PDA

View Full Version : Only three PDE's sceduled for 07?

anrkii
11-30-2006, 05:03 AM
I finally have all my stuff nearly ready to go, and I had planned on doing several pde's next year, and then making the transition into ITB.

but according to the schedule posted on midiv website, theres only three for next year.

a couple of questions:
is the schedule not complete yet? more events TBA?
since only three hpe's for an entire seasons worth of practicing is not nearly as many as I would like, should I just knock out two schools in the spring and jump right into IT?
I am one confused noob right about now.

Speed Raycer
11-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Personally, I'd do the Double School in the spring. That whole one tow, one weekend, two schools thing. If you don't think you're ready for actuall wheel 2 wheel, then don't sign up for the Sunday race. Then you've got your Novice permit and you're golden to run any time you get a chance.

Be sure to keep up with the othe clubs track days. Porsche Club, BMW, Audi, Phil Wicks, etc etc all have various track days. If you've got the $$$ to pad the car count, they'll usually welcome you with open arms!

JamesB
11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
PDX is still in its infancy in many regions. WDC is trying to do their first one in 2007. However, around here if you want to hit tracks all you have to do is look at the marque clubs. Tons of dates, great pricing (usually), and 1 or 2 day events.

bldn10
11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
The problem Regions have putting on SCCA PDXs is that our regs require all the safety equip. and workers as Regional races. I.e. it costs a lot of money - and so far we aren't seeing the car counts to make it even break even. If you can shoehorn one into a Club Racing weekend it will work, but that puts a strain on the schedule. I think we would all like to have more of them because they are fun and attract new blood into the Club.

mustanghammer
11-30-2006, 02:25 PM
I finally have all my stuff nearly ready to go, and I had planned on doing several pde's next year, and then making the transition into ITB.

but according to the schedule posted on midiv website, theres only three for next year.

a couple of questions:
is the schedule not complete yet? more events TBA?
since only three hpe's for an entire seasons worth of practicing is not nearly as many as I would like, should I just knock out two schools in the spring and jump right into IT?
I am one confused noob right about now.
[/b]

Unlike NASA the SCCA PDX program doesn't provide a path to a club racing license. So if your goal is club racing, running a series of PDX events won't get you where you want to go. Now from a practice and track familarization stand point the PDX events are pretty good. However, you can get the same exposure from a track sponsored test day once you have your club racing license at a potentailly lower cost. I guess I am saying what Speed Raycer told you earlier - run the Super School.

One of the newer PDX requirements is that the passenger seat and passenger restraint system must match the seat and restraint system used by the driver. Meaning that if your car has a 6 point harness, racing seat and a window net for the driver this must be duplicated for the passenger. This can add allot of expense to a race car.

I like the PDX program and I think it could really enhance our Division's events especially if a combination of PDX and Club Trials are scheduled - Club Trials are timed competition events. To a certain extent these events are like Solo II events in that many of the competitors only want to run a PDX/Time Trial and do not want to "move up" to club racing.

JamesB
11-30-2006, 02:52 PM
How is it differnt. With nasa you dont just gradute to wheel to wheel racing. You still have a drivers school to take only they require proof that you have car control skills. With SCCAn right now you dont even need prior track experience to goto a school its only recomended.

I think PDX gives exposure to club racing as well as SCCA as a whole. So by instructing you will see as drivers improve their skills and they may choose to go racing, they might not. I know guys that have the skills to go club racing and do well today. But they perfer just doing track days and instructing. So be it.

mustanghammer
11-30-2006, 11:21 PM
How is it differnt. With nasa you dont just gradute to wheel to wheel racing. You still have a drivers school to take only they require proof that you have car control skills. With SCCAn right now you dont even need prior track experience to goto a school its only recomended.

I think PDX gives exposure to club racing as well as SCCA as a whole. So by instructing you will see as drivers improve their skills and they may choose to go racing, they might not. I know guys that have the skills to go club racing and do well today. But they perfer just doing track days and instructing. So be it.
[/b]

I'm new to NASA - joined in September - but their Provisional License application specifically asks for the applicants HPDE history. From what I am reading if this application is accepted the applicant gets a Provisional Licsence that can be used for competition racing. No mention of a specific school is made in the discussion of a Provisional License on the NASA site but there may be differences on a per Region basis. Nothing close this is provided to SCCA PDX, Club Trials and Track Trials participants that I am aware of.

I'm not knocking it, by the way. I think NASA's approach is logical and may make getting into wheel to wheel racing easier in an area where HPDE's are common.

Anyway, Anrkii, welcome and I hope to see you on the track.

JamesB
12-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Really? GRM had an artical about racing with NASA and specifially mentioned a friday comp school. But they did mention that they do inqure about prior HPDE. The biggest thing I noticed is neither require proof of previous track experience.

anrkii
12-02-2006, 01:51 AM
Im thinking that ill hit the double school at gateway in late march, that way i can (hopefully) meet the two school criteria, then ill hit some lapping days, and see what develops from there.

hey, how do I get more information about various events, schedules, fees, etc?.
having a hard time finding that...

mustanghammer
12-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Im thinking that ill hit the double school at gateway in late march, that way i can (hopefully) meet the two school criteria, then ill hit some lapping days, and see what develops from there.

hey, how do I get more information about various events, schedules, fees, etc?.
having a hard time finding that...
[/b]

The host regions and race organizations will begin publishing entry and event info for 2007 events next year. Go to www.midiv.org and use the links page to get to the host region sites. It is likely you can see the event info from 2006 and get a fair idea regarding costs. Keep in mind that prices and event details are subject to change.

For Gateway races go to www.stlscca.org
For HPT go to www.kvrg.org
For Hallet go to www.neoklascca.org
For MAM go to www.dmvrscca.org
for Memphis go to: www.midsouthscca.com

The HPT event immediately following the Super School offers both a School, a PDX and a Regional race. So you could do alot of driving at that event.

To get track time you can always run additional SCCA schools. There will be schools at HPT, MAM and Hallet in 2007 in addtion to the Supper School at Gateway.

FireballPhil
12-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Scott,

May I correct you on one issue. Hallett is not going to have a school in 2007. Hallett puts on a great school but aked for a break. Nor is Memphis. I don't have a schedule here in front of me but STL, HPT, & MAM are the only tracks having schools in 2007. The MiDiv is going to tentatively start an odd/even year for schools. Both Memphis and Hallett will return in 2008.

The STL Super School is an excellent school. I have been there the past 3 years once as a crew for my brother and twice as a steward. I highly recommend the STL Super School.

Phil Harris
RE MidSouth Region
Memphis, TN

mustanghammer
12-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Scott,

May I correct you on one issue. Hallett is not going to have a school in 2007. Hallett puts on a great school but aked for a break. Nor is Memphis. I don't have a schedule here in front of me but STL, HPT, & MAM are the only tracks having schools in 2007. The MiDiv is going to tentatively start an odd/even year for schools. Both Memphis and Hallett will return in 2008.

The STL Super School is an excellent school. I have been there the past 3 years once as a crew for my brother and twice as a steward. I highly recommend the STL Super School.

Phil Harris
RE MidSouth Region
Memphis, TN
[/b]

Thanks Fireball! They have date for a school on August 4-5, will this change to a Double Regional or get dropped?

anrkii
12-05-2006, 01:20 PM
I definitely plan to do the st louis double school, but i was also told that there was an it race on that sunday.
supposing I pass the schools, do you think it would be too soon for a newcomer to jump into a race>?

also, where do you guys get all this info? I cant find any details.
Seriously? Ive been all over the stlscca site and their registration site, and I cant find any info on this event at all.

mustanghammer
12-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I definitely plan to do the st louis double school, but i was also told that there was an it race on that sunday.
supposing I pass the schools, do you think it would be too soon for a newcomer to jump into a race>?

also, where do you guys get all this info? I cant find any details.
Seriously? Ive been all over the stlscca site and their registration site, and I cant find any info on this event at all.
[/b]

I earned my "wings" at this school in 2003 and also ran the race on Sunday. Should you run it, yes because you are already there. Here is what you will know by the end of Saturday:

You will know the track, corner stations and flags
You will know what it is like to be on track with faster and slower cars
You will pass cars and you will have been passed
You will have run several practice starts and a 5 lap race

At that point you might as well race you car for real!

When you go to a region site looking for racing information you need to locate the Club Racing or Road Racing section. In that section you will find info on how to register. On the St Louis site you click on the Club Racing logo at the top of the home page and then look for event info at the top of the next page.

If all else fails e-mail or call the contacts listed at the region for club racing. They want your business!

92AS
12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
My advice? Do the school and race the race. Most likely, it will be the most fun you've ever had with your clothes on. At the very least, you will get more track time for your dollar than a PDX or track day.

The St. Louis School is always a Friday/Saturday event. Friday morning is classroom. The afternoon is on- track at controlled speeds and controlled passing zones. Saturday will be progressively less controlled, leading up to practice starts and a short practice race. Sunday is a Regional race.

If you make the decision to pull the trigger on going to the school, get started now. Get your physical, do the paperwork, get your gear together (helmets and driver's suits make great Christmas presents), get your car teched and a current logbook, call all your friends and ask them to crew for you and go racing!

I've been involved with the St. Louis School for the past five years and would be happy to help you get going. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] if I can help.

Good luck!

Speed Raycer
12-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Info on the Double School should be coming within the next few weeks. Info in the supps. has to be finallized and Sanction #'s applied for. Keep watching stlscca.org or here for an announcement.

anrkii
12-06-2006, 02:15 AM
when and where can I get my car teched?

I still have to update the cage and add a fuel port, new belts, too.

car was last raced in 02' what other necessary changes must I make?

92AS
12-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Where are you located?

FireballPhil
12-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks Fireball! They have date for a school on August 4-5, will this change to a Double Regional or get dropped?
[/b]

Scott it will be dropped for 2007 and picked back up for 2008.

Phil

Speed Raycer
12-06-2006, 10:34 AM
anrikii

Give me a call or email on the cage updates 314-302-3395 or [email protected]

We've got a new Chief of Tech this year. Contact me and I'll get you her info. (I need to get it on the website too....)

anrkii
12-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Where are you located?
[/b]

I am in springfield mo, ozark mtn. region, Id like to get the car teched just as soon as its ready, or at least have it checked out by someone who knows.

my cage additions will be welded in, but its a bolt together cage, should I weld up the connectors while Im at it?>
I know its not necessary, but will it make it stronger/safer ?