PDA

View Full Version : Paging Ray or Steven Blethen..I have some Audi questions..

Rabbit05
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
Hi Ray or Steve,

I am looking into buying an '85 GT coupe. Now, so far I was going to keep it a street car. I was wondering about any quirks the Audi's have, Like say VW Rabbits the front bearings always go, stuff like that. Also , where do you guys get your Performance stuff ?

Any info would be greatly appriciated !

John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports

"working on new Rabbit" #05 :eclipsee_steering:

RSTPerformance
12-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Welcome to the madness... lol

I say forget the Rabit build and make this one into the race car!!! oh wait, your good, nevermind keep the ITC car :bash_1_: ...

Anyway quirks... we have 84 coupes so we have the smaller wheel bearings. We change our reguarly on the race cars but havn't ever had issues on the street cars other than old tired ball joints or tie rods wich probably should be replaced more common than we change them on the street cars. The street cars (we have had many) issues tend to be elctrical gremlins with relation to the CIS and/or some stupid sensors. Alternators fuel pups etc. can also have issues, but generally if it is a lemon then it will have all the normal issues. The motors are rock solid. You can overheat them a million times and they keep going. They ALWAYS sound like they are going to blow up with the valves ticking so much but that is normal. Just make sure that it has oil and go for it. The FWD cars don't handle worth crap (IMO) out of the box but some springs and big tires (205's on 15" wheels) really make a huge difference for street use.

Most of our performance stuff is things that we have designed/made and would not be good for street use.

Others claim big gains in performance with a rear bar, front bar from 4000Q, but we have never noticed a difference. For the engine the most simple performance gain is from putting on a 4000Q header. 5-3-1 vs 5-1. That is the only difference between the different 2.2L motors and is a 5hp or 15hp gain (I think from memory) in the manual.

A great site for information is www.audiworld.com and a great source for new and/or used parts is www.force5auto.com. Audiworld doesn't sponsor us, and a lot of the people are well Audi drivers, but many are great. Force 5 Automotive does sponsor us so make sure you mention our name, I am sure he will treat you right as a friend of ours and as a fellow racer.

I think the only other issues we have ever had with the street cars is that the AWD ones are so much fun we go out in every snow storm and "bump" into a few snowbanks... sometimes getting a bit stuck :snow_cool:

Anyway if you want to chat more about anything specific, feel free to:

e-mail (sometimes it says it is full, just resend) [email protected]
PM on this website
or call 603-738-6686

Raymond

Rabbit05
12-07-2006, 01:08 PM
You know we did bring up that we could do an IT car with it. It would be fun to drive, and I know they go quick by watching you guys ! :eclipsee_steering:

But I need somthing other than my V-10 truck to drive around fo rmy daily driver. This car , i guess a granny owned it, and the body looks in great shape ! So hopfully the mehanicals are ok. If we get a crazy idea , who knows, maybe you will see another Audi out there. But for now we stick to racing VWs.

thanks for the info,

maybe I'll buzz ya in a coupla weeks when i get it on the road.

John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Mototrsports
ITC Rabbit #05.......and maybe an Audi ???? :birra:

StephenB
12-08-2006, 12:31 AM
John

Common issues we have had as the mileage gets up and up that will make you go crazy :026:

Alternators seem to have issues especially in winter / Rain driving as they are completly exposed sitting down low in the front.

Fuel Pumps go bad at or around the 170,000 mark. At first he pump is load then you'll start to have issues. change it before you get stranded... (Not that that ever happened to me!) It is a high pressue pump that is not common in remote places.

Another fuel issue it the Fuel Pump regulator. The Fuse box is somewhat exposed below the grill on the hood so it does seem to have issues.

Radiator can take some abuse as it sits low and is exposed. We usually kept the AC condensor on as a shield

Ball Joints and Tie rods have been an ongoing issue in these cars especially when you add on big rims/tires.

Overall these cars are pretty bulletproof and can be a ton of fun! They are also tanks and pretty darn safe (My dad got in a head on with a drunk driver and that destroyed the other car, his was totalled as well but all the doors opened with no issues!) Have fun and if you ahve questions ask away.

Stephen

DaveITB1
12-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Hey John,

I have a 2dr, 1991 BMW 318is for sale that would be just the commuter car ticket you are looking for. I applaud your staying in Germania for your car selection, but maybe its time to come on down to Bavaria and drive real German engineering!! :lol:

It has just finished its "once over" down at Smarty's shop and is ready to go to a lucky buyer.

Drop me a line if you are interested in more info/pictures. I could even deliver it to your door since you are only a few miles from me.

Let me know

Dave
[email protected]

Rabbit05
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Hey guys thanks for the heads up. I know on VW's the fuel pumps are a common problem, I know ,I have changed one street side before. What a PItA !! So i will look to change that out before it really snows out ! One question I have is how do you guys get that exhast sound from your cars? Granted I don't want it that loud, but I was wondering if the was a certian muffler type that will make that nice deep sound to it ,or does it come out naturally ?

I am excited to get this car now ! :happy204: And the bolt pattern is still 4x100 ? I have a ton of semi cool VW rims laying around..

Ah, Vw/ Audi is somtimes nice...'till they break.. :dead_horse:

Dave,
I wish I knew about that BMW, I was down at Bob's to get that Rabbit coulpa weeks ago. I can't remember which one it was....there is too many down there ! Just curious , How much are you asking ? I already put some money down on the Audi..but my Brother might need some new wheels soon !

John VanDenburgh
VanDenburgh Motorsports
VW/AUDI....?

RSTPerformance
12-08-2006, 02:16 PM
John...

First the bad news, your Audi is probably 4 X 108 bolt pattern... We might have a couple different options of some 15" wheels that are lying around that we might sell to you for cheep if you are interested. First I would need to get some pictures for you.

Second... the master of sound ;)

On the race cars we have 2.5" pipe with borla racing mufflers... cut a certain length for just the right tone ;) I love the sound of them...

A close second to them though was my 4000Q back in the UNH days... I can't remember if I hollowed out the cat, and or if the resinator was eliminated, but for some reason I am about 99% sure that I did not do anything to them... I did however remove the rear muffler and replace it with a "cherybomb" muffler and an expensive SS DTM tip (Not sure if the DTM tip did anything or if it was just the muffler). I also have that sitting in the garage, and no I am not going to part with it!!! Its the only thing I saved from that car lol.... Great sound!!! I will try to snap a picture of that also and maybe you can come up with something on your own for your car, you wont be disapointed. I was not much of a power gain but a very good sound inside and outside the car - Not like a rice rocket big can exaghst, I was never much for that.

Raymond

JLawton
12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Overall these cars are pretty bulletproof [/b]

Must............bite...........tongue............. ... :P

JamesB
12-08-2006, 02:49 PM
no hes right, they can take a 9mm and keep going. its walls that it can't handle.

RSTPerformance
12-08-2006, 02:57 PM
no hes right, they can take a 9mm and keep going. its walls that it can't handle.
[/b]

And curbs... I have totaled a street car on a curb (not good) and we seem to break those tie rods, ball joints, and wheel bearings in the race cars when we "bounce off the curbs..." To bad the 80's Audi 5000 FIA rallycar stuff isn't a legal conversions for IT. ;)

Raymond

JamesB
12-08-2006, 04:11 PM
I forgot how fragile those where. my 5000 CS I broke a tie rod clipping a snow drift.

DaveITB1
12-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Dave,
I wish I knew about that BMW, I was down at Bob's to get that Rabbit coulpa weeks ago. I can't remember which one it was....there is too many down there ! Just curious , How much are you asking ? I already put some money down on the Audi..but my Brother might need some new wheels soon !

John VanDenburgh
VanDenburgh Motorsports
VW/AUDI....?
[/b]
Hey John,

PM me your email address and I'll send you some pictures. My car was the red, sunroofed, 2dr with the black leather interior down at the bottom of the hill at Smarty's. Bob now has over 30 BMW's at his place in various levels of completion. I am looking for $3200, but would adjust that for a fellow racer. If your brother is still interested, let me know, and we'll talk turkey...... :eclipsee_steering:

Dave

Rabbit05
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Dave,
Thanks for the heads up. I ask around down here in Schenectady, a 318 would make a nice "B" car....

....hmmmmm..... to many ideas.. :blink: ....not enough $.....

......maybe there might be 2 VanDenburgh Motorsports cars in the works....

more to come.....

John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh motorsports
"who knows what" # 05

DaveITB1
12-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey John,

Sounds good. Merry Christmas.

Ha. Its a DOHC motor, so you'd be in ITA with it. I'll tell ya, this e30 body handles so much better than the 320i ever did. I'm sure Bob could make time to build a 2nd e30 bodied car. In fact, he could probably assemble it blindfolded, kind of like when the Fonz was blind for that episode and rebuilt his motorcycle in his apartment, but then again, maybe you guys are to young to remember that. :D

Dave

RSTPerformance
12-15-2006, 12:18 AM
maybe you guys are to young to remember that. :D
Dave
[/b]
yup...

hqppy holidays dave!!! skiing soon :)

Raymond

Rabbit05
12-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Hey, Now I know what you guys mean by lifter noise ! The car is runs nice and pulls really good ! Now I can see why you guys race them. I have been driving my friend crazy 'cause now i want to build one ! Even though we already have an ITC Rabbit prodject going . I did see a Coupe on e-bay for sale. :rolleyes:

I do have a couple of questions for you guys.

1.) Odometer: It doesnt work on the car. I do have another dash for it. But is there a simple fix?(fuze/cable)

2.)Front end : I know of the balljoints/tie rods issues..But do they chew thru Strut mounts like VW's? I got the clunky going over bumps and the such. its not to bad (yet).

3.) And you said you might have some wheels for sale ? The stock ones look kool...but if you could send me some pics maybe I'll grab a set from you guys after I get my Christmas bonus. (my e-mail is [email protected])

These cars are pretty cool. And like I said I would cut it up in a heart beat to make it a racer. BUT it is in too good of shape ! Interior is mint and hardly no rust at all !

Thanks for the Info guys !!! :happy204:

John VanDenburgh

VanDenburgh Motorsports
ITC Rabbit #05

RSTPerformance
12-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Hey-

Forgot to get back to you...

On the exahst... Eliminate the rear mufler, and put the chery bomb in place of the resinator... some DTM tips and you are in business :) Nice deep sound... :)

Strut mounts... we have never had a problem with the mounts, I just threw away a lot of them, and I have never sceen any bad ones. Most likely it is the strut itself :( IMO, that is a week point on the car, based on the design of the suspension. You need some super duper Bilstiens!!!

Odemiter... humm it might be the cable broken in the tranny? Does the spedo work? Most of the time though it is the dash, I have seen a million of those broken. not to hard to fix with a book. To bad I just threw out a bunch of dashes :(

Wheels... I will do my best to get pictures ASAP, just been very very busy with x-mas and all and they are in storage. You do have the 4X108 bolt pattern correct?

Raymond

pfcs49
12-19-2006, 09:15 PM
odometergear.com

Rabbit05
12-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Well, as far as the dash issue, the speedo works , but the Odometer doesnt. The kid I bought it off has a new ,well, used dash , that he included with the car , but he never installed it. I was thinking cable, but then the speedo probably wouldnt work. I had the car up on a lift,( its good to have friends), it seemed just the tops were loose. The front Hub bearings have to be replaced, so i ws going to pull the whole strut and everything down and replace that, but i will look at the struts them selves when i get it apart. :bash_1_: And I am pretty sure the 85 CGT's are 4 x 108.

And dont worry about pics just yet , Its the holidays and i know everyone is super busy, and I am not in any super rush for them. Besides I am out at Indanapolis to see family and all that and i gotta try to get out to the Speedway to get a first hand look !

Have a Merry Christmas ! :114:

John VanDenburgh

Vandenburgh Motorsports
ITC Rabbit #05