PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

lateapex911
11-02-2006, 04:24 PM
...but the inside is all worn or cupped.

So, don't shoot me, as I know there was a thread on this recently, but can't find it.

I have a little 20 foot enclosed trailer, double axle, torsion bar suspension, electric brake, and tow it with my GMC Sierra with weight distribution bars.

I will of course replacve all four tires, before towing to Atlanta, but is the wear a concern? The tires have been on the trailer for easily four years now, so it's not a huge issue. Inflation pressures have been appropriate as far as I know.

What are the suggestions for replacment? Currently they are: Carlisle "USA TRAIL", 215/75 D/S. Or that "D/S" might be DIS...not sure. Anyway, suggestions? Oh...the load is usually a 2500 pound car and another 500 pounds of crap probably.

Thanks!

CCARVER
11-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Trailer Tires (http://www.championtrailers.com/tire.html)
This guy has been great. Pick up the phone and tell him exactly what you have.
He is local to me, but has been a great help at all times.
Prices are reasonable also.
Site info, Specs, how to, why and why not.
Good luck, see you guys in ATL.
Carver

dickita15
11-02-2006, 05:40 PM
use trailer tires, not car tires

joeg
11-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Do what Dick says.

Trailer tires are not expensive. Mine usually dry rot, so I never run into tread wear concerns.

I like the radials.

philstireservice
11-22-2006, 11:00 AM
You can use this guy too.......philstireservice.com

if you are at the track when I'm there I have them in stock

lateapex911
11-22-2006, 11:48 AM
Jeez Phil...I should have thought of you. Of course, I wasn't at the track earlier this year, but next time around! (I ended up going to Town Fair Tire who were able to make my spread the entire thing out into a 6 trip, 40 phone, 3 day call debacle, thanks to their inability to provide the 4 matching tires they promised......and it cost me about $500....and the guy kept calling me "Jack" even though the receipt said JAKE, AND I reminded him every time he did it.....never again)

FWIW, do this stuff in advance guys...I COULD have ordered a wheel/tire setup online, taken 15 minutes to bolt them up, and had nice new tires AND wheels in a fifth of the time AND saved about $100 in the process if I had the time to wait for them to arrive.

(On the other hand at least I saw the issue before they blew halfway to Atlanta, just before the rain started....cuz thats what trailer tires do...blow right before the rain starts.)