PDA

View Full Version : The Longest Day is Back! 24 hours at Nelson

Hahn63
11-06-2006, 03:23 PM
It's confirmed , the Longest Day is back and will be held at Nelson Ledges on August 24-26, 2007. I should have more information soon. :eclipsee_steering:

Let me know if you have anything you would like to see incorporated into the event. :birra:

This event will not be one to miss. The track is pulling out all the stops to make this return of the Longest Day the best ever. :smilie_pokal:

Roland

Knestis
11-06-2006, 03:25 PM
Expect us to be there. If you are looking for a ride, get in touch with us NOW rather than waiting until it's too late...

Kirk and the Gang

JohnRW
11-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I like the move to late August. The Nelson 12-Hour was just too close to the SP 12, date-wise. Yeah...we do them all...but it's nice to have a little recovery time between the thrashes.

Several 'hopes' for the 24 at the Nelsonring:
Hope they include SRF (free entertainment)
Hope they keep the same stop & refueling rules as they've had at the 12 Hour (it works...don't screw with success)
Hope they add some of those little reflective thingys to entry and exit curbing, like appeared at VIR this season (I had a bad habit of falling off the exit of the Carousel in the dark at the Nelson 12 this summer).
Hope it rains (really)

RacerBowie
11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Hell yes! We are in!

Who is there to battle with in ITA?

Hahn63
11-06-2006, 03:54 PM
SRF ... absolutley! Love to watch them too. :)

Refueling rules will be about the same, no big changes in store.

Working on reflectors , other ideas also in the works ( read possible lighting over sections of track)

NO.......rain.... I did say no right? :018:

So Kirk how may cars you bringing? :rolleyes:

Edited so I can type the right names.... too many cold tablets!

RacerBowie,

You have me( RX7) and Steve Colletti (Acura) for sure. Bring your "A" game we play hard and have lots of fun... What will you be running?

Roland

RacerBowie
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
RacerBowie,

You have me( RX7) and Steve Colletti (Acura) for sure. Bring your "A" game we play hard and have lots of fun... What will you be running?

Roland
[/b]

We'll be running the ITA Miata that we just finished 3rd with at the VIR 13 hour. Hell, it held up so well it could probably run the thing right now with nothing but a brake pad swap!

A better tune on the dyno and some softer tires will make a big difference. I can't wait!

oh yeah, what are the refueling rules?

lateapex911
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Last I was at Nelson was when RX-7 first gens were in SS, and we won...why go back if theres no room for improvement, LOL...I liked the event a lot, but the pits...ugg...are they still gravel??

Whats the general condition of the facility?

Hahn63
11-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Jake,

I think you need to come back to Nelson and show us again how you did it! :D

The track is much better now that Scott and Keri Lane are running the show. Sections of the track have been repaved, drainage improved , the swamp was drained and the grass looks like a golf course! Pit lane still needs some help but it is not gravel and the last time I checked you shouldn't be racing on that part of the track. :rolleyes:

Come check it out you'll be pleasantly suprised at how nice the facilities are now....did I mention showers and flush toliets too!

Knestis
11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Hope it rains (really)[/b]

HELL YEAH. Sorry Greg. Sometimes it isn't about keeping my teammates happy.

So Kirk how may cars you bringing? rolleyes.gif[/b]

How many do you need?

I started noodling on this challenge and, as much experience as we've had, I've never done a 24. My first question is, "What is the optimum number of drivers?" Then, "How do you use them?" If we just extrapolated our typical 4-driver rotation to a race twice as long as Summit, that would be seem to be a recipe for exhaustion - four stints separated by not enough time to actually recover...

I'd be tempted to think about something like six drivers, splitting the entire thing into two 12-hour races. One crew could just stay at the hotel until it was time for their half to start. The first could then go back to the hotel and sack out for half a day before coming back for the podium. :)

K

Bill Miller
11-06-2006, 08:27 PM
HELL YEAH. Sorry Greg. Sometimes it isn't about keeping my teammates happy.
How many do you need?

I started noodling on this challenge and, as much experience as we've had, I've never done a 24. My first question is, "What is the optimum number of drivers?" Then, "How do you use them?" If we just extrapolated our typical 4-driver rotation to a race twice as long as Summit, that would be seem to be a recipe for exhaustion - four stints separated by not enough time to actually recover...

I'd be tempted to think about something like six drivers, splitting the entire thing into two 12-hour races. One crew could just stay at the hotel until it was time for their half to start. The first could then go back to the hotel and sack out for half a day before coming back for the podium. :)

K
[/b]

Two words Kirk, Fuel Cell!

Seriously, I'm in, and let's talk about this off line.

R2 Racing
11-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Kirk & Bowie,
Since my ass is too big to actually drive anyone elses car, I will be available for beer drinking. :023:

I haven't been back to Nelson since June of 2001 because it was so bad back then, I just can't bring myself to go back. One day I will though because they seem like they've been making huge improvements to the track and the layout is an absolute blast.

Greg Amy
11-06-2006, 09:57 PM
HELL YEAH. Sorry Greg. Sometimes it isn't about keeping my teammates happy.[/b]

'S Ok; I'll be in YOUR car... :D

My first question is, "What is the optimum number of drivers?"[/b]

I've done 24s with four drivers; it's really not that bad. The key is that the not-driving drivers need to get away and not be bothered, and double-stinting is common in the wee hours (hey, as long as he's up, he's a better adrenalinized resource than waking up someone else from a deep sleep). Plus, it helps if the stints are longer than 1.5 hours...fuel cell, anyone?

Then again, with six drivers you still get about 4 hours' track time PLUS the expenses are spread out through 50% more pockets...

RSTPerformance
11-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Kirk-

Just for curiosity... not sure if you are willing to share online or offline but what are the estimated expenses (budgeted) for a top notch effort like yours? I am thinking that an ITB Golf III is more expensive than a miata, but less than some oddballs like our cars, so I am wondering what a "normal" car might cost.

Raymond

JohnRW
11-07-2006, 09:35 AM
The key is that the not-driving drivers need to get away and not be bothered, and double-stinting is common in the wee hours (hey, as long as he's up, he's a better adrenalinized resource than waking up someone else from a deep sleep). [/b]

Amen.

I always seemed to be the "Prince of Darkness" at the Moroso 24's, doing the double shift when the creepy info-mercials and Rev. Gene Scott were on late-night TV. I always liked that (the double, not the creepy TV), and was always pissed when it ran out of gas for the second time. Hint: Select a pit near a porta-potty...or move one close. We dragged a big motorhome to the track, so 'off-duty' drivers and crew could catch some Zzzz's. Have earplugs.

"4" was our magic driver number for 24's. Attitude and "balance of karma" more important than outright speed. Musta worked...couple of 24 class wins...of course the Hondas welding their rotors to their backing plates trying to chase us down sure did help.

Knestis
11-07-2006, 09:42 AM
... Plus, it helps if the stints are longer than 1.5 hours...fuel cell, anyone? ...
[/b]
For the sake of discussion then, what's an optimum stint length? At one point when I suggested a 25-gal. cell, one learned individual said, "I sure as hell don't want to be in the car for 3-1/2 hours!" - or words to that effect.

If the tank is too big, the maximum time-in-car rules at most events will make it impossible to double-stint a driver. If that's a factor, the magic number at VIR would have been 2 hours' worth of gas.

K

Bill Miller
11-07-2006, 10:41 AM
For the sake of discussion then, what's an optimum stint length? At one point when I suggested a 25-gal. cell, one learned individual said, "I sure as hell don't want to be in the car for 3-1/2 hours!" - or words to that effect.

If the tank is too big, the maximum time-in-car rules at most events will make it impossible to double-stint a driver. If that's a factor, the magic number at VIR would have been 2 hours' worth of gas.

K
[/b]

Nothing personal to the person that made the comment, but if they're not prepared to do a 3 - 3.5 hr stint, they're not the person that you want for a 24 hr race. Double-length stints like that are pretty much required for a 24 hr race if you want any chance at a win.

JohnRW
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Nothing personal to the person that made the comment, but if they're not prepared to do a 3 - 3.5 hr stint, they're not the person that you want for a 24 hr race. Double-length stints like that are pretty much required for a 24 hr race if you want any chance at a win.
[/b]

Disagree, a whole bunch.

If you've got a driver who can remain consistant thru a 3 hour shift, great. If not, no big deal. Consistancy is worth more than 'ass-in-seat time'.

Knestis
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
... what are the estimated expenses (budgeted) for a top notch effort like yours? I am thinking that an ITB Golf III is more expensive than a miata, but less than some oddballs like our cars, so I am wondering what a "normal" car might cost.
[/b]
You really have to go through and add up what you expect it will be for your particular situation. Travel for example: We rent a cube van to lug all of our junk and for VIR, it was about $170 including fuel. It was approximately six times that for the trip to Summit. Entry fees are different, race lengths dictate fuel needs (we used about 100 gallons for the 13 and the test day), and we all do food differently...

To my way of thinking, what we might do differently than some folks is replace failure-point pieces proactively - hubs, bearings, CV joints, stub axles, etc. - rather than waiting until the bust. That costs, of course.

You also have to budget for amortization of the costs associated with building the car, over some reasonable lifetime (aka "using up the car"). Struts aren't a consummable (like tires or fuel) and don't get replaced as a matter of course, but they do have a lifespan. I actually have a per-hour estimate of what rebuilds, etc. cost and have in fact updated that math since we built a "real" IT engine to replace the stock one we ran for two years.

Short answer is that there is no short answer.

K

Bill Miller
11-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Disagree, a whole bunch.

If you've got a driver who can remain consistant thru a 3 hour shift, great. If not, no big deal. Consistancy is worth more than 'ass-in-seat time'.
[/b]

John,

How many 24hr races have you run or been a part of?

Let's do the math. If you cut stint time from 3hrs to 1.5 hrs, you've just doubled the number of pit stops. Figure you're going to lose at least one lap on a long course like VIR (~2:30 lap times) and probably 2 laps on a shorter course like Summit Point (~1:30 lap times). So, if you run 3hr stints, that's 8 stints and 7 pits stops (24hr race, assuming no unscheduled pit stops). Cut the stint time to 1.5hrs, and you kick your number of stints up to 16, but more importantly, you kick your number of pit stops up to 15. That's 8 more pit stops, which means 8-16 'lost' laps. That's at least 20 minutes that you 'give away'. So, yes, it is a big deal.

To my way of thinking, what we might do differently than some folks is replace failure-point pieces proactively - hubs, bearings, CV joints, stub axles, etc. - rather than waiting until the bust. That costs, of course.[/b]

You forgot to add transmissions to that list!! :P

JohnRW
11-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Considering it just a "time on tank" math problem is a gross simplication. Just because you CAN put a big cell in a car doesn't mean that you SHOULD put a big cell in there. Adding a bigger cell creates other problems...weight, handling and driver fatigue.

Most club racers are pretty much 'well-done' at the 2 hour mark. They don't do this often, and don't have experience pacing themselves. We watch lap times and will call for a driver change if lap times get erratic. In previous years, we'd pulled 'time cards' on rival driver's cars in other enduros, and run them thru a spreadsheet to see who the consistant drivers were...because we knew that consistancy and stability was more important than outright speed. At the Summit Point 12 Hour, the only year we were ever beaten in Showroom Stock, I had walked down pitlane pre-race and told one other team "YOU are our competition", even though there were 3 RunOffs winners running in several other SS cars. Ask Joe Leonard/5-Star of the DC Region...we knew that THEY would be the guys to beat us, based on their ability to perform. We told them pre-race that if we got beat, it would be by them...and it was them at the checker.

It's romantic to think that you'll have a team of drivers who will all perform well with 3+ hour shifts in the car, but it's fantasy. Somebody will end up on their roof, or stuck in a wall. That's a sudden reality-check that maybe it's not such a hot strategy, after all. Driver fatigue, and the inevitable problems that that will cause will more than eat up any benefits of "going long" on fuel.

Having all your drivers doing 3+ hour shifts, or even as a "passport to entry", is not a good idea. I'll stand by that.

How many 24hr races have you run or been a part of?[/b]

Driven as a part of a 4-driver team at two 24 hour races. Driven as half of a two driver team at fifteen 12-ish hour races. And you ? Anytime you'd like to publicly compare racing resumés, let me know.

BillW
11-08-2006, 09:25 AM
John is 100% correct.. I'll give up a 90 sec pit stop to get a fresh driver in the car that can turn more consistent times and be more alert on the track. Bad s--t starts to happen after 2 hr stints when drivers get sloppy... especially at 3AM with little or no sleep. Why risk throwing away an entire race to due to driver error.

The teams that runs 3hr stints probably won't finish... (ask Brian M) ;)

We'll be doing the Nelson 24 with 4 drivers which will give each driver about 5 hrs rest between stints (dictated by fuel capacity)

Bill

mgyip
11-08-2006, 05:43 PM
It's romantic to think that you'll have a team of drivers who will all perform well with 3+ hour shifts in the car, but it's fantasy. Somebody will end up on their roof, or stuck in a wall. That's a sudden reality-check that maybe it's not such a hot strategy, after all. Driver fatigue, and the inevitable problems that that will cause will more than eat up any benefits of "going long" on fuel.[/b]

Romantic or otherwise, building an endurance team around drivers who can't (sorry for the horrible pun) endure is silly. I've worked with one team that has had drivers who are more than capable of sitting in the car for 3+ hours without a mishap. Said team won the 12-Hours at the Point a few years back and took a 2nd at Moroso in '99 or '00 - I can't remember anymore. The same team ran the Tropical 12-Hour this year in Homestead and the Nelson 12-Hour with only 2 drivers and finished 2nd to an SRF at Homestead and 2nd to a Miata at Nelson. It is certainly possible.

The idea of using a monster-cell and making few stops is a race strategy that clearly works. Adding a large cell can have drawbacks BUT it's all about car preparation. If you just drop a 25 gallon cell in the back of a car that wasn't intended for that kind of weight, you'll have problems - no sh*t. As a friend always says to me PPP = PPP - Piss Poor Preparation = Piss Poor Performance.

Matthew

trd771
11-08-2006, 10:50 PM
The real issue you all are missing is the name. Now that it will be in August, how can they get by calling it the Longest Day. It used to be run on the 3rd weekend in June, around the longest daylight of the year. However, I am glad to hear this event is back. Been to it a few times and been apart of two winning teams and it is a great event.

85itccivic
11-09-2006, 12:55 AM
proof that the long fuel stints work well can be furnished by the little CRX that could at VIR last weekend. Because of an ontrack incident which caused an early stop by one of our drivers we kept the next driver in the car 3 hours to get to the next appointed stop. We made 4 stops with 5 drivers . I felt it a big help to put a fresh driver in the car at every stop with this strategy. We moved from 74 on the grid to 52 at the finish. At one time we were as high as 49th on the track. We beat a lot of faster cars by staying on the track . Our flexibility granted by carrying extra fuel made it much easier to work around our pit mates schedule so we were not trying to pit at the same time . The Nissan ITC car was making stops about every hour and a half . This made our life much easier because of the extra time they spent in the pits.

mgyip
11-09-2006, 09:13 AM
The Nissan ITC car was making stops about every hour and a half . [/b]

The Pulsar didn't stop ever 1 1/2 hours for fuel either :o They were paddocked next to us and had a "roadside table" set out to fix the car when it came off the track with frightening regularity.

Back to the subject of seat time - most events have a maximum allowable seat time which was 4 hours in this case. We had one driver who would have gladly finished the event but had to vacate the seat due to that maximum time rule - not a complaint, just an observation. Then again, this is the same driver who routinely double-stints b/c he enjoys racing and is no slower/faster at one minute than he is at 4 hours. Given the previous comments, I can't believe that no one ascribes to the pit strategy of "Go as fast and as long as possible on as much fuel as allowed".

To quote that famous line from Better Off Dead - "Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn"

Green Flag Inc
11-13-2006, 04:17 PM
This sounds like a great event. I got into road racing the year after The Longest Night ceased to exist at Moroso, but absolutely love these enduros. Ledges is a hell of a drive but I just might talk Mike V into that one. Anybody know when the intent to run / registration process will open? Regards, Chris B #99ITS

slydrite
11-13-2006, 08:10 PM
[/b]

completely agree!

Hahn63
11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
This sounds like a great event. I got into road racing the year after The Longest Night ceased to exist at Moroso, but absolutely love these enduros. Ledges is a hell of a drive but I just might talk Mike V into that one. Anybody know when the intent to run / registration process will open? Regards, Chris B #99ITS
[/b]

Chris, we are working on the process now. We hope to have all the information by December. I'll keep everyone posted. Come on up we love to have you! You will not be sorry you made the drive!

All, I need input on how to keep entries fair for all. We only have 50 spots and I don't want to end up with the mess Summit has for the 12 hour. The track is asking to keep 10 spots open for "Sponsor Teams" and such. So that only leaves 40. I want to see a good mix of cars and would like to see the people that have supported the 12 hour of Nelson get some consideration but I am open to any reasonable ideas.

Roland

RSTPerformance
11-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Chris, we are working on the process now. We hope to have all the information by December. I'll keep everyone posted. Come on up we love to have you! You will not be sorry you made the drive!

All, I need input on how to keep entries fair for all. We only have 50 spots and I don't want to end up with the mess Summit has for the 12 hour. The track is asking to keep 10 spots open for "Sponsor Teams" and such. So that only leaves 40. I want to see a good mix of cars and would like to see the people that have supported the 12 hour of Nelson get some consideration but I am open to any reasonable ideas.

Roland
[/b]

My suggestions...
All spots are on a first come bases.
Deadlines to fit into one of the following catagories is...
After the deadline is reached competitors from the waiting lists will be filled into other Tier spots in order of highest Teir seniority starting with Tier 1. Example: Tier 1 waiting list entrants have first dibs on open slots at the time of the deadline, then Tier 2, and lastly Tier 3. If their are not enough slots to fill all the reservations then those who registered before the deadline will have seniority if spots open up.
1st tear: 10 spots open for all Sponsor Teams. To be a sponsor team you must meet the following minimum requirements...
2nd Tear: 20 spots will be open for past compeating teams of the Nelson 12hr. Please send us a results sheet to confirm your attendance with your registration.
3rd Tear: 20 spots are open for any team wishing to compete in the Nelson 24hr.
After the deadline all new entrants reguardless of Tier will be at the bottom of the waiting list in order of the date we recieve the entry.

Raymond

JamesB
11-15-2006, 02:02 PM
I think what he was after was the SM mafia taking up most of the seats out there.

That I have no idea how to avoid other then to maybe limit per class in the first phase of registration with a lottory for the remaining X slots. But you can still get tons of miata due to ITA, ITS, SM and SSM.

Hahn63
11-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I think what he was after was the SM mafia taking up most of the seats out there.

[/b]

James, That is not my intent at all. SM is a very welcome group and they put on a good show. If we end up with a bunch of them so be it. Now if they fill the enitre field we may have to look at it. :P

I just want a fair registration process and want to attract quality teams. I'm not looking for pro teams ( they are welcome too!) but want to see our very talented ameture teams( we have a lot of them) strut thier stuff.

Roland

Knestis
11-15-2006, 08:33 PM
... The track is asking to keep 10 spots open for "Sponsor Teams" and such. So that only leaves 40. ...[/b]

Am I going to be sorry if I ask what this means? If I - or my sponsor - pony up $$ for the event, we get a guaranteed starting spot?? There are plenty of other opportunities for the well-heeled to buy advantages in this game, enough that this strikes me as a bit much. Or tell me I don't understand...

After the hullaballoo with the Summit 12 hour in 2005 (it was no biggie this year, I don't think) we talked about how it might be done better. I'd start by tying the entry to a LOGBOOK NUMBER rather than a person. Whether by lottery or postmark, once an entry is awarded it should not be subject to the whims of the free market like a Tickle Me Elmo on eBay. If you get it, use it on the car for which the entry was submitted, or lose your place. No speculative entries. No faux entrants.

I think it would be appropriate to offer right-of-first-refusal to the previous year's class champion entrant, for the purpose of defending their title. However, if you're running a different class, that's out the window. Take the preferences very far at all and it can get silly: Do I need to enlist a driver for my team who has done previous Longest Days, in order to score a spot? What does "people that have supported the 12 hour of Nelson" end up meaning, in application? If I've entered four of them, do I get a greater preference than someone who's entered three?

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that spots should go to those who are willing to get their stuff in order well in advance, whether that means they get pulled out of a pool of qualified entries or get in the show by virtue of being in line first. Use a postmark entry opening date (forget the fax entries and don't accept FedEx, etc.) and fill the slots first-come, first-served in the order they are stamped. If there are more than 50 postmarked Day 1, everyone has an equal shot in a blind drawing and the remainder get put in order of draw, into a reserve list. If there are 40 on Day 1 and 20 on Day 2, fill the first 40 spots then draw from the second batch for random assignment to the remaining 10 slots. And so on.

Regardless of what one thinks about Miati, class shouldn't have any other bearing on the entry process, perhaps other than the aforementioned Defending Champion provisional.

FWIW.

K

Bildon
11-15-2006, 09:28 PM
I'm available if anyone wants a funded driver who know how to win at Nelson.
I wont pay in cash but I can pay in race tires :P

I've won a buncho races here and know the track as well as any.
ITB times: 1:20
ITS times: 1:18

Oh and I think a 3 hour stint is nothing. I've done 2, 24 hour races and many ECRs.

I'm somewhat local to Nelson so bringing a support trailer and bribing the locals is not a problem.

Marc
11-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Roland,

On a purely selfish note, having done 2 of the recent 12 hours at Nelson, I'm all for some sort of consideration being given to teams that have supported the race in the past. I also believe that a returning core group of teams will be good for the race long term. 24 hour events require a whole different level of planning and preparation than a 12 or 13 hour effort, and if you can somewhat "guarantee" a spot to a limited number of teams that will put in that effort year after year, you can build a good base of support - teams could plan on it and structure their schedules around it.

On a slightly less selfish note (since we haven't won out there - yet), it would also be nice to see past class winners invited back. It was tough at Summit a couple years ago having one of the class champs lose at the lottery drawing before he ever turned a wheel on the track.

Whatever you decide, thanks for taking this on. Preparing to race is tough enough. Preparing to stage an event like this must be a logistical nightmare ...

marc

JamesB
11-16-2006, 10:35 AM
James, That is not my intent at all. SM is a very welcome group and they put on a good show. If we end up with a bunch of them so be it. Now if they fill the enitre field we may have to look at it. :P

I just want a fair registration process and want to attract quality teams. I'm not looking for pro teams ( they are welcome too!) but want to see our very talented ameture teams( we have a lot of them) strut thier stuff.

Roland
[/b]

Ohhhhh you mean the past with the squatters on registrations. I do agree thats hard to contain. But then I need to ponder the suggestions that came from Dr. K. Tieing the registration to a logbook would work. However, what about exceptions when say the logbook registered gets rolled at another event and they same team wants to enter a different car?

As long as the sane whatifs are covered I think his ideas are pretty much what your after.

Knestis
11-16-2006, 10:53 AM
...what about exceptions when say the logbook registered gets rolled at another event and they same team wants to enter a different car? ...[/b]

Don't think i didn't consider this possibility, having been in exactly that situation when I clobbered Pablo I a month before the VIR 13 last year.

A "boy that sucks" waiver process could be written into the supps, requiring submission of photo evidence or copy of the tech inspector's logbook notes after a major shunt. The same question has to get addressed re: entry/deposit submissions, and bail-out/refund clauses, too.

K

Hahn63
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Am I going to be sorry if I ask what this means? If I - or my sponsor - pony up $$ for the event, we get a guaranteed starting spot?? There are plenty of other opportunities for the well-heeled to buy advantages in this game, enough that this strikes me as a bit much. Or tell me I don't understand...

[/b]

You don't understand. :D

I should have used the words "Promoter Option” The track wants to encourage media to participate in this event. To that end they are handing out free entries (with stipulations on event coverage attached) to entice participation from them. The track is also looking for a few “factory prototypes” that have participated in the past. Any unused spots will be put back in the pot for all to use.

We have yet to decide how entries will be done, thanks to all that have put in ideas so far, I’m still looking for input on this. Trying to please everyone can be a hard thing to do, but I’m sure we can find a way.

I’m hoping the field will be large enough to worry about who gets what spots. This, of course, is always a concern for an event of this type. My gut feeling is it will fill up, only time will tell.

Thanks for the encouraging words, I hope not to disappoint!

Roland

Knestis
11-16-2006, 05:00 PM
That's some better, I suppose...

Thanks for clarifying.

K

Greg Amy
11-16-2006, 05:35 PM
That's some better, I suppose...[/b]

...especially if we get a hack as a team mate on one of the cars...

jjjanos
11-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Lots of options...

If you want to reward loyalty, I suggest setting two entry dates.

Open registration to past ENTRANTS on Day 1.
Open it everyone else on Day X.

Most important - the entrant must be a driver in the car. That's what Summit did this year and it weeded out most of the chaff.

I say entrants because if you open to past participants, what happens if the 6-driver team splits up and submits 6 entries?

I also recommend a server upgrade if your are going to allow internet entries. Ya don't want the server to crash when the open entry deadline hits.

Just my $0.02

Jeff

JohnRW
11-17-2006, 10:32 AM
It's NEOhio's race. They're perfectly within bounds creating any sort of entry-preference system they want. Nothing in the GCR or the Ops Manual restricts that.

It's not a democracy. No flag-waving and singing egalitarian fight songs while dragging people to the guillotines. If they want to reserve slots for potential 'sponsor-linked' entrants, to garner publicity, further sponsor interest or even just snag free hot dogs for Joe to sling at the concession trailer, that's OK. They need to serve their own core constituency...their own members and competitors...and it's not unethical/immoral/unsporting/subversive to create an entry system that does just that. Mirror of life, actually.

They have two major obligations:
1.) Make money on the event
2.) Follow the GCR and whatever Supplementals they create

They're an experienced 'racing Region'...I'm confident that they'll do #2, as they always do. Any lattitude they need to hit item #1....they should take. That might include sponsor-linked teams, etc. Scheduling of past 12's at the Ledges have been pinched in among a busy Nat'l & Reg'l schedule, and in close proximity to the SP12, which has thinned the field. The August date seems like a winner....the Nat'l season, in most divisions, has dwindled by then, and the RunOffs are still a long way away.

More power to'em.

Will I lobby for a system that includes any the preferences mentioned by others ? Sure...I want to 'get in', too. But...I'm not going to start trying to run their Region for them.

Knestis
11-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Of course, John is right. I was just replying to "I need input on how to keep entries fair for all..."

Another pet peeve (if anyone cares) - numbers. At VIR, we were forced to cover up these...

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/mk3.2/donefront.jpg

...complete with reflective backgrounds, with these...

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/mk3.2/vir03.jpg

...under pointed threats of exclusion.

I TOTALLY understand why number visibility is an issue but am frankly irritated that those of us who do the right thing get punished right along with those who can't make their numbers visible in the first place. It costs everyone $$ and becomes one more task for an overworked region to deal with for a long race.

Instead, specify what is required in the supps ("black sans serif font numbers on pure white backgrounds," or whatever) and contact someone with a mobile vinyl cutter to be on-site to sell appropriate stuff to anyone who shows up with goofy, loopy stock car numbers in red-on-blue, with silver drop shadows...

My issue isn't with sponsor placards (a la what we had at this past Summit 12). That's totally OK.

Kirk (who takes appearances seriously)

JohnRW
11-17-2006, 11:59 AM
Kirk (who takes appearances seriously)
[/b]

How did that dent 'appear' ?

JamesB
11-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Looks like your standard nose where it didnt belong move in mid corner.

Bill Miller
11-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Looks like your standard nose where it didnt belong move in mid corner.
[/b]

James,

IIRC, that's no ordinary nose, it was a Porsche nose! :P

JamesB
11-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Well I knew it wasnt a miata or CRX nose. the VW tanks are stronger then those parts. I figured it was either a volvo, vag, or possibly a well placed mazda.

Knestis
11-17-2006, 03:39 PM
That was a 944 pilot who had 1.5 Porsche widths available under braking for T1, didn't use them, then tried to pass me after I turned in. I'm sure he'd tell you that I "closed the door on him" but if you had seen the speed differential of the hit, what I really did was keep him from sailing off into the grass...

I should have anticipated that he'd be a dork so I take partial responsibility.

K

EDIT - and to be clear, this was an ITS car that was consistently slower than we were...

Bill Miller
11-18-2006, 11:26 AM
That was a 944 pilot who had 1.5 Porsche widths available under braking for T1, didn't use them, then tried to pass me after I turned in. I'm sure he'd tell you that I "closed the door on him" but if you had seen the speed differential of the hit, what I really did was keep him from sailing off into the grass...

I should have anticipated that he'd be a dork so I take partial responsibility.

K

EDIT - and to be clear, this was an ITS car that was consistently slower than we were...
[/b]

Uh Kirk, I think you'll be taking full responsibility for that (well, at least for fixing it) :P :birra:

jamsilvia
11-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Another pet peeve (if anyone cares) - numbers. At VIR, we were forced to cover up these...

...complete with reflective backgrounds, with these...

...under pointed threats of exclusion.

Instead, specify what is required in the supps ("black sans serif font numbers on pure white backgrounds," or whatever) and contact someone with a mobile vinyl cutter to be on-site to sell appropriate stuff to anyone who shows up with goofy, loopy stock car numbers in red-on-blue, with silver drop shadows...
[/b]

I'd also like to see the big enduros try to use the same font/size/color (tho I expect they'll be black on white). That way, if you run the SP12, the Nelson 12/24 and the VIR 13h you don't need 3 sets of numbers. The same numbers would work.

Would it be work it to add a refinement to the GCR under the numbering sections in order to cover night races? Then all of the SCCA night races will be the same.

Just a thought.

joe

RSTPerformance
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
Would it be work it to add a refinement to the GCR under the numbering sections in order to cover night races? Then all of the SCCA night races will be the same.

Just a thought.

joe
[/b]

Interesting thought, I support the idea, although their would be an issue with "sponsor" decals. Many times those "big" races have "special" number plates with the sponsor or event name on them (for some reason I only recal the enduro's having them, not sure why other races don't also).

Maybe a suggested/recomended guidline be specified in the GCR for event organizers to maintain consistancy.

Raymond

Dave Zaslow
11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
[attachmentid=687]

Free entry to those who ran the last Longest Day?

I was the entrant, so if anyone wants some bad advice, just ask.

BTW we used four drivers in nominal 2 hour stints (one tank of fuel in the Rabbit). Nominal because if a yellow came out during a drivers stint, (the driver would stay in the car during fueling) then they would get fuel and sent out again. IIRC the supps had a 2 minute minimum stop except in the last two hours. We could certainly change 2 tires and do fuel in 2 minutes.

Dave Z

When your engine blows its rear main seal and the engine builder is driving the pace car what do you do?

Tom A
12-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Longest Day?

I Don't Think So. (http://www.shedracing.com/2006_25hours) :D

Tom

Knestis
12-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry - that's the Longest 1.0416 days.

K

mgyip
12-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Don't think i didn't consider this possibility, having been in exactly that situation when I clobbered Pablo I a month before the VIR 13 last year.[/b]

As Jeff noted, WDCR tied their entry to a driver AND a car. For clarification, that meant that John Doe had to drive on John Doe's team - period, regardless of car. This was specifically designed to keep people from squatting on entry slots by signing up their non- licensed, non-racing members like their wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, children and pets as entrants which had happened in previous years. As a result, all entrants had to hold a valid competition license. Then if both John Doe and Jane Doe won slots in the event, they had to field and drive in TWO SEPARATE CARS - one for John and one for Jane.

I find the registration rules to be extreme and silly BUT given our experiences with 12-Hours at the Point, these types of rules are unfortunately very necessary.

Matthew

Bob Roth
12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
We Arrested Adolescents plan on making it. ITA-07, 88 CRX-Si.

Green Flag Inc
01-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Any news on entry process for this event? Thanks, Chris

Hahn63
01-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I am working on the entry and supps now. I should have most of the info avalible in the next couple of weeks. They are almost done! Stay tune...this is going to be a great race!!!!!!! :eclipsee_steering:

Roland

Hahn63
03-27-2007, 10:22 AM
[attachmentid=869]

Here is the latest information!

Roland

Hahn63
03-30-2007, 11:48 AM
At Last the sups, entry form and medical forms are now avalible . :happy204:

Get'em before their gone....? :wacko:

Roland

mkahley
06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Is the race full yet. Can we get an updated list of who is in?

Hahn63
06-11-2007, 10:36 AM
A few spots are still left open. An updated list will be published shortly.

Scott Nutter
06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Shortly?

Definitely leaning towards geological times as opposed to; say the lifespan of a fly :D

Hahn63
06-22-2007, 12:12 PM
[attachmentid=1006]

Well lets see I think I'm on Ice age time. :rolleyes:

Knestis
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Excellent!

5 ITB cars = good race!

K

Scott Nutter
06-23-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks Roland, you know I was just yanking your chain. Being out of town for work leaves nothing beter to do in the evenings than surf the net.

Are you going to be at the track next weekend for the MARRS event?

Hahn63
06-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Scott,

I would like to be , just trying to decide if I want to put the car at risk getting this close to the 24. Most likely I'll throw caution to the wind!

No problem... itt's good thing to have someone help with the time keeping! :blink:

Norm Chute
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
I know it's late in the game but any team need a driver?

Hahn63
07-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I know it's late in the game but any team need a driver?
[/b]

Norm , check your PM's!

Roland

trd771
07-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Do you think I would have any luck showing up for the event with a helmet and checkbook for any team needing a last minute driver

JohnRW
07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Do you think I would have any luck showing up for the event with a helmet and checkbook for any team needing a last minute driver
[/b]

Well...certainly better luck than if you showed up in a thong and stilleto heels...but who am I to judge ?

dj10
07-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Well...certainly better luck than if you showed up in a thong and stilleto heels...but who am I to judge ? [/b]

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!! :happy204:

trd771
07-26-2007, 08:07 PM
does it need to be a nomex thong?

What I was asking was if teams would all be established, or do you think there will be teams looking for last minute drivers. I remember back to other longest days we were in, and you would see drivers walking around with helmets and looking to get on teams. In many cases they did.

justBJ
07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Have car numbers been posted yet?

tireshoppe
07-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Tires! Tires! Who needs tires!!
I'm going to bring tires and equipment. Mostly for Miata but I can take orders ahead of time (Toyo, Hankook, BFG). I will have the tire shaver with me. We will be there sometime Wed for Test & Tune.
Joe
TheTireShoppe

mkahley
07-31-2007, 10:23 PM
is there a finalized list yet

Hahn63
08-01-2007, 12:48 PM
List with numbers and pit spaces will be published very shortly.

Roland

For those that haven't called about fuel yet, send me an email at [email protected] and let me know qty. and prefered octane. We are trying to bring in a fuel truck so road trips won't be needed.

slackerjay
08-02-2007, 09:26 AM
To all entrants,

Kumho Tires will be on-site and ready for service Thursday for the test and tune, please contact Vilven tire for any pre-orders if you need the tires brought to the track. It looks like this is going to be a great race!!

~Jason Myers
Kumho America Technical Center

Knestis
08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Quick question - do the numbers required on the rear of the car need to meet the GCR minimum size requirements?

Thanks!

Kirk

JohnRW
08-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Quick question - do the numbers required on the rear of the car need to meet the GCR minimum size requirements?
[/b]

If they do, we're going to need a BIGGER car.

Hahn63
08-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks!

Kirk
[/b]

On your car Kirk ...yes. Everyone elses ...no

John , just put a trailer on the back to display the number....I want to slow you down some! ;)

Offical answer...No , as big as possible would be fine.

acotyk
08-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Roland,

Didn't catch you at the M-O IRL race if you were there, how's it going out there?

Car is coming along great, we tested at Gingerman last week, then Lance won two in his 240Z at the Brat Bash.

Wondered id Spirit of DC was netered, and what type cars are the ITS field?

Attaached is our team bio for this race.

CAtch you soon,

Andy

Roland,

Didn't catch you at the M-O IRL race if you were there, how's it going out there?

Car is coming along great, we tested at Gingerman last week, then Lance won two in his 240Z at the Brat Bash.

Wondered if Spirit of DC was entered, and what type cars are in the ITS field?

Attached is our team bio for this race.

Catch you soon,

Andy

tireshoppe
08-13-2007, 03:29 PM
:026: Tires, Tires, who needs tire?
I have limited sizes and availibility of Hankook Ventus Z211 road race compound on CLEARANCE!!
14 - 275/40R17
8 - 225/45R17
14 - 225/40R18
8 - 285/30R18

I also have 8 - Ventus Z214 C30 (hard) compound in 205/50R15, priced to sell.
I can bring them to the track next week.
866-208-6551
Joe

Hahn63
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Entry List and Pits spots.
Car # Class Team Name Hometown Make Color Reg. Pit
Drivers
Sponsors

2 SM 4 Old Racers Johnstown, PA. Mazda Miata Blu/Yel/Red SCR 44
Bill Coward, Harold Johnston, Rick Shields, Gary Blanarik, Rick Johnstone

3 ITE Team CRS Braintree, MA. Mazda Miata Red NER 23
Christopher Tier, Matt Miskoe, David Foote, Bruce Ledoux

6 ITB H.I.P.P.I. Racing 1 Englewood, OH. Toyota FX-16 Purple/Yellow OVR 7
Jason Albright, Matt Brannon, Joe Heretta, Chase Navarre,

7 ITS Miller Racing Canal Fulton, OH. Mazda RX-7 Red MVR 29
Matt Miller, Gary Martz, Brett Mars, Norm Fox
Kryder Racing, Walton Auto Parts and Glass, Allegheny Ford Trucks, Schauer Insurance

9 ITB Checkered Motorsports Lake In The Hills, IL VW Golf Silver CHI 34
Csaba Bujdoso, Brad Barnhouse, William Trainer,

12 SM Margarita Motorsports Dover Oh. Mazda Miata Blue 28
Dan Harding, Ken Mast, Allan Milarcik, Brent Walton, Keith Wise

13 ITB Hill Billy Motorsports Hubbard, OH. BMW 318i Blk/Red MVR 5
Jeremy Cesene, Tom Nutter, Scott Nutter, Michael Petrusko, Dan Cesene

15 SRF H.I.P.P.I. Racing 2 Englewood, OH. SCCA Purp/Yel/Grn OVR 7
JD Pfetzing, Ray Rivard

16 ITA Spirit of Nelson Columbus, OH. Mazda RX-7 Yel/Blk/Org OVR 45
Brian Roesser, Roland Hahn, Bruce Wolf, Norman Chute, Mike Saddleton, EB Lunken

17 SPU Raw Knuckles Racing Strongsville, OH. Stuart Taylor Phoenix Blue/Green NEO 19
Bob MacDonald, Ken Simonson, Mark Taylor, John Hinkle

21 SM Race Car Supply.com Lexington, KY. Mazda Miata White CKR 3
Randy Walker, Greg Walker, Wes Allen, Doug Sontag, Jon Ricker
RaceCarSupply.com and CKRSCCA.ORG Central Kentucky Region SCCA

23 ITB Rubber Chicken Racing Cleveland, Oh. VW Rabbit Yellow/Black NEO 20
Don Harrington, Tim Biglin, Wayne Biglin

27 SM Puskar Motorsports Chesterland, OH. NEO 33
Chris Puskar, Dan Puskar, Maril Bennet, Eric Stearns

28 ITB Team York York, PA. VW Golf White 8
James Troxell, Jay Troxell, Bob Rothstein, John de Planquie

30 ITS Phar Lap Herndor, VA. BMW 325i White/Red 42
Jell Pharr, Shane Kleinpeter, Jack Money, Tim Smith, Arjun Soundarajan
Elephant Motorsports (elephantmotorsports.com)

34 SM S & D Motorsports LLC Spring City, PA. Mazda Miata Blue PHIL 38
Herb Sweeney, Shawn Dewey, Peter Tonelli, Steve Gorrianran

36 ITS Team OMGWTFBBQ Arlington, VA, BMW 325is Black WDC 41
Tom Philip, Joseph McGroarty, John Hall
Negative Camber/Go Banana

38 ITE Craftsmam-Piper Motorsports 2 Falls Church, VA. BMW 330i Silver 21
Alan Himes, Mitch Piper, Jim Briody, Brett Spande, John Schmidt

39 SM 3 Generation Racing Westcliffe, CO. Mazda Miata Yellow/Red CDV 32
Tom Abbott, Terry Abbott, Mark Miller

41 ITA Team Subway Coopersburg, PA Mazda Miata Yellow/Green 43
Joseph Plunkett, Peter Smith, Donald Dumon, Mark Crum

42 ITB Conover Motor Sports Team Gti Greensboro, NC. VW Rabbit Blue NCR 4
Kirk Knestis, Bowie Gray, Fred Snow, Matt Graham
Koni, Hoosier Tires, Hella High Performance Lighting, Competition Cages

50 ITS 50 Plus Racing Rockville, MD. Porsche 911E White WDC 26
Chuck Allard, Matti Vilkkila, Paul Moorcoves, Jay Poscente, Ian Fosler

51 ITS 5:10 Motorsports Datsun 510 White/Org 36
Andy Cotyk, Lance Loughman, Steve Kramer, Andrey Zavodsky
Hoosier Tire & Dick Wisler

56 ITE Craftsmam-Piper Motorsports 1 Falls Church, VA BMW 330i Gray 21
Jeff Lucas, Jon Hummer, Scott Linton, Andrew Ball

69 SM Berg Racng 1 Webster, NY. Mazda Miata Red 23
John Weisberg, Richard Picut, John Linster

74 SM Apex Automotive Racing Upton, MA. Mazda Miata Yellow NER 37
Marc Martin, Bill Whitney, Chris Whitney, Mark Wheatley
Apex Automotive Engineering

82 ITE RC Imports Rockville, MD. Mercedes 190E16V Black WDC 27
Cindi Ellinger, Rick Ellinger, Chuck Hemmingson, Greg Shaffer, Gus Mohammadi,
RC Imports

83 SM Rhinoceros Racing Thomaston, CT. Mazda Miata White NNJ 9
Thomas Minuto, Roger Dowd, Bill Miskoe, Ken Buchel, John Leary, Joe Boruch

86 ITE Boxing Cat Racing Boco Raton, FL Porsche 911 Blue FR 35
Peter Collins, Mitch Pagerey, Kevin Molloy

88 SM 3 Js - Wild Child Racing Honeoye Falls, NY. Mazda Miata White FLR 40
John Walsh, John Williamson, Greg Snell, Don Jaffe
Kumho Tires; Fr. Dominic; Thiel's Import Service – Canandaigua, NY.

96 SM Berg Racing 2 Webster, NY. Mazda Miata White 23
Dinah Deroller, Susan Kohn, Richard Watson, Brad Adams

98 SM Team One MoHud Corry, PA. Mazda Miata Purple/White/Blk MoHud 43
Charlie Campbell, Geoff Stim, Robert Karl, David Lendrum, Eric Lendrum

99 ITA Colletti Motorsports Moraine, OH. Acura Integra Red WOR 31
Steve Colletti, Bill Niemeyer, Bob Roth, Dave Volante

04 ITA Heman Racing Newton, NJ. Mazda Miata Blue NNJ 39
William Bifulco, Patrick Fanning,Michael Lo, Anthony Vrankovic

09 ITE Parma, OH. Mazda MX-5 NEO 30
Rob Piekarczyk, David Pantaric, Mike Olivier, Lance Knupp
Ohio Technical College

Enjoy,

Roland

mkahley
08-14-2007, 02:01 PM
the link didnt come up

Hahn63
08-14-2007, 02:02 PM
You should see it in the post now.

Knestis
08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
We're totally excited about having great competitors in ITB! Let's make a race of it.

I'm willing to buy into the Winner-Takes-All Crew Beer Prize Fund for $20. Anyone with me? Hermanos Troxell? Y'all got nowhere to go but down, based on your recent performances and it's us, what's got something to prove.

Hillbillies? Czechs? Hippies? Chickens? What say you? Maybe we can get Roland to hold the kitty for us.

:)

K

Hahn63
08-15-2007, 12:35 AM
I can do that! It will cost ya a beer. :birra:

Willisbe
08-15-2007, 07:26 AM
I spoke w/ our Crew Chief and he was appalled that I would even think I would have to ask him that question. He even wants to challenge the other crew chiefs to a single "drink" chugging contest with $20 each on the line.

Do we want to each throw 20 bucks into the hat or do we bring a cooler w/ the $20 worth of beer to have handed over to us? :birra:

Jeremy Cesene
Hillbilly Motorsports

Knestis
08-15-2007, 08:36 AM
I have concerns (well-founded, based on past experience) that any beer brought to the track might be in peril of not making it to the end of the event.

On the other hand, we'd have the extra fun of each team bringing it's local flavor to the challenge.

On the other other hand, a team that didn't have a lot of confidence in their chances might bring Bud Light.

At least it sounds like Roland is in as the Chief Brew-ard for this competition. We need a sanction number, BTW.

The danged schedule is such that we can't do much celebrating on Sunday, since so many people need to cut and run to get back to the real world. Cameron is staying that evening (he admits he doesn't want to be responsible for controlling the tow rig after staying up all of the previous night) so he might take that Crew Chief challenge. He WOULD be competitive I'm pretty sure but we DO need to successfully get him and the rig to the hotel that night...

K

KelleyHux
08-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Wow ... "The Longest Day" was my all-time favorite race as a kid growing up. It just doesn't seem right to have it in August not June. Hopefully next year it can go back to the more traditional date.

As I look through the entry list, I see some familiar names - some guys who are veterans of this great race. Someone asked about advice - I remember one team crashing the car between 3AM and 4AM for two or three years in a row. Finally they just parked it between 3AM and 4AM the following year and had their best finish ever!

Good luck to all the competitors, and remember to be kind to your workers. A 24-hour race is not an easy event to do successfully from any front.

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
(Mahoning Valley Region member 1974-1990)
"PLAY SAFE"

dj10
08-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Entry List and Pits spots.
Car # Class Team Name Hometown Make Color Reg. Pit
Drivers
Sponsors

Roland [/b]

Is this correct 35 cars are entered?

Knestis
08-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I think that's what I came up with when i counted the list.

K

dj10
08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I think that's what I came up with when i counted the list.

K [/b]

I've raced there with that many cars. I feel that is a good number for the 1.8 or 1.9 mile track, what erver the hell it is. 50 would be to many imo. Less banging I hope.

3jsracer3js
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
:eclipsee_steering: one thing we have done in the past is to tape a twenty in the rear window or pass. rear side window and the challange to all who got in was who ever scored the highest got to go up and down pit lane at impound and tear off the bills and tuck them in your pants like a stripper while parading up and down pit lane .receiving all the accolades [and boos] from your competors[ie. loosers] while you gloat[please remove helmet, danger of swelling]. so if your interested get your scotch tape ready ,stop by car 88 pits to see our $20. and sign in your in . we could really use the extra money unless you think you could beat us ,alot of people have thought so in the past .could be your year ??????..... see ya there

mkahley
08-17-2007, 11:36 PM
good luck

Willisbe
08-18-2007, 02:46 AM
Are any other ITB cars willing to ante up $20 worth of beer or is it just going to be the Conover boys and the Hillbillies?

Either way, we will be showing up w/ $20 (+1) of local beer... or as close as we can get to being local.

Jeremy Cesene
Hillbilly Motorsports

Knestis
08-19-2007, 10:08 AM
You're on. I don't know what beer is local to Charleston, WV but we'll figure it out.
K

Hahn63
08-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Is this correct 35 cars are entered?
[/b]

Yep, 35 is correct. At one point we had 40 but...stuff happens. Top quality teams are entered, should be a great show!

Heading off to the track. I encourge everyone to hunt me down , give me a beer and tell me what you think of the event.

Roland

ITA 16
( The loud nasty yellow thing)

Conover
08-20-2007, 11:05 AM
You're on. I don't know what beer is local to Charleston, WV but we'll figure it out.
K
[/b]
http://www.blackwater-brewing.com/contactus.htm

Apparently the internet is really slow in W.Va.

Greg Amy
08-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Apparently the internet is really slow in W.Va.[/b]
There's Internet access in WV now...?

JohnRW
08-20-2007, 11:32 AM
:eclipsee_steering: one thing we have done in the past is to tape a twenty in the rear window or pass. rear side window and the challange to all who got in was who ever scored the highest got to go up and down pit lane at impound and tear off the bills and tuck them in your pants like a stripper while parading up and down pit lane .receiving all the accolades [and boos] from your competors[ie. loosers] while you gloat[please remove helmet, danger of swelling]. so if your interested get your scotch tape ready ,stop by car 88 pits to see our $20. and sign in your in . we could really use the extra money unless you think you could beat us ,alot of people have thought so in the past .could be your year ??????..... see ya there
[/b]

Hmmm...somebody masquerading as 'us', issuing challenges based on past behavior (the old "Dash for Cash" challenge). Could be Mad Mike...or maybe Edwin/Raceshopper....or Meindl...

Folks...3jsracer3js is an impostor, as he didn't even get our team name correct. I'm going to guess it's one of those listed above....

thedemoguy
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Roland

9 ITB Checkered Motorsports Lake In The Hills, IL VW Golf Silver CHI 34
Csaba Bujdoso, Brad Barnhouse, William Trainer, [/b]

The car is green and add driver "Bill Super Fast Johnson" to the driver list... :eclipsee_steering:

Now the ITB guys are in real trouble

JohnRW
08-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Now the ITB guys are in real trouble
[/b]

...and Csaba is no slouch, too. "Car to watch"...

dj10
08-22-2007, 11:27 AM
36 ITS Team OMGWTFBBQ Arlington, VA, BMW 325is Black WDC 41
Tom Philip, Joseph McGroarty, John Hall
Negative Camber/Go Banana

I guess it's official. Add me to this bunch. :D My home track.

Knestis
08-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Mmmm.

Good beer.

:)

K

datadude
08-27-2007, 08:59 AM
You know the drill - results posted under Neohio on Mylaps.

Thanks everyone for a great time.

drgoodwrench
08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
SO?????????? How did it go?

mgyip
08-27-2007, 10:21 AM
SO?????????? How did it go?[/b]

It was much like the 24 Hours of LeMons - cars crashing with alarming regularity - some aided and others solo. Let's just say if you sold Miata bumper covers and provided dent removal services at the Longest Day, you'd be busy for a month of Sundays.

Greg Amy
08-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Knestis' team report, short answer ('cause I'm actually busy today!):

- Qualified second; we had some significant wiring harness probs Friday night during the qualifying session which kept us mostly off track, but Bowie got in a few hot laps to get us up into 24th overall (of roughly 34 cars).
- We started strong out of the gate. Bowie led off, passed the York car, and we never relinquished the lead.
- Had a minor "off" late in the afternoon, only cost us a few laps.
- We stayed out in the rain on slicks for the first hour, but eventually caved and installed rains. Then it quit raining. A few more laps lost.
- Early in the wee hours we started having shifting probs, but it was workable.
- At one point, roughly 8-ish AM Sunday, we were 63 laps ahead in ITB, and we even ran as high as 4th overall earlier in the event.
- Then, we did a Sunday AM (daytime) driver swap and he *immediately* called with with a lurid slide in T One with smell of trans oil. Brought the car in and trans oil was everywhere in the engine compartment. No obvious failures, but instead of squandering the lead we'd built up the Conover crew swapped out the trans. From crossing the line entering the pits to crossing the line exiting the pits was one hour, 7 minutes. We re-entered the track 25 laps up to the second-place ITB car.
- Race uneventful from there, thank Goodness. We won the race by 25 laps.

I'll let Knestis do the recognition honors, but EVERYBODY did a super job. I was ***BEAT*** last night. Got home roughly 9. Still tired.

Greg, team co-DTR...

P.S. best move of the weekend: buying the $8 "Drink and Drown" from the coffee/espresso trailer. All the coffee you can drink for EIGHT BUCKS for the whole event. I asked 'em if they had an annual membership...

Knestis
08-27-2007, 11:35 AM
>> - We stayed out in the rain on slicks for the first hour, but eventually caved and installed rains. Then it quit raining. A few more laps lost.

Translation - Kirk (the guy who LIKES to drive in the rain) was too skeered to continue on slicks and made exactly the wrong call at the wrong time, from the cockpit. It really looked like the clouds were settling in but that was probably just wishful thinking, in hindsight.

K

CaptJon
08-27-2007, 01:04 PM
The race for ITB was pretty much for 2nd from the drop of the green flag. When we (Rubber Chicken Racing) were lapped after the first 20 minutes by the Conover Golf, I knew the only way we could win it was for them to break. The Conover team definitly showed that they were well organized and ready to run the entire 24 hours. Congratulations on a race well run. They definitly deserved this win.

Unfortunatly the Rubber Chicken crew had to do a little work on the our Rabbit to get it back on the track. :(

Knestis
08-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Your misfortune will translate into fame. There's GOT to be some video out there to put on YouTube of either...

A. The car circulating without any windows, or...

B. The frame-pulling exercise with the large truck and farm implement...

K

EDIT - spare a kind thought for Roland Hahn, by the way. He worked his butt off to make this event happen and organize the enduro series, then got poked into a tirewall and knocked his bean - reportedly hard enough to crack his helmet. They took him out on a stretcher but I was told that he was in OK shape. He's got to be a hurtin' unit today.

ROLAND - THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HARD WORK!

K

philstireservice
08-27-2007, 01:41 PM
Super job guys !!!! Cameron is the man.......!!! Excellent !!! The entire team deserves a huge congrats ....great effort. :birra: :birra: :birra: :birra: :happy204: :happy204: :happy204: :happy204:

thedemoguy
08-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Congratulations to the Conover team for a race well run! You guys really have your stuff together... Good job.

That race was something else to say the least,....#9 VW Golf ITB Checkered Motorsports

I was one of the drivers in the #9 VW golf we finished 3rd in ITB, not bad for 4 drivers that have never driven the car before or ran an endurance race before, and if the 24 of Nelson is an example of running endurance race's I'm not sure if I'll ever run one again...LOL....That was a bitch, I'm still sore.

We had the Porsche team on the left and the Puskar Miata team on the right, guys that really had there stuff together, with the fueling stations and fast this and quick that, all that good stuff, those guys made us look like the Rookies that we where....we could come in for fuel and a driver change and they would come in after us and change tires, fuel the car, change drivers, and be out before we had gas in the car.

Lucky for me I was with a team of the best drivers the SCCA has to offer, Csaba Bujdoso, Brad Barnhouse, Bill Trainer, these guys did a Great job, and it was an honor being on the team.

I couldn't say enough about our crew of 3 ether, the first endurance race for them as well, my son Jeremiah, and my friends Paul and OJ, equipped with 5 gallon gas cans and an assortment of new and used parts they kept us on the track for the hole 24hrs, these guys also did a Great job, Thank you very much...

If it wasn't for a A-frame that broke flush with the frame, drill, tape, replace...45 minutes or the head light switch...20 minutes, and the 1/2 inch pipe on the gas can...about 4 minutes to fill the car...lol
We would have surely been in first place in ITB.....But you live and learn....and boy was that a learning experience...lol

All in all I think we did a GREAT JOB !!! Thanks guy for letting me be a part of that race... :eclipsee_steering:

Bill Johnson

rmicroys
08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Kirk, great job. Great work on the transmission in that short of a time - you'll rival Audi soon enough! (Been there done that at a race weekend too when Matt and I toasted a 5th gear once at Mosport) I'm sure that Matt will fill me in on the whole deal when he gets back. Hope the pit board worked well for ya.

Again, kudos.

Willisbe
08-27-2007, 05:49 PM
Other than getting spanked by Conover, York, and Checkered....
Yes, we did pay up by delivering the beer

When I went to sleep we were doing ok considering we had to pit about every hour due to only being able to use 7 gallons of fuel out of the tank before the car sputtered coming out of the carousel.

I woke up to see the car in our paddock;
1. w/ a smashed door and fender
2. driver strut that was popped out of the camber plate due to the top nut coming loose
3. front bumper lost in the grass outside turn 12
4. toe setting off

I definitely learned a bunch from the Hippi and Conover guys that were next to us.

Next year we will be back for some more.....

Jeremy Cesene
Hillbilly Motorsports
#13 ITB

Knestis
08-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh, yeah - that's was some goody beer there, son. For the entire 10 minutes it lasted. :)

K

MMiskoe
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
I am glad the event got hosted and went off as well as it did, hope the track didn't take too big a beating by putting it on. I'd like to go back and do it again. There are only a handful of races of this length in north America that I know of.

Great work by the T&S guys to have the laps all posted on Mylaps before I even got home. Is anyone from the Summit Point 12 hour reading this?????

I was in the #3 ITE miata, if I drove like an ass, let me know. Most out there were being pretty nice, but there were a few moves I saw that left me either cursing or shaking my head. I think this sums up my thoughts on some of the driving.

It was much like the 24 Hours of LeMons - cars crashing with alarming regularity - some aided and others solo. Let's just say if you sold Miata bumper covers and provided dent removal services at the Longest Day, you'd be busy for a month of Sundays. [/b]

Matt

Knestis
08-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Ditto on T&S functions - very good. Other debrief points, while my memory is fresh...

** Registration could have used some organizational help - if a full compliment of entries had shown up, they would have been in (even deeper) doo-doo.

** Tech - why is the annual inspection process fine for every other race in a season but NOT OK for this one? Am I missing something? The lines weren't long (not a ton of entries) but the processes involved were just slooooow.

** Pits - I really liked having a swath of grass behind the hot pits where people could hang out without being in the way. That's just an accident of how things are set up i know but it was great to have the non-hot-pit folks right there, and a place to cook, etc. for the people at the wall.

** Schedule - Please, please, PLEASE reconsider the 3:00 start. Just HAVING the Longest Day is enough recognition of the event's history, without having to resort to using the traditional start time. If there's anything that puts future trips to Ohio in jeopardy, it's the fact that we have to ask crew members to take yet another day off if they live more than just few hours from the track.

** Track - I think it was Walsh who called it der Nelsonring. Very appropriate! Fast, rough, unforgiving, kind of pretty in a KOA kind of way (rather than in a golf resort kind of way). The Golf was at less of a disadvantage than other places. It sticks and has gobs of torque, so aero drag was less of a factor. I have to admit that I was intimidated at first but I came in sick and pretty well off my game. By the time we were done though, I was really digging it. I had the BIGGEST spin of my life and got away with it when I lifted rather than hit a guy I caught faster than I expected, right at the kink. Freakin' WHEE, I can tell you - leaving the road driver's left and sliding backward all the way to the corner station before the straight. That was pretty stooopid and I'm NOT counting on that lucky star for next time.

** I didn't think the driving sucked very hard, as a group. I had a couple of problems to deal with. I still don't understand how someone can miss yellow lights at night and pass another car, or not read a sign that says "PITS CLOSED." And there was one dude out there driving around, and around, and around with his blinker going. I didn't have to deal with nearly the number of selfish moves than I have at other races in hte last 2 years.

K

datadude
08-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks from the T&S crew. Anyone wanting pdf time cards just email [email protected] and she will get them to you. They did an awesome job for a staff of 8, 2 person shifts and 1 person up for all 24. with all the feeds they were doing, wireless and icard. No one knows but this track always has a live feed of t&s to the start tower, stewards room, 2 announcer sites and race control and usually down stairs in the base of the tower.
I understand that the indiviual specialties are already planning on what to improve and all that was mentioned was mentioned already.

mgyip
08-28-2007, 10:38 AM
** Tech - why is the annual inspection process fine for every other race in a season but NOT OK for this one? Am I missing something? The lines weren't long (not a ton of entries) but the processes involved were just slooooow.[/b]

It wasn't just the Annual Tech requirement but the attitude of "How do we know that your car is still the same one that was annual tech inspected?" and "We don't know you so you need to bring us EVERYTHING".

** Schedule - Please, please, PLEASE reconsider the 3:00 start. Just HAVING the Longest Day is enough recognition of the event's history, without having to resort to using the traditional start time. If there's anything that puts future trips to Ohio in jeopardy, it's the fact that we have to ask crew members to take yet another day off if they live more than just few hours from the track.
[/b]

Agreed - one of our fellow crew members who NEVER complains made comments starting at 11 am on Sunday that "If the race ended at noon, we'd only have an hour left". Those of us who drove home on Sunday evening agreed with her!!

I have a few nits to pick since this is the second year I've attended an event at Nelson and this is the second year that gigantic holes in their supps caused me to grow more grey hairs and develop an ulcer or two.

First off - the rule about a fireman on-station AT ALL TIMES DURING ANY PIT STOP is a bit excessive. The lack of language about how said fireman should be dressed during a non-fueling stop led to confusion more than once during the race.

Secondly - the language about Black Flag All and working on the car is very unclear and the Chief Steward and the Pit Chief don't agree on what it says. The wording is such that "All work in the Pit and Paddock must cease during a Black Flag All and may not commence until the race restarts". For those of us who drive, a restart tends to be signaled by a GREEN FLAG. This is how the Pit Marshalls interpreted the rule but they were shot down by the Chief Steward who allowed cars to 1) pull directly from Black Flag All grid into their pit stalls without completing another lap and 2) allowed work to commence once the cars went out under Double Yellow (read: PACE LAP). This allowed several teams to service the car without losing a lap under either Double Yellow or Green. Furthermore, while some cars were corralled in Tech for repairs, others were allowed to return to their paddock spots for repairs - given the language of the Black Flag All rule, unless there were a Paddock Marshall at paddock spot, that rule is simply unenforceable.

Lastly - Selective Pit Rules enforcement - I personally observed a car that almost ran down their crew member during a pit stop and then BACKED UP UNDER POWER. I heard it over my headset!!! There were two Pit Tech workers in the immediate vicinity who did nothing about it!!! Yet we were warned about fuel spills when our cell "swelled and dropped a dime-sized droplet of fuel" which was much unlike another team whose fueler was bathing in fuel as it ran out of their dump can, down the fueler's shoulder and arm and finally sprayed the fireman as it was whipped out of the filler neck. We were the "out of towners" so we were certainly watched with greater scrutiny - at least by the locals.

I'll be back but I don't know if I'll do anything other than crew and keep my eyes shut to the "Local Hero" phenomenon. I've worked as a Pit Marshall in the past and pride myself on being impartial - you f**k up and you get a penalty, period. There is some flexibility but if it's a big f**k up like backing up under power or dousing crew members in fuel, there's no leeway - period.

Having driven on the track at other events, I applaud everyone who raced at the Longest Day - the track is punishing on cars and equipment. :OLA:

JohnRW
08-28-2007, 12:44 PM
** Track - I think it was Walsh who called it der Nelsonring. [/b]

Well, it's either that...or "Nelson Legistan".

Personally, I love the place. My big reservation prior to this race was that it would change my long-held opinion and I'd learn to hate it after a 24 hour, like I've learned to hate other places I've done 24's (I can be VERY impolite about Moroso, for example, and I've had almost a decade to "get over it").

The Nelsonring didn't dissapoint me. Whoohar...the place has a definite flow...and it's sooooo freaking fast...that I usually had at least one giggle a lap.

Well, we couldn't back up our SM win in the 12 Hour there last year, but we had a good time and the car finished with just a few minor paint scuffs from 'other traffic'. Some air & fuel filter issues slowed us down...A LOT...in the wee hours of the morning, until we did a shotgun fix and got it running strong again about 8am. We were loosing about 4-6 secs. a lap for 7 hours...hope we stayed out of everybody's way. Kinda disheartening getting out-dragged by ITB cars for a few hours.

I saw relatively little 'dumb-ass driving'. There were "moments", however. I attribute it to "noobs in traffic". You'd be following somebody for a few laps...they'd be doing decent times and we'd just be in "punch out laps" mode...but then we'd encounter traffic and the "formerly decent fast guy" would just wig out and turn into a rolling roadblock. At one point, exiting the Carousel, I was stuck in a pack of cars behind one of those "traffic impaired" drivers, and just as I was raising my right hand in exasperation, the guy in front/next to me did the same thing, and I think the guy behind me did it too...so it wasn't "just me". Message to the "traffic impaired" - you were lucky to escape relatively unscathed from some of those encounters, as you had a bunch of pissed off racers behind you. Please learn to handle traffic. It's an enduro...there is no point in holding up faster cars, and actual benefits from being polite and making room for faster cars. One roadster, in particular, put me 'two in the grass' twice as I caught/passed him, and it was only due to my extraordinary patience and incredible driving skilz that he didn't have a silhouette of my car on the side of his car. Dope.

I was ~100yds. behind Kirk's VW as it exited the Carousel via the outside tire wall....been up on that wall myself, and in a VW too. Oops...glad it stayed right-side up. What many people don't know is that what would be a "hard off & race-ending damage" at most tracks is just a "buff out the scuffs & tape up the bumper cover" at Nelson Ledges.

Thanks to Roland and Steph (Neohio) and Scott and Kerrie (NLRC) and everyone else who put this weekend together. I still love the place.

slackerjay
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks to all who attended the 24 hour at Nelsonring, and especially to the workers....without you this great event would not be possible. It sounds like the race was a success. Congrats to the winners, great job!!

~Jason Myers
Kumho America Technical Center

thedemoguy
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
I would also like to thank Roland, Steph, Scott and Kerrie Lane for putting this race together...Good job

Although I'm no endurance racer I had the time of my life.... that was a race I'll never forget,... in-spite of the registration people giving half of our crew the wrong wrist bands, then coming over at about 8:00 pm and telling us that they could not be in the hot pit...lol What's up with that...? :023:
I told him the story and that the crew was on the list and were signed in as such which he confirmed with his list...Then he considered letting me pay for the temporary membership that registration seemed to overlook...No problem right..................NOT... it seemed that there were no more temporary memberships available and we would have to pay for a Full SCCA membership for 4 crew members that would only be at the track for 1 day... 4 x $75 =$300....aaa NOT What a shake down

So we had to buy the $75 membership for the one mechanic that we had and work with him, my 16 year old son and a friend of mine that has never been to a race in his life....lol

And we still came in 3rd so there......... :happy204:

The sad part about the membership shake down is that same friend was thinking about buying my ITC Rabbit and taking a Driving school this fall, now he's very skeptical about the SCCA and there integrate, knowing how much it cost the team to run the race and having something like that happen just blow his mind, hell I couldn't believe it my self...

But, what goes around comes around, no wounder the SCCA has such a hard time maintaining a Strong membership and so many are moving to other organizations...

Just some of the bitter and sweet of the most amazing race I've been in so far.

Bill

callard
08-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Okay, it looks like John W. agrees with me. The track was rougher than ever. The rear subframe in my red Benz cracked early on and thanks to Bill Johnson's loan of a welder. we were able to get back on the track. Bill and his crew didn't know me from Adam but went out of their way to help another competitor. Later, the subframe broke in half and Scott Lane himself opened his shop so that we could use his MIG welder at 1:00 AM Sunday morning.
Folks, I've been doing endurance races for 18 years now and it's the spirit of the workers, competitors and crews that makes it fun. Kerrie and Scott deserve more than you imagine for stepping up to bring back the Longest Day! Can't wait for the next one...
Chuck Allard
50 Plus Racing

CaptJon
08-29-2007, 10:37 PM
I am really glad to hear that most of the comments about The Longest day have been very positive. When Scott started talking about bringing back this race he was very hesitant about it. He worried that there wouldn't be enough cars entered to make it worthwhile. From my perspective (and not talking to Scott about it) I believe that it was a success. However, like all new events it did have its share of problems. The Chief Steward is already thinking about moving the start time earlier. As for the problem in tech, I asked about that myself. It has something to do with the annual tech not covering ALL the drivers of a car. If you have a suggesntion on how to improve things, please, please, please speak up & let the region know. Not sure what happened with registration but I will ask around.

One comment that has been bothering me since I read it this morning is about a team spilling fuel all over. If one of the pit marshals donesn't see it or doesn't do anything about it, tell a Safety Steward about it. That kind of action is totally unacceptable and is definitly a safety issue. I can't beleive with all the regions that were represented in the large turnout of workers from all over (who I want to thank) that it was a "local" thing.

Knestis
08-29-2007, 11:12 PM
>> It has something to do with the annual tech not covering ALL the drivers of a car.

Solution to the tech issue is to treat the drivers and car separately. Present the car's logbook with annual inspection and event page filled out for the car's sticker. Then each driver has his/her gear checked (helmet sticker present?) for his/her driver-spec wristband. There SHOULD be a distinction between crew and drivers' ID, checked as deemed necessary, it seems like.

K

thedemoguy
08-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Registration should only have driver and crew wristbands, thats all the people that should be in registration.
spectators should get there wristband at the gate, that way registration can not "mistakingly" give spectator bands to your crew...
It doesn't sound like much, but it was a big problem for our team, they made a mistake and made it our problem, then to add insult to injury, instead of making things right, they tried to charged us full membership price for our crew... How many of you had to pay $75 each for your crew members ?
This was my first endurance race, so is this standard procedure or was there something underhanded going on ? reminds me of some other underhanded people at a different racing series.

datadude
08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Registration only handles the volunteer workers, drivers and crews. If your team had "spectators" coming in on your waiver that is up to you and could be what got you turned around in registration. Best laid plan for anything is be prepared before yoou get to an event.

racechair
08-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Bill,
Sorry for what happened at registration. Some of the issues mentioned can be fixed for next year. There was one issue that could not be helped. SCCA has restructured the temporary membership program. Effective Sept 1, temporary memberships will be good for the weekend only and cost $15.00. The old ones that were good for 90 days are no longer available, so once they were gone, they were gone.

mkahley
08-30-2007, 11:08 AM
mgyip what car were you with.

JCTrox
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
I want to add my congratulations to the Conover team. Great job! You brought a well prepared car, worked hard to overcome difficulties and ran fast. You did exactly what it takes to win and enduro.

I want to thank all the people involved in putting on the race. Some are getting bashed here, but they are doing a job the best they know how to and I’m betting the people that are bashing them are not willing to do it. I’m sure mistakes were made and I bet they learned from most of them way before someone felt the need to point them out after the event. They best criticism I’ve seen on this site is the ones that provide suggestions to improve, not just complaints or accusations.

I could “what if” our performance all day, but I’ll save that for my team to help us improve. Like I said above, this is an enduro and Conover did what it took to win ITB, we didn’t.

I do want to thank everyone who helped us. We had a mechanical problem during the race and all of our ITB competitors, except one (you know who you are), offered us spare parts. That is one of the things I love about enduros, we all compete against each other, but we also help each other.

Finally, our team. THANKS! There is no way we could have done it without you. As a driver, it is usually our mistake that creates work for you. This time was no different. You guys and girls did everything to keep us on the track even when we couldn’t.

Hahn63
08-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Wow, what a race. I never expected the pace to be so fast and stay that way!!

Thank you to all that made it happen, from the workers to the drivers and crews.

Since this was my first attempt at race chair I knew I would make a few mistakes.

Mistakes , yep had a lot of them and yep made notes and it WILL get changed. I'll agree to a noon start.I'll make sure the supps cover the tech issues. Registration will get a large tent so that it won't get a bottle neck again.

Mistakes from officals on pit lane, it happens( we all had very little sleep; drivers and officals alike)I guess a "what if's" review before the race might be helpful to the officals to keep it straight.

The "Longest Day" will continue in '08. So send me your likes and dislikes and we'll put them into the pot , add some gas , mix and see what we get! :rolleyes:

Thank you to all again, hope it was enjoyable and look forward to seeing you next year. :birra:

Roland

datadude
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
You can download official results and records on the Neohio website

mgyip
08-31-2007, 05:27 PM
mgyip what car were you with.[/b]

The black Mercedes - RC Imports

Piper Motorsport
08-31-2007, 05:46 PM
We had a decent race. Mid way through our 56 car had an 11 lap lead over the field. One of the fuel barels we purchased from the track (sunoco) was contaminated with water and full of rust. Unfortunatly it clogged our fuel pumps and filters which took a while to diagnose. After falling 32 laps behind we managed to make up 26 laps to finish 3rd overall. Nothing we can do about the fuel incident, what a mess. Great race though!

Hahn63
08-31-2007, 06:19 PM
Did the drum come from sunoco that way or did you by a drum from someone and have it filled with fuel?

Roland
( brain now coming back online) :D

tdw6974
08-31-2007, 08:56 PM
[quote]

Since this was my first attempt at race chair I knew I would make a few mistakes.

Roland, It is a real learning experience. I co chair the The "last Chance" weekend at Watkins Glen. I think it would be nice if each driver could co chair an event :D . THEN MAYBE :lol: No further comment. T Weaver :eclipsee_steering: Thanks to all those that made it happen and all those that participated Make sure you bring back the coffee wagon with the "Drink till you Drown" special :OLA:

Piper Motorsport
09-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Did the drum come from sunoco that way or did you by a drum from someone and have it filled with fuel?

Roland
( brain now coming back online) :D
[/b]

It was a new, sealed drum.

Hahn63
09-01-2007, 04:19 PM
It was a new, sealed drum.
[/b]

That is aweful. Hope they make an attempt to make it right. I know they can't give you the race back but they should do something for you.

Roland, It is a real learning experience. I co chair the The "last Chance" weekend at Watkins Glen. I think it would be nice if each driver could co chair an event . THEN MAYBE [/b]

Yea, you got it ...some have no clue just like I didn't. :blink: :dead_horse:

Knestis
09-05-2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/mk3.2/nelson078.jpg

It's been a little slow getting done (go figure!) but we've updated the web site with our little story and pics at...

http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/events07.php

Thanks again everyone for your efforts with this event. We had a great time - and yes, I'd probably be saying that even if those Troxell boys had beat us up again...

K

Pic1
09-09-2007, 08:51 AM
My pics from the Longest Day are now up ...

Saturday ...
http://www.loewephoto.com/RoadRace/2007082...0825-index.html (http://www.loewephoto.com/RoadRace/20070825-Nelson24/20070825-index.html)

http://www.loewephoto.com/RoadRace/20070825-Nelson24/20070825-0094.jpg

Sunday ...
http://www.loewephoto.com/RoadRace/2007082...0826-index.html (http://www.loewephoto.com/RoadRace/20070826-Nelson24/20070826-index.html)

http://www.loewephoto.com/RoadRace/20070826-Nelson24/20070826-0853.jpg

thedemoguy
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Jeff
Great job with the pics............ :happy204:

John McFarland
10-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Jon, I love the modified body work you did on Don's car. The aero on it now is supurb!

So tell me, how many tractors does it take to make it look that cool!

That's the greatness of endurance racing. Major mishap and still get it back out and finish! Just shows how crazy you guys are!

RacerBill
10-16-2007, 06:28 AM
One good sized front-end loader!!!

CaptJon
11-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks John. I would have rather returned the car to the pits in the shape ( and I do mean shape not just condition) that I took it out in. The funny thing is that once they got all the things fixed on the car it ended up running about the same lap times that it was before I did the modifications. The crew that weekend was just awesome. And it wasn't just our crew but others that pitched in. I am told that there were some people from other teams that were pulling parts off the parts car.

Hahn63
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
To all,

I'm not race chair this year so I don't have any information to give out. Please contact Ann McHugh with your questions , I am sure she would be happy to answer any questions you have. Supps are up on : http://www.neohio-scca.org/ (http://www.neohio-scca.org/) and http://www.nelsonledges.com (http://www.nelsonledges.com/) . I do know we expect a larger field than last year and should prove to be the endurence event of the year not to be missed!

Thanks,

Roland

Ann McHugh Assistant Chief Registrar LD 08 8722 Pine Hallow Dr. Novelty OH 44072-9545 (440) 338-3159 Fax: (440) 338-3159 [email protected] ([email protected])

Hahn63
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Got information from Ann the other day. I do have the latest entry list but I can't post it ( too large of a PDF for this site). The letter I will post on the very next reply as Ann has lots to say! I will try and post both of these items on www.kumhoecs.com (http://www.kumhoecs.com) in the next couple of days. When you visit that site please sign up for the series. It's free and you do not have to run on Kumho's to play! The more cars we get to join the series this year will help in getting sponsors and more contigency for next year. Even if you only run one race you'll be helping out.

Thanks,

Roland :eclipsee_steering:

Hahn63
07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Here is Ann's letter:

UPDATE #1 “LONGEST DAY OF NELSON '08” JUNE 28,2008

First let me introduce myself -it's only fair since we are asking so many questions of you on the "LONGEST
DAY of Nelson '08" entry forms. I was an innocent(?) bystander and Nelson Ledges volunteer Press Officer
when John McGill, Fred Koslasky, Ron Urchek and Grover Griggs were riding around the Nelson paddock
before the start of the 24 hour motorcycle race back in 1979 (do you think alcohol was involved??hmmm)
Anyway, their collective "hair-brained scheme" grew into the real thing in 1980 -the very first running of an
SCCA sanctioned 24 road race for showroom stock cars. Because of a communication mix-up between John
and Fred 50+ entrants turned into 19 actual entries that first year(a couple of locals were practically "strongarmed"
into going home and getting their showroom stock cars and running a race they had absolutely no
intention of entering! but that is another looong story!) Needless to say confusion reigned that weekend, but a
fun time was had by most everyone. If you go around the paddock at most any SCCA race and ask you will
probably find more drivers who "were there in '80" than people who professed to have been at the Original
Woodstock!
Having barely survived that first year myself, I had to open my big mouth and offer to co-chair/chair the
event in 1981 and so it went for the next 15 years - chairing of the "LD", NOT the confusion. Last year I was
unable to help, but this year Scott Lane found my phone number under the heading "for a good time call Ann
McHugh and enter the Longest Day" - or at least that is what the guys have told me was written on all those
outhouse walls long ago and for some unknown reason, asked me to return as Race Chairman.
Due to the "marvelous economy" we are now "enjoying"(?) there are fewer entries for the upcoming
Longest Day of Nelson '08 than we would like. However, Scott and Kerrie Lane who have practically pulled
Nelson out of its "death throes" these past few years are determined that the race will go on as planned. Now
we need all of those who have sent in their Intents to Enter forms to get their entry forms and remaining fees
in to me so we can get started on a real program for this unique and historic race. It is strongly rumored (no I
can't say for sure) that this will be the last LD that runs on the Nelson course as it now stands. Will it be the
real, very last Longest Day -only time will tell. However, I mentioned the possibility back in 1996 that with
fewer entries the race might have to go into hiatus -many of you didn't listen back then...so as they say "a
word to the wise"...
I have tried to include an updated entry list along with this note -there may be some errors with car numbers
-somehow we managed to ask for so much information from entrants, but forgot to ask what car # you
wanted. Maybe that was on the line with giving us your mother's maiden name that we nixed, but I'm not
sure. So if you don't have the number you want and it is NOT taken by a previous entrant, then you'll get it -
don't go running around in a hissy fit -I'll fix it. In fact as a bossy Race Chairman I can fix alot of things to
make the "Longest Day" the fun event it was for the first 17 years. You guys just have to call or email me at

[email protected] and we'll see what we can do.
I used to use the Updates to spread rumors, gossip and some facts before the race -that way people got to
know one another before the race and it was more fun to “know your enemy”. In order to do that you'll have
to send me some “stuff” or call me. This year I hope to have our own program with pictures of prior years
-way back when we were all very young -for those smarties who weren't born in 1980 – just “Put a Sock In
It” if you know what is good for you!! Car and Driver magazine is coming to record the efforts of their very
own team headed up by multi-LD race driver/entrant Tony Swan. He is bringing along some unsuspecting
writers and a pair who have been to the “LD” before -Csaba Csere and Larry Webster and ought to know
better! Csaba hasn't been back to Nelson since we got flush toilets and hot showers – heck he won't recognize
the place. Tony has promised to write an article for the program – not sure what he'll be writing about, but it
should be interesting... Of course I have records of ALL the drivers who ran the first 17 yrs, what they drove
and how many laps the car they were in finished so we'll be able to make sure Tony stays honest about his
wins..
We have a couple of father-son teams coming this year -which really makes me feel old -no do not comment
on that as I was very young when I joined SCCA and got mixed up with Nelson Ledges or you'll be pitted at
the old course!! Check out the entry list and call with “stuff” for the program -pictures too.

UPDATE #1 “LONGEST DAY OF NELSON '08” JUNE 28, 2008 Page 2

Back again this year as a major sponsor is KUMHO TIRES. In addition Joe Specht from The
TireShoppe is planning on some type of contingecy award and support for the race and will be on hand with

Toyo and Hankook track support.
We are also planning on the steak dinner Friday night to welcome workers, driver, crews and even the
officials. Teams will get “free tickets” for their drivers. We're also planning on an “after night practice party”
for those too “cranked up” to get to sleep and/or the teams that will be pulling all-nighters to get the cars
fixed. We thought to call it the “WHINE & Cheese Party” to get the jump on what will most likely be a large
part of the get-together. When we started the race at 3 pm (Like LeMans), we had time for a lunch on
Saturday, but with the race starting earlier we have to adjust the party times -darn!
For those of you that were part of the return of the “LD” to Nelson last yar, I have been informed by the
producer,Kevin Stolicny (also the track announcer at Nelson) that the video of last year is now available for
sale. I haven't seen it but if you are interested his email is [email protected] and his phone # is
330-324-5122.
That is about it for this Update – waiting to hear from any and all participants. I am usually at work/in
transit from 7:00 to 5:00, but the 6 dogs just love to hear people call on the phone -just no profanity as one is
just a young puppy who is driving Ed and the rest of us a little crazier than usual. If there is anyone you want
the Update/Entry list sent directly to, just let me know and I'll get it off to them ASAP. OR have them check
the Nelson website. One more thing -we have dog obedience classes on Monday and Wednesday evenings so
I won't be available till after 8:30 those days but you can call UP TO 10:00 pm. I check for emails everyday.
For now

Ann
[email protected]

440-338-3159 home #
440-463-7209 cell # that gets lousy reception at home! Thanks AT&T