PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tracks

BobsAuto
12-02-2006, 01:35 AM
I have just discovered Google Earth (ok, so I'm behind the times) and having read something about Bridgehampton having been someone's favorite extinct track, I decided to look to see what replaced it. And lo and behold to my surprise, I found the track itself! Yes, in among the greens and sand traps of the golf course that replaced it, you can make out various turns of the track. Get on Google Earth and look up Bridgehampton and zoom in around Nyack Golf Course.....you'll be surprised.
So, after doing this, I decided to visit tracks around the US. Pocono seems tiny and can't be zoomed in too closely, and get this.....Summit Point seems to be blacked out....could it be that the gov't blacks their training ground out of the satellite?
Anyhow, fun stuff to do on nights when it's way too warm to consider it winter here in the northeast!

JoshS
12-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Try the Google Earth data file at the link below. Download the files, then import it into Google Earth.

I have tried to include all of the road courses in North America. The green ones have a lot of detail, the red ones don't. They are grouped by SCCA division.

File here: http://www.godoggoracing.org/files/RoadCourses.kmz

lateapex911
12-02-2006, 03:02 AM
Thanks guys...jeeezz..looking at those tracks takes some time! VERY cool. Josh, how much time did that take you?? LOTs of tracks I've never heard of!

Lime Rock looks to have been shot on a major weekend..the paddock is full of transporters. Not much doing at Road Atlanta though.

The only two road course I didn't see off the tp of my head are Montreal Grand Prix course. and the Indianapolis Road course. Of course Indy isn't open to amatuer types, byt the Montreal track has hosted lots of semi pros for F1 support races, such as the old Motorola Cup.

Amazing file, thanks for sharing!

JimLill
12-02-2006, 07:05 AM
here's something I got together for WGI

http://www.r-series.org/sbrs/wg.jpg

also try:

http://local.live.com

JoshS
12-02-2006, 02:22 PM
The only two road course I didn't see off the tp of my head are Montreal Grand Prix course. and the Indianapolis Road course. Of course Indy isn't open to amatuer types, byt the Montreal track has hosted lots of semi pros for F1 support races, such as the old Motorola Cup.

Amazing file, thanks for sharing!
[/b]
Yeah, I didn't include the tracks that we lowly amateurs would never get to race on ... maybe you're right about Montreal though.

I put that together about a year ago, but now and again I update it, either because more areas get detailed pictures, or because I hear about a track I've never heard of before. Altogether you're looking at probably 5 or 6 hours of work, nothing outrageous.

leggwork
12-03-2006, 09:26 PM
that is very cool Josh - thanks for all your work on this list.

I don't know how to send you this in a more convenient format but here are the coordinates of Motorsport Park Hastings. Google Earth just shows a plowed field because the track was just started earlier this year.
Lat 40°34'46.49"N
Long 98°20'56.32"W

The one you have labeled "Continental Divide" in Rocky Mountain has been called "Mead" for a while, but it is now closed anyway. Also, Second Creek Raceway is closed, thanks to the noise that the dirt oval track just north of it created on Saturday nights ...
PPIR is currently closed, but somebody just bought it and intends to reopen it as a private country club and will add a road course outside of the oval.

A more accurate placement of La Junta is
Lat 38° 2'31.28"N
Long 103°31'16.36"W
The aerial view isn't very clear in that area.

And watch these coordinates for the upcoming Genoa Motorsports Park in 2008 www.genoamotorsports.com . The 6+ mile double track preliminary layout was just posted on their website.
Lat 39°15'52.21"N
Long 103°29'13.31"W

We have two other tracks in the works as well, so our current track drought is coming to an end.
cheers,
bruce

Try the Google Earth data file at the link below. Download the files, then import it into Google Earth.

I have tried to include all of the road courses in North America. The green ones have a lot of detail, the red ones don't. They are grouped by SCCA division.

File here: http://www.godoggoracing.org/files/RoadCourses.kmz
[/b]

kgobey
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM
http://www.meadowdaleraceway.homestead.com/

Meadowdale is located just next to Algonquin Illinois. Today it’s a nice and up and coming suburb with a lot of countryside.

Meadowdale was to be the feature race course of the Midwest, with a nod to Monza and Imola. I have walked this massive course that went into disuse around 1972 a couple of times. I would say balls of steal would describe the racers of this course.

Today it a nice and sometimes treacherous walk through the trees. But if you stand at the end of the massive straight where it curls downhill into an epic roller coaster curving downhill bend you hear the roar and scream of the viscously powerful racecars of the 60's rushing by.