PDA

View Full Version : 99 Suburban Brake Controller

backformore
11-01-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm trying to install a brake controller in my 99 Burb. Does anyone who has done this have a suggestion on how to access the brake switch or where to pass the other wires through the firewall?

GMC was kind enough to run the external wiring (which would have been easy to do) but has none of the internal.

Help

HONDA69
11-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Go to local GMC dealer's parts department w/ VIN of vehicle & have them order brake controller harness. Part number depends on vehicle - that's why you go to dealer w/ VIN.

backformore
11-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I'll check, but I'm pretty sure it's not that easy. I don't believe there is anu such harness for that year. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

BillW
11-08-2006, 11:42 AM
If your Suburban came with a tow package and 7 wire connector at the back, it's probably factory wired for a controller and all you need is the harness. Check with these folks for the harness and controller if you don't already have one.. I can recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy.

http://www.brakecontroller.com/

Bill

backformore
11-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I'll add what I do know for the benefit of others looking into the same problem.

The Chevy/GMC trucks that came with a towing package have the prewired plug ONLY IF IT IS THE MODEL AFTER THE LAST REDESIGN.

For TRUCKS, that is any model year 1999 or later. For SUVs, it is any model year 2000 or later.

So, if you have wired a brake controller in a pre 1999 truck or pre 2000 suv and have any helpful hints, I would appreciate them.

PS I did check with my GMC dealer and was told, "No, sorry, no harness or easy connection."

mlytle
11-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm trying to install a brake controller in my 99 Burb. Does anyone who has done this have a suggestion on how to access the brake switch or where to pass the other wires through the firewall?

GMC was kind enough to run the external wiring (which would have been easy to do) but has none of the internal.

Help
[/b]

i did this on my 99 k2500.

take power off the aux terminals on the back side of the fuse box, rear left of engine compt.

run wires through fire wall just below and to the left side of the steering column. think there is something else that already goes through that you can chase. don't have the truck anymore so i can't go look.

tap the wire coming off the "on" side of the brake switch. ez to do.

make sure you run a new ground all the way back to the battery.

did you already find the wire bundle by the fuse box that goes to the back of the truck? it is well hidden with black tape?

don't have the link anymore, but i got the instructions for this job off one of the gmc or rv truck boards.