PDA

View Full Version : ITC rabbit

flaboy
11-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I have an itc rabbit with none adjustable shocks with carrarra springs.500/550.
I have a little extra money to spend on the car.The motor is fresh so don't need to spend it there.
what do you all think...

newer shocks and springs?adjustable?
Caster/camber plates?

Thanks for your input.

Tim

shwah
11-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Two things come to mind. 1. Get the shocks rebuilt/revalved for your spring rates 2. Get some camber plates on there.

I would do #1 first if there is any worry that the shocks are worn. Adjustability is not a huge deal of the damping rates are right to begin with. If the price is prohibitive, take a look at Bilstein sport or race shocks - very durable, and when they do wear out can also be revalved during a rebuild.

If the shocks are working OK, I expect you will see more laptime improvement with proper camber.

thats my $0.02

RSTPerformance
11-28-2006, 09:21 AM
You don't have camber plates? I would think that along with some new Bilstien Struts/shocks would make a big difference :)

After that get all the other suspension stuff... Do you have spherical a-arm bushings and what not? Most VW run a rear sway bar... do you have that yet?

Good Luck;

Raymond "Wishing I had a little extra money to spend" Blethen

flaboy
11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Chris-I do have bilstien shocks,i didn't mention it.I just ordered some parts from 24-7 parts yesterday.

I have a shine rear bar that came on it when i bought the car.

No on the special bushings in the front a-arms.Just the up graded urithyne(sp?) type.

camber plates...any in particular..has Bildon come out with his yet?Should i go with shine's?or just ant i can find?
I have a nice adjustable front sway bar but took mit off when i bought the car.should i buy a good upper stress bar ?

Raymond and Chris thanks for your advice.

Tim

rabbidmk1
11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
I am running the Ground control's on my Mk3. They are really nice and machined well. I would recomend these unless you wanted to weld a perminant set in.

Aaron

http://www.ground-control-store.com/images/datapage/CCPVW_dp.jpg

flaboy
11-28-2006, 10:14 AM
and those just bolt right in?

:happy204:

JamesB
11-28-2006, 11:01 AM
yes they do. and it takes more then a punt into a tire wall to bend one.

itracer
11-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Send the shocks to Billstien to have them rebuilt. It is short money (<$100 per shock) and you will see good results fast. I had old Carrera shock on my VW and I switched to some re-valved and rebuilt bilstiens. It was like having a new car -- I could go anywhere on the track I wanted and the car stuck. Some of the scary parts of the track just disappeared.

Wheel studs are a nice improvement when you have extra $$. They are real handy when it comes to changing wheels and adding spacers. I bought those from Bildon.

RSTPerformance
11-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Wheel studs are a nice improvement when you have extra $$. They are real handy when it comes to changing wheels and adding spacers. I bought those from Bildon.
[/b]

Good call Jason :023:

Raymond

JamesB
11-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I glanced over the shock part. I agree, rebuild the bilstiens rather then going adjustable. Unless your that experienced a racer where you can benifit from a small rebound adjustment or autocrossing where you want rebound soft for daily and stuff for AX there is no reason to spend the money on adjustables.

Just send them in and tell them your spring rates so they can rebuild and valve the shocks properly.

shwah
11-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I may have a line on a barely used set of those Ground Control camber plates, if they are still around I will post back.

Otherwise, another not outrageously expensive option is the eurosport camber plate. I think those can also be had from 247.

flaboy
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I have already put wheel studs all the way around the car.With the 205/60/13 tires on stock wheels they where rubbing on the strut tower on the inside fronts.And it made it alot easier putting the wheels on it.

Chris let me know about the camber plates.

Tim

Bildon
11-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Hold off on that Bilstein purchase for a few weeks. You&#39;re about to hear about a VERY IMPORTANT introduction to the VW racing community (and others). Based on our testing during the last half of the season we&#39;ve found a new love in the world of high tech AFFORDABLE racing suspensions. And best of all you wont have to spend the time and money to source bits and pieces to complete your suspension. Top mounts, spring seats, tenders, main springs, bump rubbers, spherical mounts upper and lower, stainless steel bodies, etc .. it&#39;s all included (or available separately) and the price will be very close to a Bilstein or Koni setup with all the above bits you need.

Oh did I mention that these new suspensions won&#39;t have to be rebuilt every weekend (cough cough) B) and that they will be double adjustable and that they incorporate a special high speed bump "blow off" feature that will allow you to attack the apex like a FWD VW needs to and yet still cruise over the curbing with hardly any vertical movement! :023: If you want to see how nicely this works check out the ARC video here:
http://ww2.bildon.com/ARRC_2006_ITS_Race.wmv
Pay special attention to Turn 3 at the top of the hill. With our old solution this curbing and left side loading would have been impossible to deal with this agressively. You&#39;ll notice the cars in front of us getting out of shape occasionally as they deal with the curbing. Not us :D

Our other solution, while digressive, had no "blow off" feature and therefore we would wind up on 2 wheels far too often. :eclipsee_steering: Consequently you&#39;d have to back out of it and wait for the car to come back to earth. Even with a good LSD, you cant really put the power down with the car skipping through the air. With the new system = Problem Solved!

Stay tuned to hear more about it all. They will be advertising here. :023:

racer_tim
11-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Go with the Ground Control Camber Plates, and put your car on a diet, and get it down to your absolute min weight.

Picture

http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/2002/lf-camber-plate.jpg

JLawton
11-29-2006, 07:00 AM
- Camber plates!
- Sherical bearings all around
- second rear sway bar
- ditch the front adjustable sway bar

If Bill says he&#39;s got a cool suspension coming, and it&#39;s the one he used at ARRC, I would wait for that one!!! Bill&#39;s car was incredible at the ARRC.

flaboy
11-29-2006, 07:12 AM
Front bar is off.

car is 200lbs under weight.

where can i get the bearings from?

Tim

Bill Miller
11-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Shine sells the bearings, and you may be able to get them from Bildon as well.

Bill, thaks for the video, the suspension setup on the Corrado looked great! I&#39;ll need to talk w/ you about those for my car. :023:

flaboy
12-01-2006, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone,

located some camber plates today,BSI still had a set of bolt in ones,and he had the special bearings as well for the plates.
I don&#39;t know much about them,they are very basic but for $125 bucks...i couldn,t pass them up!!

I&#39;ll down load pics when i get them,he is also going to look around for new shocks,since he&#39;s getting out of the vw business and doing his miata thing he needs to find them.I&#39;ll let you know what i get.

Thank you everyone for all the advice and help.

Tim

JamesB
12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I have BSI bolt ins on my car. Work just fine. But if you got a shop that will work with you so you can bolt them in to set your caster correctly then youll really be setup well.

flaboy
12-01-2006, 12:28 PM
James,
I do have a guy at Proformance wheel and tire that does some of my front and rear camber stuff and i&#39;m sure he&#39;ll help get it right.

What do you do..try to set the caster befor you bolt everything down?

JamesB
12-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Exactly. My BSI plates do not have a caster adjustment, well it does but limited. So if you set your caster while mounting it your save yourself a lot of issues later.

flaboy
12-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Alright everyone,
Juat picked up my BSI caster and camber plates and going to put them in this weekend..by myself...this should be fun...any advice on how to install them? I&#39;ve got a grinder...drill...with bits...and a 12 pack of bud light...do i start with the bud light first then the grinder??

seriously....how do i do this??

Tim

RSTPerformance
12-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Alright everyone,
Juat picked up my BSI caster and camber plates and going to put them in this weekend..by myself...this should be fun...any advice on how to install them? I&#39;ve got a grinder...drill...with bits...and a 12 pack of bud light...do i start with the bud light first then the grinder??

seriously....how do i do this??

Tim
[/b]

where is the welder???

You should work with someone who has already done this before you you know where to WELD in the plates for optimal performance adjustment.

Raymond

flaboy
12-10-2006, 09:04 AM
luckily they are bolt in plates.

for a welder i would need a bottle and Jack Danials and my father-in-law for that kind of job.

Tim"NOT machicly inclined"Martin