PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage Builder

anthony1k
11-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm in search for a roll cage builder to update my mine in order to comply with the 07 two side bar rule. Any suggestions for anyone in the LRP vicinity?

Doc Bro
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Kessler engineering, Wallingford CT. Contact Greg Amy.

lateapex911
11-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Matts a good choice. So is John Weisberg, and he's closer to NYC, which I see on your avatar. Maybe the cars in Lime Rock though, LOL. Also, and i'm drawing a blank on his name, theres a guy who races a 914 in Prod....Chris...????. Someone might know the rest...! (Or it will come to me at 3 AM!)

JLawton
11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Also, and i'm drawing a blank on his name, theres a guy who races a 914 in Prod....Chris...????. Someone might know the rest...! (Or it will come to me at 3 AM!)
[/b]

Chris Foley, Tangarine Racing, Manchester, CT

And Matt is a good choice.......specially since he built an ARRC winning car!!!

anthony1k
11-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Thank you for the responses. Can you give me a bit more info to track down the people like business names, emails, maybe phone numbers?

StephF
11-16-2006, 05:43 AM
Rick Leavitt in Canton Ct, Northern Fabrications. :023:
He's doing wonderful things with cages. We had one of our cars done last winter. He's doing this as his business, so he's up on what's legal. I was very impressed with the workmanship and finish on his stuff. And he didn't leave us with a depleted budget either!
He should be in the phone book.

JLawton
11-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Matt Kessler - (203) 444-1467

DaveITB1
11-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Bob Smart of Smarty's Auto, a.k.a. The Hoosier Guy, has an ITE 944 on the lift right now.
He's building it for a racer in Florida. Give him a call.

He's in Round Top, NY (1hr due west of LRP).
518-622-0329 ext.11 for the shop
Start leaving a message, and if he's in the shop, he'll pick up.

He just did my cage, with nascar bars, in my '85 BMW 318i. He is a top-quality welder (anyone whose had work done at the track by him can attest).

anthony1k
11-16-2006, 10:28 PM
Great information! Thank you all for the input. I plan to start calling some of these people shortly.

RSTPerformance
11-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Bob Smart of Smarty's Auto, a.k.a. The Hoosier Guy, is a top-quality welder (anyone whose had work done at the track by him can attest).
[/b]

Unfortunatly I can attest, he does a GREAT job welding. All the stuf we have done was a "temp fix" that has become perminant as we would not be able to find anyone to do it better.

Chris Howard also makes great cages. He has built both of the ones in our Audi's and another car for us.

Raymond "I can weld :rolleyes: " Blethen

snk328is
11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I didn't want to start a new topic because this one is already alive and well...

Does anybody know a good cage builder near Boston? I just took out my bolt-in and I'm looking to upgrade to a custom weld-in over the long winter break.

Also, how much should I expect to pay? There was a guy visiting a local shop just to do cages recently and he was charging $2,500 for a weld-in cage with NASCAR bars. I want to spend a lot less than that (~$1,200-$1,500).

TIA!

Nobu
ITR next year...

Greg Amy
11-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Honestly, Nobu, it's going to be extremely difficult to find anyone willing to build a good-quality cage for less than $2000. Couple the increasing price of steel, the details of rollcage requirements, and the amount of labor involved, even $2000 is becoming rare...

Greg

zchris
11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
TIA, depending on car type and how much prep you do, I can probably help. I am in Holliston and can be reached at 508 429 6717. Thanks
Chris Howard

eprodrx7
11-19-2006, 09:14 PM
I'll be moving my shop to upstate NY (Rochester) soon but I'd be happy to talk with you about a cage. I still have bis. in southern CT and will be going back and forth a lot. I'm sure we could work something out. 203-556-0427

John Weisberg
BERG Racing

Speed Raycer
11-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Honestly, Nobu, it's going to be extremely difficult to find anyone willing to build a good-quality cage for less than $2000. Couple the increasing price of steel, the details of rollcage requirements, and the amount of labor involved, even $2000 is becoming rare...
Greg
[/b]

Greg... sub $2K cages are fairly common here in St. Louis ;) of course I'm still in it for the love of doing it. Might be different if it was putting food on the table rather than tires on the car ;)

EProd does some nice work!

JimLill
11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I'll be moving my shop to upstate NY (Rochester) soon but I'd be happy to talk with you about a cage. I still have bis. in southern CT and will be going back and forth a lot. I'm sure we could work something out. 203-556-0427[/b]

I'll see you when you get to Rochester!

snk328is
11-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys. I'm looking for a fairly simple cage with dash bar, foot protection and the X-style door bars with gussets. I'm not tying the rear down tubes to my strut towers so fabbing up that area should be easier than it would be otherwise.

The interior is already gutted, seats taken out and the old cage has also been taken out. Will it still cost $2,000+?

zchris
11-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Not from me, about 1500. Thats Nascar drivers side and x on passenger side. You did not mention whether or not the dash is in. Thats extra if you want that R&R'd. Thanks
Chris Howard

snk328is
11-21-2006, 09:37 AM
Not from me, about 1500. Thats Nascar drivers side and x on passenger side. You did not mention whether or not the dash is in. Thats extra if you want that R&R'd. Thanks
Chris Howard
[/b]

The dash is currently in but can be taken out very easily. In fact, I'm going to take it out before the car goes in for the cage. I also don't see any added benefit of having NASCAR bars so I prefer the X on the driver side, which should mean a lot less bending and welding in that part of the car.

zchris and eprod, you both have messages... Thanks guys!

WillM
11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
TIA, depending on car type and how much prep you do, I can probably help. I am in Holliston and can be reached at 508 429 6717. Thanks
Chris Howard
[/b]

Just voicing my big :023: for Chris' work and service. He's done cages for several friends and one for me a few years ago. He'll be getting another one of our cars within the next few weeks. :)

snk328is
11-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Just voicing my big :023: for Chris' work and service. He's done cages for several friends and one for me a few years ago. He'll be getting another one of our cars within the next few weeks. :)
[/b]

Would you happen to have any pictures of the complete works?

bhoss
11-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I have a Chris Howard cage in my Miata as well - another happy customer. I have pictures of my cage as well as several other Miata cages that Chris has done. Email me at [email protected] and I will forward the pictures to you.

Bill Hosselbarth
1994 Miata

WillM
11-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Would you happen to have any pictures of the complete works?
[/b]

Sorry, I don't have any pictures handy, but build quality wise, the cage is similar to Bill's. My cage is a bit different because I asked Chris to build a custom cage which would allow me to retain the use of a convertible soft top (Miata). My next car will have a similar cage to Bill's, including NASCAR bars etc. :)

snk328is
11-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a Chris Howard cage in my Miata as well - another happy customer. I have pictures of my cage as well as several other Miata cages that Chris has done. Email me at [email protected] and I will forward the pictures to you.
Bill Hosselbarth
1994 Miata
[/b]

Thanks for sending me the pics. The cage pics look great!

Sorry, I don't have any pictures handy, but build quality wise, the cage is similar to Bill's. My cage is a bit different because I asked Chris to build a custom cage which would allow me to retain the use of a convertible soft top (Miata). My next car will have a similar cage to Bill's, including NASCAR bars etc. :)
[/b]

Thanks Will. I think your Miata cage was in Bill's set of pics.

JimLill
03-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Matts a good choice. So is John Weisberg, and he's closer to NYC,
[/b]

John's moved to upstate NY....

http://www.vectorbd.com/berg