts dept. Unless you can Find one of Huffaker Engineering IMSA Fiero now that would be interesting. :biggrinsanta: Whatever you get remember this is supposed to be Fun(Where is the Money pit Icon) Tom Weaver

lateapex911
12-09-2006, 11:55 AM
You mean this one?