PDA

View Full Version : clutch transmission - sheared bolts

jasonp
11-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I had a failure on my MK2. The flywheel bolts sheared (the 12 point bolts)- are there the clutch bolts or the flywheels bolts??

Anyway, I race with another fellow in a hopped up Scirocco (GT3) and he has had these bolts shear on a regular basis. Is this a common problem? Are stronger or more flexible bolts available to correct this? Any recommendations?

I ordered a 4 puck clutch, pressure plate and ARP replacement bolts from BSI a couple years ago and it all lasted until now.

Bill Miller
11-12-2006, 12:36 PM
I had a failure on my MK2. The flywheel bolts sheared (the 12 point bolts)- are there the clutch bolts or the flywheels bolts??

Anyway, I race with another fellow in a hopped up Scirocco (GT3) and he has had these bolts shear on a regular basis. Is this a common problem? Are stronger or more flexible bolts available to correct this? Any recommendations?

I ordered a 4 puck clutch, pressure plate and ARP replacement bolts from BSI a couple years ago and it all lasted until now.
[/b]

Those are the bolts that hold the flywheel to the pressure plate. I've never had a problem w/ those bolts failing. I'm really surprised that they would fail in a GT3 car, as I would suspect that he's running a lightened flywheel. And I'm really surprised that you had ARP bolts fail. I suspect that they may have backed out, leading to the failure. It's also important to make sure they're torqued properly.

Conover
11-13-2006, 11:22 AM
We always use new factory bolts for both the flywheel and pressure plate anytime the clutch is disassembled, never had any problems. On the flywheel bolts it is important to follow the torque sequence as well as the torque figures.

Dave Zaslow
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Unfortunatly I have heard of this failure on an EP car.

Do not reuse any bolts.

Follow Cameron's advice on sequences and torque.

And use Loctite. The factory bolts come with it.

Dave Z

Bildon
11-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Look at your component and assembly balance as well. Could be vibrations specific to your engine causing it as it is not really a "common" problem.