PDA

View Full Version : Video Camera's

Z3_GoCar
11-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Maybe this has been discussed before, and maybe it's time to touch on this subject again as consumer electronics goes in and out of style so fast. We have a Panasonic PV-250GS mini-DV camera that I used on my first couple of races on an I/O port mount. While using it on my second race I started having vibration problems, so I shortened up the mount but I've still had an issue with the narrow field of view. So while at Best Buy, I start looking for a wide angle lens, which they have, it doesn't fit the larger lenses on the Panasonic. I'd considered buying a second camera just for the car, one that was less expensive than the Panasonic, because of the shortened life in harsh vibrational environments.

So I went with a Sony HDD camera, thinking that with no moving parts it'd be way better than the mini-DV's. Well, I was wrong, the hard drive in these camerea's isn't solid-state like I'd though it would be, I found out last weekend when the camera would shut off within 50ft of leaving the pit spot.

So I took the Sony back and exchanged it for a Samsung SC-X210L sports camcorder. This little wonder is about the size of an old analog cassette tape, I've had walkmans that were larger than this camera. It comes with a bullet/lipstick cam that has a lens wide enough to cover the whole windshield. Only issue is the microphone tends to get swampped out by noise. This time I've tested the camera well in advance of needing it, so I don't repeat my failure of last weekend to getting any video. My next project will be finding a way to mount the video unit in the car. Anyone else using this camera? Have you found a way to keep the sound from dropping out? Any other camera that's working well for you?

James

lateapex911
11-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Go to the thread in the bargain hunters section and you'll find a ton of info, although at this point I don't think there is a real frontrunner of a set up.

On the mic, if the levels are too high for the unit, and there is no override or level adjust available on the unit. (unlike the good old analog days, LOL) you might have to take matters into your own hand. is there an aux input for a mic? if so, try that, and mount the mic in a less noisy spot, and you might even wrap some foam or cloth around it to attenuate it.

gsbaker
11-05-2006, 04:25 PM
James,

You should PM Vaughan Scott on this board. If you search the threads you'll find he has pieced together a solid state system that is very impressive, and rather wallet sensitive. Vaughan is an Engineer with Bosch ABS, IIRC, so much of this comes easily for him, but it is a very slick setup he has assembled.

He should package it and sell it. :)

tom_sprecher
11-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Where can I find the section in the ITCS that covers what camera's are allowed, where they can be located and how the are to be attached?

m glassburner
11-06-2006, 09:29 AM
It's on page 62...

tom_sprecher
11-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks. I need to get another (last one destroyed in wreck) and wants to make sure I took location and method of attachment into consideration when making my choice.