PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel material ?

m33mcg
11-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Can an aluminum flywheel be used? IF I reminber right the old GCR said "made of same material."
Here is what the 07 GCR states.

"m. Any clutch disc and pressure plate of stock diameter may be used, provided that they shall be bolted directly to an unmodified stock flywheel. Balancing of the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assembly is permitted. Lightening of the flywheel beyond the minimum material removal necessary to balance is prohibited. The addition of an external scattershield per GCR 9.3.39., is permitted and recommended."

Z3_GoCar
11-16-2006, 06:22 PM
:018: How many cars come with Aluminum flywheels??

Looks like you need an unmodified stock flywheel to me.

Jame

ddewhurst
11-16-2006, 06:59 PM
m33mcg, adding to what James said remember please. If it (the rules) don't say ya can, ya can't.

lateapex911
11-16-2006, 07:41 PM
If the car came stock...from the factory...with an aluminium (british pronounciation, please) flywheel, tyou are a lucky guy.. If not, then it's steel for you.

Z3_GoCar
11-16-2006, 08:38 PM
:lol: Al-U-Miny-um

Jake,

Do you say Vit-a-min's or Moly-be-den-um?? Please pass the Pork scratchings and HP sauce :D

James

m33mcg
11-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the help, I thought I found a few more ponies in the new wording. :D

tom91ita
11-17-2006, 11:29 AM
well it does say

[qoute]"m. Any clutch disc and pressure plate of stock diameter may be used, provided that they shall be bolted directly to an unmodified stock flywheel. [/quote]

and not ..... the unmodified stock flywheel

just kidding :018:

ddewhurst
11-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Keeping in mind that the word "stock" is not in the GCR glossary. ;)

iambhooper
11-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Here is what the 07 GCR states.

"m. Any clutch disc and pressure plate of stock diameter may be used, provided that they shall be bolted directly to an unmodified stock flywheel. Balancing of the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate assembly is permitted. Lightening of the flywheel beyond the minimum material removal necessary to balance is prohibited. The addition of an external scattershield per GCR 9.3.39., is permitted and recommended."
[/b]

"clearing my throat" ahhhmmm.... how much material does one have to remove in order to "balance" the flywheel?

... exit stage right! :cavallo:

hoop

ddewhurst
11-17-2006, 02:41 PM
Rule:

***Lightening of the flywheel beyond the minimum material removal necessary to balance is prohibited.***

***"clearing my throat" ahhhmmm.... how much material does one have to remove in order to "balance" the flywheel?***

hoop, it will be obvious to the most casual observer that knows anything about balancing a flywheel what lightening beyond what's necessary looks like.

Have Fun ;)
David

pfcs49
11-17-2006, 03:36 PM
There are cars running IT that have (LEGAL) aluminum pressure plates and Tilton discs.

ddewhurst
11-17-2006, 09:56 PM
***There are cars running IT that have (LEGAL) aluminum pressure plates and Tilton discs.****

Rule:

Any clutch disc and pressure plate of stock diameter may be used.

Yes there are because the rule allows any weight PP & DISC of the stock diameter.

Just for info the rule has been closed for Spec Miata for year 2007 & beyond but the Miata can still run lightend stuff in ITA.

Have Fun ;)
David

joeg
11-18-2006, 09:37 AM
clearing my throat" ahhhmmm.... how much material does one have to remove in order to "balance" the flywheel?***

At least 5 lbs. for a start.

Andy Bettencourt
11-18-2006, 11:11 AM
Balancing is a techique. If you 'turn' a flywheel - like you would to resurface brake rotors, you are lightening illegally. No questions asked. When you look at a professionally balanced flywheel, you will see that there is no comparision.

iambhooper
11-18-2006, 05:29 PM
i'm glad several of you found humor in my coment about removing material... but seriously, never having had a flywheel "balanced" what is the difference, between that and turning or resurfacing?

lateapex911
11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
The flywheels I have seen have areas that get drilled out to balance.

Andy Bettencourt
11-18-2006, 08:15 PM
The flywheels I have seen have areas that get drilled out to balance. [/b]

Correct sir. This is a picture of a HORRIBLY out of balance flywheel that has been balanced.

http://www.turbomr2.com/MR2/HowTo/Engine_Upgrade/Rebuild/Images/Transmission/Flywheel_4941_small.JPG

ITZ34
11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
From that picture, it looks like it first got drilled to make it unbalanced so they could take another 5 pounds out to make it right.
Kinda like giving your kid a haircut. By the time you fix all your mistakes, he's got a GI cut. :D