PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed Trailer Questions

ITC Racer
11-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I am working on a project that is similar to an enclosed trailer and curious about how/if condensation is an issue in enclosed trailers.

Most seem to have metal (alum) roofs or plastic/frp. Anyone have issues or not with condensation inside the trailers? Please let me know what part of the country you are in.

Thanks,
Devin

lateapex911
11-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm in the NE, and no issues. I leave the skylight open a bit though at all times.

dickita15
11-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I have never had a problem with it but I do remember one guy who claimed it was a real problem. might have been some kind of problem with his trailer. he was not the brightest guy, you know AS driver. :D

Greg Amy
11-22-2006, 12:44 PM
Normally, I'd come back like you guys and say I'd noticed no problems with condensation - but NEVER again. Last winter I left the NX2000 in my enclosed trailer, partially disassembled, with a lot of loose parts (engine stuff, mostly) in the hatch and passenger floor area.

Didn't think much of it until March rolled around and we grabbed it to bring it to Matt's shop for the season. When I opened up the trailer, I was horrified: EVERY bit of exposed metal had significant surface rust. Struts, rotors, brakes, MY NEW CAMSHAFTS - everything. And this wasn't basic surface rust, either; the cams were pitted badly enough that I had to throw them away...

I have a different trailer this year but I'm not taking any chances; this year things will be different. I've purchased a controllable dehumidifier, one where you can set the humidity level and it'll cycle on and off, and that's now in the trailer. I'll be consistently going in there and checking for any kind of rust and/or corrosion. If necessary, I'll buy a small thermostatically-controlled electric space heater and plug that in, too.

For what it cost me in lost parts and rework, the cost of a dehumidifier and heater are peanuts...

Greg, CT

latebrake
11-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Sailboats have the same problem. i see a lot of them with solor powered vents. of course if it rains it will pull in water from anywhere that is not tight. but them it will dry it out too. oil on those parts will help. I never had the problem but mine had holes in the floor from old age so it was the same temp inside and out all the time.

tbtapper
11-29-2006, 03:17 PM
I have an older Featherlite Econolite enclosed 24 with a metal roof and full metal floor. In the summer AND winter, well ok fall, if I'm trying to keep it sort of warm or sort of cool there is significant condensation on the roof.

This is inevitable almost anywhere if there is a large discreptancy between the inside and outside temp and there is some humidity around. (I'm in the SEast Div so on rare occasions!? there's humidity)

It's really not much of a problem, occasional drips here or there but no biggie. Main isssue is that it makes my ceiling look dirty or stained and I have to wipe it down every once in a while.

Travers
ITS 19