PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cell and pumps

terry
12-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Looking for opinions on fuel pumps, fuel lines, and any other info around mounting a cell in a 240Z

Terry

tom_sprecher
12-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know anything specific to the 240Z but be prepared. Low dollar cells are over $500 w/o a surge tank type pick-up. Add another $125 for that item.

Try these

Fuel Safe (http://www.fuelsafe.com/pdf/Road%20Racing.pdf) I have the Enduro ED115.

Or

ATL (http://www.atlinc.com/US/racing.html)

Figure out what will fit and then google for the best price/shipping.

terry
12-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the info Tom. I have a 12 gallon Fuel Safe cell and looking for reliable pumps and any other info needed to minimize problems I could run into putting a cell in my Z.

Terry

tom_sprecher
12-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Now I see. Actually I am in the process of doing the same. I had AN plumbing, a Carter pump and a pretty big Fram chrome filter that came with the car. The combo weighed quite a bit, was mounted in the rear wheel well, ruptured and caught fire big time when I hit a wall at Road Atlanta earlier this year. Gonna do it different this time.

First of all any fuel related items must be located between the frame rails. As far as pumps go, one set up I saw uses two inexpensive general purpose pumps from any auto supply store. I can't remember who makes them but they are about half the size of a pack of cigs. Try NAPA. Anyway, they're plumbed to both ports in the fuel cell, have a one way valve between them and are Y'ed together and run to the carb. Both run all the time but if one craps out the other is still working and the one way does not allow fuel to be pumped back through the dead pump. I might go that route but I don't know yet.

I want a small filter as well w/a replaceable cartridge or cleanable element but have not looked into it yet. If you come across something that looks good let me know.

Ron Earp
12-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Now I see. Actually I am in the process of doing the same. I had AN plumbing, a Carter pump and a pretty big Fram chrome filter that came with the car. The combo weighed quite a bit, was mounted in the rear wheel well, ruptured and caught fire big time when I hit a wall at Road Atlanta earlier this year. Gonna do it different this time.
[/b]

Hmmmm. This is about exactly what I have, but it is mounted in the trunk, rear right corner. I've been thinking for quite sometime this is a bad place for me, but your sentence just sealed it for me - I'm moving that crap. Thanks for the visual, I've been on fire a couple times now and it isn't cool.

I'm thinking about ditching the Fran filter and running throw away metal can types. They are like $2 each and you could replace as often as you liked to be happy.

R

gprodracer
12-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Ron, and all,

Good move to get the pumps, etc. inside the frame rails, but don't give up the screen type (cleanable) filters. You can prevent a lot of engine damage by checking the filters on a regular basis, while the replaceable types won't give you a clue until it's too late. The screen types filter out water better, and will give you a better read on the quality and purity of the fuel you purchase at the track (if you buy from them).
While my Prod car is more sensitive to impurities, my filter has alerted me to rust particles in several barrels of bad fuel at the track in my old ITC car back when I was running Enduros.
Just a thought to consider.
Good Luck!
Mark