PDA

View Full Version : And the Weather Forecast...

Greg Amy
11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
...10 days out, is for RAIN!

This should throw some wrenches into the gearsets...!

JamesB
11-02-2006, 02:57 PM
gives the egg a bit of an advantage huh.

Andy Bettencourt
11-02-2006, 03:29 PM
gives the egg a bit of an advantage huh. [/b]

Maybe against the RWD cars but against the FWD cars? Nope...

JamesB
11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
true. keep those pesky 1.8 miatas near the back ;)

tom_sprecher
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
To be honest, at this time of the year the weather forecast for this part of the country can change almost daily and a 10 day forecast is more often wrong than right. I am waiting until next Tuesday before I make any predictions.

benspeed
11-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm thinkin' Greg's more than fired up for this race - we'll be cheering for ya!

gsbaker
11-02-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm thinkin' Greg's more than fired up for this race...
[/b]Racin' Jones fer shur. :)

RSTPerformance
11-02-2006, 06:05 PM
It had better not rain!!! I will be soooo bumed...

Raymond

Bildon
11-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Rain? :eclipsee_steering:
The Corrado has 4 brand new rains. How many FWD ITS cars are there? B)

dazzlesa
11-02-2006, 06:46 PM
boo rain! but i have 4 new rain tires also :rolleyes:

R2 Racing
11-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GregAmy)</div>

...10 days out, is for RAIN!

This should throw some wrenches into the gearsets...![/b]
That&#39;s fine. Like your mail man, I deliver in no matter what the weather is. B)

<!--QuoteBegin-Bildon

The Corrado has 4 brand new rains. How many FWD ITS cars are there?
+1 on the FWD ITS list. Probably our only real hope at a good finish.

DavidM
11-03-2006, 12:27 PM
To be honest, at this time of the year the weather forecast for this part of the country can change almost daily and a 10 day forecast is more often wrong than right. I am waiting until next Tuesday before I make any predictions.
[/b]

I&#39;m waiting till Friday morning. Sunny and chilly here in Atl today. Be nice if it&#39;s this way next Friday.

David

charrbq
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM
I&#39;ve seen it change in a matter of hours at Atlanta. A wet race dries, a dry race gets a down pour, one dry race followed by a flood, frost, heat, etc. I sit this gamble out until after the checkered flag falls. :035:

timrogers
11-04-2006, 11:45 PM
As of right now, here&#39;s the update:
Thursday:
Few Showers
High 75°F
Low 52°F

Precip. 30 %

Friday:
Isolated T-Storms
High 71°F
Low 55°F

Precip. 30 %

Saturday:
Partly Cloudy
High 70°F
Low 47°F

Precip. 20 %

Sunday:
Scattered Showers
High 69°F
Low 46°F

Precip. 60 %

So, yeah, keep watching the forecast. :unsure:

dominojd
11-05-2006, 08:26 AM
Thursday:
Few Showers
High 75°F
Low 52°F

Precip. 30 %

Friday:
Isolated T-Storms
High 71°F
Low 55°F

Precip. 30 %

Saturday:
Partly Cloudy
High 70°F
Low 47°F

Precip. 20 %

Sunday:
Scattered Showers
High 69°F
Low 46°F

Precip. 60 %

[/b]

Changed again
http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/int...DayLink_driving (http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/USGA0069?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_driving)

Thursday:
Few Showers
High 75°F
Low 52°F

Precip. 30 %

Friday:
Isolated T-Storms
High 71°F
Low 55°F

Precip. 30 %

Saturday:
Partly Cloudy
High 70°F
Low 47°F

Precip. 20 %

Sunday:
Scattered Showers
High 69°F
Low 46°F

Precip. 60 %

[/b]

Changed again
http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/int...DayLink_driving (http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/USGA0069?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_driving)

timrogers
11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Changed again
[/b]
Well, at least it has the link to wet weather driving tips on Saturday.
Maybe tomorrow there will be tips on wet weather car setups. :rolleyes:
Actually, I&#39;ve only driven Road Atlanta in the wet one time. I&#39;ve heard that in heavy rain there is a river that runs down the hill (on driver&#39;s right?) from turn 11 and crosses at 12. :o
Anybody care to post R.A.&#39;s areas of caution in the wet?

CaptainWho
11-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I haven&#39;t driven Road Atlanta, wet or dry, but I&#39;ve worked corners there for four years and I&#39;ve seen it in every weather condition except ice, including fog so bad the corner stations couldn&#39;t see each other. The nastiest wetness that I&#39;m aware of is

a) The hill from T11 through T12 ... if it rains a lot, the water can actually "sheet" down the hill, crossing from driver&#39;s left just past the T11 station across to driver&#39;s right near the bottom of the hill. It&#39;s like a really wide, really shallow river. When the light is right, it&#39;s really visible.

B) T5 ... a small river forms from up near the track-out rumble strips near the T5 station, down the hill, across the apex of T5 and back over to driver&#39;s right before running off the track at the bottom of the rumbles on driver&#39;s right just before turn in for T5

c) T10a ... not much in the way of rivers, but you&#39;re going really fast, you get a little light as you come over the hill at T9, you&#39;re braking about as hard as anywhere on this track, and for a long time, and you&#39;ve probably got a couple of cars around you ... luckily, gravity is going to give you a grip assist at the bottom of the hill, but maybe after you&#39;ve initiated the turn in

d) Occasionally, under really heavy rain, you can get a little "streaming" down from T4 through The Esses ... if it&#39;s wet you&#39;ve pretty much got to tiptoe through The Esses anyway if you don&#39;t want to visit us at the corners during the race

Up the hill after T1 doesn&#39;t seem to be much of a problem, and T2 through T4 don&#39;t build up water but it&#39;s tight and slicker than normal. The backstretch and the run from T5 to T7 don&#39;t seem to be much trouble. T7 has more fun than normal due to the extra slickness, the camber going away from you after the apex, and the inevitable spray of mud on the surface as the day goes on.

Hracer
11-06-2006, 01:05 AM
To add to the helpful comments, this is what it looks like from inside. Click on the links.

wet1 (http://uncutvideo.aol.com/search/relevant/aadf7071f2afd1ddf99ed084655d8eaa?value=Road%20Atla nta&index=4)

wet2 (http://uncutvideo.aol.com/search/relevant/a9ae9b53bbdae59093393f37b91bf357?value=Road%20Atla nta&index=1)

not as wet (http://uncutvideo.aol.com/search/relevant/4d87c39be04bfb995b0b711120a28fc7?value=Road%20Atla nta&index=2)

Road Atlanta is fun in the rain. 99% of the time, the driver who stays on the track is the one who comes out on top. If it&#39;s raining hard definitely bring dirt stockers, or something with a lots of tread that can dissipate tons of water. If you&#39;re stuck on the wrong tires, you&#39;ll have to have to lift on the straights like I did in those vids. And at the ARRC, I bet there will be some people willing to do some 360 degrees of aqua planing ballet before thinking about lifting. ;) Watch out for the rivers that can form at the bottom of T11 and in the esses. If it&#39;s just damp, it will be very slippery in the T3/T4/esses and T5/T6 areas. Be extra careful starting from T3 because from there it&#39;s all down hill and any mistake or slide you might get into is going to want to stay with you all the way down into T4 and the esses, or until you hit something. Hope this helps and good luck!

tom_sprecher
11-06-2006, 08:10 AM
The weather is shaping up pretty good so far. It&#39;s looking like sunny and in the mid 70&#39;s. Wait until tomorrow to be sure.

DavidM
11-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Well, at least it has the link to wet weather driving tips on Saturday.
Maybe tomorrow there will be tips on wet weather car setups. :rolleyes:
Actually, I&#39;ve only driven Road Atlanta in the wet one time. I&#39;ve heard that in heavy rain there is a river that runs down the hill (on driver&#39;s right?) from turn 11 and crosses at 12. :o
Anybody care to post R.A.&#39;s areas of caution in the wet?
[/b]

I&#39;m not even close to an expert, but here&#39;s what I noticed when I drove it in fairly heavy rain in Februrary.

- A river forms at the bottom of the esses. Straighten up before you hit it.
- The exit of T5 is pretty slick. Watch the throttle or you&#39;ll get to practice your drifting skills - like I did several times.
- T6 didn&#39;t seem too bad to me, though if you carry too much speed you&#39;ll be in the grass.
- The back straight wasn&#39;t too bad, but I couldn&#39;t go flat out because I was having trouble with my windshield fogging and the back straight was when I cleaned it.
- T11 and T12 also didn&#39;t seem too bad. I didn&#39;t notice the "river", but I was too busy trying to stay on the track.
- Stay off the grass or you&#39;ll get a trip on Mr. Toad&#39;s Wild Ride, which very well may end in a wall.

I was on full tread Toyos, which was not the tire to be on. You want Hoosier rains or dirt stockers if it&#39;s really raining.

Weather report looks good today, but I&#39;m still waiting for Friday morning.

David

Greg Amy
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Now we&#39;re talking, baby!

"Beautiful with intervals of clouds and sunshine. Winds from the ESE at 8 mph. Realfeel®: 69 °F High: 71 °F"

dominojd
11-07-2006, 07:18 AM
That&#39;s fine. Like your mail man, I deliver in no matter what the weather is. [/b]

I hope your mailman isn&#39;t like mine, a really slow 80 year old woman and the mail is always late. :D

(Things Greg Amy won&#39;t say but, is thinking)

R2 Racing
11-07-2006, 01:54 PM
No, my mailman is more of a "throw whatever mail into whatever mail box as quickly as possible and then worry about if it&#39;s in the right one later" kind of guy. So yea, that sounds about right.

tbtapper
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I can sure 2nd the fact full tread Toyo&#39;s were not the set up for the Feb06 race.

Several times at the bottom of the Esses up into 5 I was in full hydro mode and scared s. . .Less.

Also, down the back straight about the flag shack car control was getting dicy and in those conditions there IS a turn there!!

The rain was pretty hard though and in lesser conditions the Toyo&#39;s were ok especially if there is a dry line starting to develop. In those conditions the Toyo&#39;s will definitely out perform the Dstockers/dedicated rains.

Travers
ITS 19

RSTPerformance
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I can sure 2nd the fact full tread Toyo&#39;s were not the set up for the Feb06 race.

Several times at the bottom of the Esses up into 5 I was in full hydro mode and scared s. . .Less.

Also, down the back straight about the flag shack car control was getting dicy and in those conditions there IS a turn there!!

The rain was pretty hard though and in lesser conditions the Toyo&#39;s were ok especially if there is a dry line starting to develop. In those conditions the Toyo&#39;s will definitely out perform the Dstockers/dedicated rains.

Travers
ITS 19
[/b]

You may want to consider the Hoosier Rains over the Dirt Stockers and or other tires. The Hoosier Rains outperformed the Dirt Stockers in all out rain conditions during back to back test sessions on the same car with the same driver (Different track though). The Hoosier Rains also will not chunk in the dry, making them an excellent tire for all conditions. While the Dirt Stockers feel more comfortable in the turn they are not the fastest tire choice from our experience and as mentioned Dirt Stockers don&#39;t like dry pavement to much :wacko:

Raymond