PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input & opinions on some tracks

gran racing
11-24-2006, 02:58 PM
One of my goals in 2007 is to visit a new track. The tracks I'm considering are VIR, Nelson Ledges, BeaveRun, and Mid Ohio. I've seen videos from VIR & Mid Ohio, but don't know much about Nelson Ledges or BeaveRun. My personal preferences on tracks - love LRP, Road Atlanta, Summit; enjoy the Glen; won't goto NHIS or Pocono anytime soon. I'm sure my decision will also be impacted by event schedules and who I can get to go with me, but am curious to hear your thoughts and some input on what those tracks are like. Also, are there any bigger events at these tracks you recommend more than others? (I wouldn't be looking to make a field trip till June or after.)

Thanks!

Andy Bettencourt
11-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Well Dave, a lot of us from NER are headed to VIR in March this year. If you can't do that...save your one shot for this...

Mid-Ohio in August. Trust me.

Eagle7
11-24-2006, 08:35 PM
[/b]
Wohoo! Can't wait! :023:

Greg Amy
11-24-2006, 08:40 PM
No question: you owe it to yourself to experience VIR and Mid-Ohio.

Dave, I'm working towards a season of hitting some key events/tracks to fully enjoy the opportunities. Included in those are VIR in March, Mid-Ohio in August, Road Atlanta in November, and Mosport in ?. The point being, let's not focus on a specific series, rather let's enjoy racing and, more importantly, driving.

Join us.

Greg

Rabbit07
11-24-2006, 09:07 PM
VIR Rocks!

Mid-Ohio is cool too, but you don't get much track time for your racing dollar at most SCCA Weekends.

So what is going on in August?

Andy Bettencourt
11-24-2006, 09:47 PM
So what is going on in August? [/b]

Nothing yet but there is a group bouncing around the idea of an 'IT Festival' to compliment the ARRC's unofficial National Championship. This could be a top-notch Championship event with a unique format and flavor - all with the focus on Improved Touring. Details and timing are getting 'tested' by the capable folks out there to see if it's possible.

WHO WANTS IN?

Jeremy Billiel
11-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I am putting aside my bonus for VIR and if we all go to Mid-Ohio I can be easily talked in. Now the wife on the other hand...

dj10
11-24-2006, 10:18 PM
My personal favorites: Mosport & Bridgehampton, but the latter isn't any more:~(

Nothing yet but there is a group bouncing around the idea of an 'IT Festival' to compliment the ARRC's unofficial National Championship. This could be a top-notch Championship event with a unique format and flavor - all with the focus on Improved Touring. Details and timing are getting 'tested' by the capable folks out there to see if it's possible.

Andy, where are they talking about location?

zchris
11-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Andy, I would caution you about the weather. The april national at Summit Point that is only a few hours north of VIR has been colder than a witches tit the last few years. And that is in april. I cannot imagine VIR is any better in march. Its amazing how long a weekend can be when the wind is blowing steady at 20 mph and it hits a high of 40 degrees. You also run into starting and tire issues. And how well you have mapped your ECU for temps that low. Dress warm.

Andy Bettencourt
11-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Andy, where are they talking about location?

[/b]

Why, Mid-Ohio of course!

Andy, I would caution you about the weather. The april national at Summit Point that is only a few hours north of VIR has been colder than a witches tit the last few years. And that is in april. I cannot imagine VIR is any better in march. Its amazing how long a weekend can be when the wind is blowing steady at 20 mph and it hits a high of 40 degrees. You also run into starting and tire issues. And how well you have mapped your ECU for temps that low. Dress warm. [/b]

Yes. We will keep an eye on the weather. It's called the 'Snow Melter', no? :)

16v
11-25-2006, 12:37 AM
AB what's the date of this thingie at M-O? Gotta plan far ahead for something like this

lateapex911
11-25-2006, 04:50 AM
If we were smart, we'd go to VIR or some track in that direction in October, and leave the trailers there to save hassle on the way to the ARRCs.....

Andy Bettencourt
11-25-2006, 07:50 AM
AB what's the date of this thingie at M-O? Gotta plan far ahead for something like this [/b]

It's still in the conceptual stages with dates being considered - but something in August looks to be the best option.

Rabbit07
11-25-2006, 07:54 AM
I usually only make it to Mid-O once a year, even though it is only 3 hrs away. I guess this year it will be in August! :D

dazzlesa
11-25-2006, 08:00 AM
fortunatly last years weather was great at VIR. and can you say 101 cars in the enduro. that was a wild race. awesome track. i would like to go to mid-ohio and nelson ledges

gran racing
11-25-2006, 08:20 AM
Greg, I've never given a thought about the whole series thing so that's not an issue for me. I also agree that getting a group like we do for the ARRC makes an event especially when away from our home tracks that much more fun.

Any idea what the date in Sept. would be if it happens? Are you talking about the NASA Championships on 8/11 - 8/13? (The same weekend as a LRP event which I wouldn't mind missing.)

One other event for you to consider - One of my favorite events has been the Summit Point Labor Day double. It's just an awesome event! I do like the idea of an IT festival. Maybe we could also get the NARRC Runoffs into the festival as well (or was that the plan already)?

I really don't hear very much about Nelson Ledges or BeaveRun, and am not sure why. Do most people just feel that MidO is a much better track than these two? Just curious.

Ed Funk
11-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Of the tracks you mentioned visiting, I'd choose them in this order.

VIR: Beautiful facility, FUN corners, every type of corner you can imagine except banked the right way!
Mid O: Historically, everyone's heard of it. Nice facility, challenging corners, not as smooth as VIR.
Nelson: Fun, flowing track, interesting corners, narrow, maybe bumpy (the rumors have always been that it was repaved, haven't seen it yet, but haven't been there in 3-4 years) facility slightly better than the old Bryar track (Kind of primitive)
Beaver Run: Haven't been there, but I'm told that's going to change soon.

Steph is particularly enamored of Road America, (it was a fun weekend on a lot of levels), my opinion is that for our type of cars it's 5-6 drag strips between average corners. Good Brats tho!

dj10
11-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Why, Mid-Ohio of course!
[/b]

Never been there, I'll have to learn the track, ;) but..............I'm in if it's in semi warm weather.

joeg
11-25-2006, 10:49 AM
Nelson Ledges--Fastest 2.0 Mile track East of the Mississippi. Facilities are just fine.

datadude
11-25-2006, 05:09 PM
[Nelson: Fun, flowing track, interesting corners, narrow, maybe bumpy (the rumors have always been that it was repaved, haven't seen it yet, but haven't been there in 3-4 years) facility slightly better than the old ]

Nelson does have flush john and HOT showers. It's a work in progress. You probably would not recognize it. No need to bring a lawn mower, grass i usually shorter than a lot of tracks. Friendly helpfull management.

dj10
11-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Nelson Ledges--Fastest 2.0 Mile track East of the Mississippi. Facilities are just fine. [/b]

Correction, fastest 2 mle track in North America.

JeffYoung
11-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Guys, weather at VIR in March is fantastic. Remember, Summitt is quite a bit farther north and closer to the mountains. It can be a bit chilly, but by that I mean highs in the 50s.

Love to see all you guys down in March. That weekend is a fun weekend.

dj10
11-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Guys, weather at VIR in March is fantastic. Remember, Summitt is quite a bit farther north and closer to the mountains. It can be a bit chilly, but by that I mean highs in the 50s.

Love to see all you guys down in March. That weekend is a fun weekend. [/b]

Sounds like a great date to start ITR on.

RSTPerformance
11-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Dave-

I havn't been to VIR, but I have been to all the others.

I think that I like Mid-Ohio the best for all around place to go... The track is fun, safe, long, and great amenitites. Also I think that the events are run very well from workers to stewards. As compaired to other regions/events the workers at Mid-Ohio at events that I have been to do a better job dealing with passes under yellow, metal to metal contact, etc. I think the only negative I felt after visiting was that I had a hard time driving side by side with fellow competitors on the track... The line at Mid-Ohio uses the entire track, making it harder to run side by side and maintain good lap times. Personaly I would rather run side by side with someone the entire lap than give up the spot in oder to stay up with the leader of a pack we may be in.

Beaver Run is all brand new but it left somethng less desireable to me when I visited as a worker/SIT and crew for my dad in his AS car... It was a National event that I went to wich has a bit of a different atmosphere but still something was different. Maybe it was the fact that you could see most of the track from one place and it took away from the "camping" or old school track feeling I get when I go to Watkins Glen, Summit Point, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Lime Rock, etc. As a track to drive it looks like a blast with fast let'er rip sections and some slow technical turns and braking zones.

Nelson Ledges.. An old school race track well worth the visit. Much like the old Bryar or Bridghampton atmosphere, something I greatly miss from "back in the day." Not much elevation changes, but a fun layout none the less. Very fast, but safe despite the less than perfect tire walls and pavement throught the facility. With that said though all in all the track surface is in good enough condition for a race. Personally I would go to this track for an endurance race rather than a sprint race to get the best bang for my buck!!!

See you at the track, hope the holidays are treating you well;

Raymond

Racerlinn
11-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I have no direct input in the planning, but if you were interested in possibly attending a weekend of racing at a certain track in the MIDdle of OHIO you might want to pencil in the date of Aug. 11-12, 2007.....

Steve (Professional Rumor-Monger and ITA Backmarker) Linn

Dave Burchfield
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Steve..........while you're at it, make a pencil mark on the 10th too.........just in case.......

As far as Mid Ohio not being as smooth as VIR........were you speaking of the pavement BEFORE Mid Ohio was repaved?

.......and the gang in this river town goes back to work..........

ed325its
11-26-2006, 08:04 PM
[/b]

Andy,

Why the August event? Is there something special that weekend? I usually go to the 4th of July or the Brat Bash in late July, but I can be convinced to go in August if it's a good double and a strong NER turnout. My wife's family lives nearby, so the rule in my house is I'll go visit the in-laws as long as there's a race at Mid Ohio. I'll bring Carle's Bratwurst from Bucyrus.

tdw6974
11-26-2006, 08:14 PM

WHO WANTS IN?
[/b]
Well possibly :D

Andy Bettencourt
11-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Andy,

Why the August event? Is there something special that weekend? I usually go to the 4th of July or the Brat Bash in late July, but I can be convinced to go in August if it's a good double and a strong NER turnout. My wife's family lives nearby, so the rule in my house is I'll go visit the in-laws as long as there's a race at Mid Ohio. I'll bring Carle's Bratwurst from Bucyrus. [/b]

Read post #6

Racerboy03
11-27-2006, 05:24 PM

WHO WANTS IN?
[/b]

Andy, is there a rough date in August yet? Please tell me it is the 4-5 weekend...

Andy Bettencourt
11-27-2006, 07:07 PM
That is the weekend I hope for too as the NeDiv is off that weekend but it's up to the local team and M-O free dates.

BillH
12-02-2006, 12:10 PM
VIR is a wonderful track, as anyone who has raced there will tell you. Weather in March can be very nice or cold and wet. Just depends. I have had both.

But let me put my plug in for Nelson. I love racing there. Facilities and track surface are improving. Layout of course is terrific. Not as technical as Summit (my home track) but very fast and you make the speed mostly in fast sweepers. Can you say four wheel drift? Management and racers are super friendly. Fields tend not to be crowded. Don't miss it. Bill