PDA

View Full Version : 240SX ITA

keith35
12-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I need some help. I was a 210 guy for years and now have accuired a 89 240sx. Don't know much about it. Any info will help.
Thanks Keith

[email protected]
:happy204:

erlrich
12-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Keith,

There are literally dozens of posts in this forum on the ITA 240SX - if you set your "show topics" window to "show all" you'll see posts going back to 2002. That's where I would start (that's where I DID start actually, about 3 years ago when I started building mine); then if you have specific questions I'm sure you'll get any help you need from the guys here.

Good luck,

Earl

hunter164
12-09-2006, 09:46 AM
We currently campaign 3 of them, as well as a 95 300zx. we would be more than happy to lend a helping hand to you with any questions you have. We have also done some pretty substantial R&D and came up with a custom front suspension as well as a new header design that have done very well for us in terms of handling and power. Our team website is www.bbracingusa.com. Drop us a line at either,( greg at bbracingusa.com ) or ( brandon at bbracingusa.com ).

keith35
12-22-2006, 11:20 AM
After hearing all the HORROR stories, I think I will get our 86 300Z out and start getting it ready instead. The S13 and 14 sounds like more work than I have time for.
Keith

gprodracer
12-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Keith,

You traitor! Get back in your 210 so we can share some development information :P !
Either that or give me all your trick 210 stuff, so we can catch the VW's, Suzukis, and Hondas! :lol:
Have a great holiday, but get me that website please!
:114:
Mark

hunter164
12-22-2006, 05:24 PM
Most of the s13 issues come from cutting corners during prep. If you pay attention to the little details at the beginning the car is very easy to work with...

slickS14
12-22-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm curious, what "horror" stories? Both, the S13 and S14, are very reliable and competitive , especially if prepped right. That statement goes with any car. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are working on their cars at the track with common maintenance, etc... I only had 3 DNF's in 3 years with my S14 and 2 were MY fault.

hunter164
12-22-2006, 08:27 PM
I'm curious, what "horror" stories? Both, the S13 and S14, are very reliable and competitive , especially if prepped right. That statement goes with any car. It never ceases to amaze me how many people are working on their cars at the track with common maintenance, etc... I only had 3 DNF's in 3 years with my S14 and 2 were MY fault.
[/b]

I agree. We have 3 s13s with varying levels of prep. We definitely found a correlation between DNFs and general maintenance on the vehicle. If you put the time that you should put in on any race, the car ran strong. And we have shown they can be very competitive in ITA.

erlrich
12-22-2006, 09:23 PM
I have to agree on the reliability; knock on wood but so far in three years, almost a dozen track days, several time trials, a double driver's school, and 10 sprint races with SCCA & EMRA I've had one DNS, and that was when I decided to see how high I could zing the motor without breaking it during a qualifying session (for the record, as near as I can figure something just north of 8K is where the pistons try to make pretzels out of the exhaust valves). And that is all on an untouched bottom end with 100K+ miles.

On the other hand, yes there is a lot of work involved in getting this car to the front. But isn't that true of any car? Unless you buy a fully developed and proven winner you're probably going to have to put the same effort into whatever car you decide to build.

lateapex911
12-22-2006, 10:56 PM
I thought long and hard about a 240SX. It's a great choice if you want to be in ITA, and in a rear wheel drive car, and have a chance at a win.

Advantages: Power, good brakes and pretty good handling.

Disadvantages..not to fast until set up correctly. the reas suspension isn't for the newbie, LOL. And the comments on maintenance are true from what I've heard. These aren't Hondas, LOL.

That said, the knowledge base is around now so that the car should be pretty straightforward to build.

And set up versions are out there as well. If winning in ITA is a goal, and you need a RWD car, this is one of only two possible choices. (except for the unproven oddball)

midngn
12-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Sorry to hijack but does anyone have a suggestion for the best spring rate front and rear to use with Koni 8611 Double Adjustable dampers for race and track use on a 95 S14?

keith35
12-24-2006, 11:26 AM
We are going to build it to run endros close to home. I still prepping my GP car so this is our playtoy. Heard if you lower the car and don't spend major $ it will never handle correctly.
Keith :026: :114: :snow_cool:

hunter164
12-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Camber plates and you can do ok. Sphericals in the rear and some double adjustable konis in the front and the car's handling becomes amazing. It's hard not to love the car once you get it out on the track.

DavidM
12-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Most of what I've done to my motor in 2 full seasons is regular maintenance. The biggest issue I've had was with the intake manifold leaking water and I think that was due to installation. This is a full built motor, which I think has allowed it to stay together while I've attempted to figure out the best way to heel-toe with my big ass feet (read: it's been over-revved a couple times).

The rear suspension is a pain mainly because you need to replace all the bushings with spherical bearings to make it work. These will need to be replaced every few years. I think for enduros the biggest thing to watch would be wheel bearings. They don't seem to last too long.

I don't think the 240 is any easier or harder to keep up than other cars.

David

IPRESS
12-26-2006, 07:10 PM
Jake, Jake, what are you trying to say? :D

"If winning in ITA is a goal, and you need a RWD car, this is one of only two possible choices. (except for the unproven oddball")

lateapex911
12-26-2006, 07:38 PM
Hmmm...well, at the top level, the Miata just isn't quite there on the long tracks yet. Now, if you're a guy who likes to develop a car, then by all means, get a Miata....but its not where the 240SX is in the development curve.

Now...that's today....next season, well thats different! I fully expect to see you and Mr Stretch up at the head of the pack with the CRXs, Integras, 240SXs, Saturns (!) and NX2000(s?).

hunter164
12-26-2006, 09:05 PM
we fully intend to put a 240sx at the top of the points standings in NER for this season, and are going to try to bring 3 to the AARC and really see what they can do.

Consider the gaunlet thrown :eclipsee_steering:

IPRESS
12-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Hmmm...well, at the top level, the Miata just isn't quite there on the long tracks yet. Now, if you're a guy who likes to develop a car, then by all means, get a Miata....but its not where the 240SX is in the development curve.

Now...that's today....next season, well thats different! I fully expect to see you and Mr Stretch up at the head of the pack with the CRXs, Integras, 240SXs, Saturns (!) and NX2000(s?).
[/b]

I think you mean Andy and Mr. Stretch up front. Myself, I drive just like I @%$#, no system at all! :happy204: I am sure I will get a good learning experience from those Mid Div IT guys at least fo a while..... until I can pilfer some of Mr. Stretch's secrets. :unsure:

JLawton
12-27-2006, 07:30 AM
we fully intend to put a 240sx at the top of the points standings in NER for this season, and are going to try to bring 3 to the AARC and really see what they can do.

Consider the gaunlet thrown :eclipsee_steering:
[/b]

WooHoo!!!! I'll pay you guys money if you can beat up on Andy at LRP!! :lol:

I would imagine you guys will do very well at ARRC. Plus, it's a lot of fun!!!

Andy Bettencourt
12-27-2006, 10:05 AM
And I REALLY hope this car (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9574) and this car (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9630) make there way into NER. It's going to be a great year. The year of RWD!

hunter164
12-27-2006, 05:33 PM
WooHoo!!!! I'll pay you guys money if you can beat up on Andy at LRP!! :lol:

I would imagine you guys will do very well at ARRC. Plus, it's a lot of fun!!!
[/b]

We'll do our best for ya. We do for some luck there soon! Back to back Nissan victories at the AARC would be pretty sweet.

And I REALLY hope this car (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9574) and this car (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9630) make there way into NER. It's going to be a great year. The year of RWD!
[/b]

The more Nissans the merrier for us. ITA should be alot of fun to be around. And our trailer will definitely be the place to be...

erlrich
12-27-2006, 07:57 PM
And I REALLY hope this car (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9574) and this car (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9630) make there way into NER. It's going to be a great year. The year of RWD! [/b] Andy, I'm hoping the second one you noted there doesn't end up in the NER, but stays in the DC region; I get the feeling if Kirk isn't successful in selling the car we will at least see him at a few MARRS events this year. If nothing else maybe we can convince Ginsberg to come over to Nissan :D

AE86ITA
01-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Hello Guys:

I am 6'3" 250LBS and while looking for a S13 240sx to prepare I ran into the fact that I do fit inside of these cars. How tall are you and how much clearance do you have on top of your head.

Thanks,

ps. As a result I might end up building a '85 Corola GTS just to keep that RWD feeling. We normally run on a 1.5mi 12 turn track where light and quick is better than heavy and fast.

hunter164
01-01-2007, 10:53 AM
Im 6'2 and 230lbs. I fit comfortably in the S13. Maybe a different seat would work better for you? We have a guy taller than i am, though very skinny that fits in as well.

AE86ITA
01-01-2007, 11:09 AM
When I tried the car (stock) my hair touched the roof liner and there seems to be not much room to improve. Is there better chances with a car that has no sun roof?

Thanks,

erlrich
01-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Hello Guys:

I am 6'3" 250LBS and while looking for a S13 240sx to prepare I ran into the fact that I do fit inside of these cars. How tall are you and how much clearance do you have on top of your head. [/b] I'm 6'-4", 260 and I have enough headroom (2"+); however I did have to install the seat as low as possible and with quite a bit of layback to get it. I did actually do a couple of track days in the car with the stock seats, but I do remember my helmet was touching the headliner then.

dickita15
01-01-2007, 11:43 AM
I am 6'3" 250LBS and while looking for a S13 240sx to prepare I ran into the fact that I do fit inside of these cars. How tall are you and how much clearance do you have on top of your head.

[/b]

jeremy has one for sale in the classified section and he is 6'3" i think, but skinny. if you are near the northeast you should try it on.

mgp240
01-02-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm also 6'4" and my seat is a 20degree layback that I installed with the front sitting on the structural ridge across the floorboard and the rear of the seat is about an inch off the floor (so there's about an inch difference from front to back... not sure how much more that changes the back angle from vertical)
but I have plenty of headroom, I didn't even have to move the seat inboard to clear the roll bar.

7racing
01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Hello Guys:

[/b]

I'm about 6'4", depending on which shoes I wear that day. ;) But, yes, you will have plenty of room in this car. When prepped for racing, this car is as big as my living room. Plenty of headroom, I actually feel like I sit too low in this car, which is a big surprise for me.

If you are anywhere near northeast Massachusetts, stop on by and have a test sitting.

Jeremy

lateapex911
01-03-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm about 6'4", depending on which shoes I wear that day. ;)
Jeremy [/b]

Yes, those shoes you wore to the "Cheap Date Regional" were particularly striking, but jeez, at 6' 7", you didn't get much action, did you? Plus, your wife was pissed at how you streched them out......

AE86ITA
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks everyone:

My seat is a Sparco EVO II and so far I believe it's going to have to set it with an inclination.

Thanks,

DavidM
01-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Apparently us tall guys like 240SXs. I'm 6'5", though I'm a skinny dude with long legs. I'm not sure I could be much taller from the waist up and still fit with my helmet on. My helmet extends above the roll cage bars so I have good padding on the bars in case my head gets knocked around. I have a Kirkey seat mounted right on the stock seat bracket so the seat couldn't be any lower. It's a pretty upright seat (which I like), so a little bit of room could be gained with a steeper angle.

My biggest issue is actually with the steering wheel. Bob had a 15" wheel and my right leg would hit it while trying to heel/toe. I've been using a 13" wheel that gives me a lot more room, but I think I may try a 13.5 or 14" wheel as the 13" makes tighter corners a pain in the ass.

David