PDA

View Full Version : Honda Bushing Regs

loperdw
11-29-2006, 08:04 AM
I recently purchased an ITB Accord. This past weekend at a race a competitor pointed out that the bushings on the Torque Rod on my car have been removed and welded shut. As this is something that I did not do myself, and the fact that car has gone through at least two serious tech inspections after races I have concerned over hit point.

Afterwards I did some research in the latest GCR and in my factory manual to determine if the modification is legal. From what I have been told, motor mounts bushings have to be OEM, but there is no restriction on other bushings. The factory manual identifies this part as a ‘Torque Rod’ and not a motor mount. The 2007 GCR says very little about torque rods and no information related to appropriate bushings.

Has anyone experienced this issue? Where could I go for more clarity on the rules? Opinions, thoughts.

I can provide photos if the above does not make sense.

Thanks!

Greg Amy
11-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Loper, keep in mind the basis of IT rules is "if it doesn't say you can, you cannot". Therefore, your statement "...there is no restriction on other bushings..." is innacurate. In point of fact there is a blanket restriction on EVERYTHING on the car, and that's 'it has to be stock unless otherwise specified'.

If you can find an allowance in the rules for what you change from stock, then it's legal. Otherwise, it's not. To the specific point at hand, because there is no allowance to change the bushings in that factory part, you cannot.

You can, however, ADD an engine stay rod. If that happens to be a Heim-jointed rod in parallel with the unmodified factory torque rod, so be it. - GA