PDA

View Full Version : Degreasers

gran racing
11-04-2006, 12:14 PM
In the past I've used brake cleaner, but am wondering if there's something out there that you've found to work better. I've tried a few other products from the parts store, but they haven't worked as well.

Now that I finally got the engine out of the car, I want to get rid of all the greese! I also have plenty of other parts that I need to degrease.

Any recommendations?

JimLill
11-04-2006, 12:25 PM
start with loosening it up with a simple solvent like kerosene, diesel oil, or mineral spirits

seckerich
11-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Go to the dollar store and buy any brand of oven cleaner. Follow the oven cleaner with purple power or simple green and it will look like new. Also works wonders on all the rubber parts like rack boots and such. The oven cleaner actually makes the rubber parts look new.

JimLill
11-04-2006, 01:32 PM
Go to the dollar store and buy any brand of oven cleaner. Follow the oven cleaner with purple power or simple green and it will look like new. Also works wonders on all the rubber parts like rack boots and such. The oven cleaner actually makes the rubber parts look new.
[/b]

Be cautious that whatever you use, it does not contain caustic or alkalai, both of which will attack aluminum and zinc.

dickita15
11-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Arm and Hammer over cleaner used to be safe for paint, most others were not. do a test.

joeg
11-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Certainly do miss the good old days of some real evil (like Benzene) chemicals that did an amzing job. Of course that sixth finger I am now growing will require a custom driving glove!

gran racing
11-04-2006, 07:13 PM
I went to Ocean State Job lot looking for oven cleaner and Simple Green. Intead I ended up buying a car cover, misc. tools, other little items that I "needed", yet no oven cleaner nor Simple Green. :rolleyes: It's a good thing I took the small car and ran out of room in the trunk and passenger seat! But I did eventually get the degreaser weapons and gave it a try. Very nice! Thank you for the advice...

BobsAuto
11-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Walmart sells a product called greased lightening in the household cleaning section. That does a great job as well. I use it for ALL my cleaning.

In the very long ago past....in the dinosaur days, we used to take the race car to the quarter car wash (the do it yourself one) and go to the high pressure one. Whatever biodegradable degreaser they use in the engine washing cycle does a good job, especially for those end of year, put the baby to bed type of cleaning. You wouldn't believe what came out of under the car. Mud, grass, yeh, you got to remember all those off course excursions... :rolleyes: