PDA

View Full Version : MODERATORS !!!!!!!

imported_Webmaster
11-16-2006, 10:33 PM
OK I&#39;ve spent the last hour adding a few people to a new group called strangely enough; "Moderators Group" <_<

Many of you will now see a new drop down menu at the bottom left of each page which will allow you to perform a number of administrative functions like deleting, renaming and editing posts. Note: you will only see this menu when you drill down to the actual discussion thread level.

Use your new found power carefully please!!!!

Who did I pick? Those who have offered to help, those who have been here a long time and often, those who have demonstrated the cability of weilding such power fairly and infrequently....

I&#39;d publish a list of the "Moderators" but the damn page fails to load when you click the link to list all of them.
Just another reason we need to switch to a new forum package.

So along with your moderating duties please try to get those active hear to buy a T-Shirt or donate.
I&#39;d really like to get this new software installed before too long...

Important - Another broken part of this forum now is the email notification when new users register, Therefore I am going to re-enable the AUTO APPROVE functionality again. This mean the spammers WILL AUTOMATICALLY be able to post again. I&#39;m hoping that you Moderators can help delete thes eunwanted posts. Too many good users are being left behind becuase I can not figure out if they are spammers or good users when they register...also I dont have time to check the registation queue every day. Again, teh new software will fix all these issues.

Thanks for helping out!

Ron Earp
11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi,

Thanks much and I&#39;ll try to help when I can. Spammers piss me off on gt40s.com and we&#39;re fairly aggressive with them there. If you decide to go to VB I can help you a lot more with that software and some of the cool features with threads, support, etc.

Ron

imported_Webmaster
11-17-2006, 09:36 PM
Ron, We&#39;re going to VB!

Bill Miller
11-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Ron, We&#39;re going to VB!
[/b]

Cool!!!!

Ron Earp
11-19-2006, 03:11 PM
One thing that can really help out on traffic, and thus support, is vBSEO for VB. http://www.vbseo.com/

Basically, what this does is convert the thread URLs that have a format like this:

http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/...t=0&#entry96239 (http://itforum.improvedtouring.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9525&pid=96239&st=0&#entry96239)

Into a format that uses the Title of the thread as the URL and thus makes it search engine friendly. Traffic and hits on Google increased dramatically for me and www.gt40s.com when I did this. Good stuff.

imported_Webmaster
11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks Ron it&#39;s on the "to do" list.

So you guys are going to start seeing SPAM until I can get the new forums up.
Here is the process. When you see a SPAM thread, please note the user name of the spammer FIRST! and then delete the SPAM posting. Then email or IM the user name of the offender to me and I will delete their account.

Wish I could enable a proper method of doing this but with the email system being disabled due to the site hack a while back, this is our only option.

lateapex911
11-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Sounds like great things are coming down the pike.

A bit off topic, but I noticed that the "warn" percentage was 20% for a certain poster, one who I would think would be 100% clean. How does one get a warning, and are the current levels accurate?

erlrich
11-21-2006, 06:46 PM
A bit off topic, but I noticed that the "warn" percentage was 20% for a certain poster, one who I would think would be 100% clean. How does one get a warning, and are the current levels accurate? [/b] I saw that too, but just assumed, knowing who some of his friends are, that maybe someone was just messing with him. Any mod can change anyone&#39;s warn level. It really doesn&#39;t mean anything on this board...

now if this were specmiata dot com...

but I digress.

gran racing
11-21-2006, 08:36 PM
<oh, so excited smiley>

Jake, why is yours reading 99.9%?

imported_Webmaster
11-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Who is it? I&#39;ll reset it to 0%

Also, anyone else notice the site got a LOT faster today?
I set the mail notification to &#39;off&#39; somehow that was slowing all posts.
Must be all the people that had email notifications turned on.

Hopefully the new stuff wil be better in this regard.

Any spammers show up yet? Nobody has emailed me to delete accounts so I&#39;m assuming,no.

gran racing
11-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I haven&#39;t seen any.

erlrich
11-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Any spammers show up yet? Nobody has emailed me to delete accounts so I&#39;m assuming,no. [/b] Nothing so far.

StephF
11-23-2006, 05:43 AM
They&#39;re baaacckkkk....See the General Topics forum...
Spammers....what a bunch of losers.

imported_Webmaster
11-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Guys thanks for dealing with some of the spam, however please dont forget to send me an IM or email telling me WHO the spammer is. Simply deleting the post will not remove the offender.