PDA

View Full Version : Do IT Engine rules work?

chumpy36
11-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Hey folks,

Looking for some input here. In Spec Miata there is some support welling to control the effect of pro motors on the cost and competitiveness of the class.

One of the options discussed has been to publish a set of engine specs and let people build to those specs. Thus taking some of the magic out of the pro motors. Idea is, if any v8 machinist jockey can do the work than the engine build will get most of the performance of the pro motors for alot less money.

This is similar to IT engine rules yes? Do you find that this ends up leveling the playing field? Or are the pro built IT motors still have a significant advantage?

Thanks for any insight...

Jason

lateapex911
11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Jason, it's going to be interesting getting to the bottom of WHY the pro motors make the hp they do.

If it's because the pro shops are going through hundreds of parts looking for the lightest one, then yes, just allowing that will save $. But...if it's because they go through hundreds of heads to find the ones that make 5 hp more because they flow better, then, no, that can't be designed in.

seckerich
11-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Won't likely make any difference. The pro builders find power by finding 1-2 hp in all the possible places. The average builder does not have the time or talent to do the same. Doing this for a living gives them the volume to justify the expense.

joeg
11-01-2006, 03:40 PM
There are far too many different kinds of motors in IT to publish "specs". There are just a few in SM and they are basically of the same architecture.

Z3_GoCar
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Jason, it's going to be interesting getting to the bottom of WHY the pro motors make the hp they do.

If it's because the pro shops are going through hundreds of parts looking for the lightest one, then yes, just allowing that will save $. But...if it's because they go through hundreds of heads to find the ones that make 5 hp more because they flow better, then, no, that can't be designed in.
[/b]

My friend who runs a Formula Continental (pre Z-tech) has an interesting story that relates to this issue with SM and pro-motors. It seems all of the run-offs and championships in FC have been won with one head. This head specs out fine as far as port size goes and a tech inspector wouldn't be able to tell why it wins all the big races. The reason why is that it's a factory reject. Now do you think your V8 jockey would be able to get the right kind of factory reject to make more power? No, only a pro shop with factory connections could go out in the scrap pile and look for the right kind of reject, they'd then magnaflux and inspect and machine, and ect. Untill they've got a class beating stock head. Same for all these reground stock cams that have filtered into the class. How'd Sunbelt et al. get hold of factory cam blanks with the stock part number on them? What are the tolerances for the stock cam profile and could you grind a cam that matches the best profile with in that tolerance? Normal production tolereances have lots of wiggle room in this respect, room that can be taken advantage of. Now you've got a good well season block, how square is it, how well are the cylinders located with respect to the crank pin? How straight are the main bearings aligned? Everything that's machined into a chunk of metal will change after a good number of heat and stress cycles. This is where a good blue-print can really make hidden hp. and these details the average may be able to cover, or they may not, in the end you'll still spend the same money as the pro-built motor, because they've developed the knoledge base to make the hp, or you'll be paying for the local shop to develop this same knoledge base. In the end though, I think a more open blue-print allowing motor rule will benefit SM. It'll make it marginally cheaper, but the motors are getting old and need going through and a no blue-printting rule no longer makes sense, especially for the 1.6l's.

James

AntonioGG
11-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Mazda has an awesome motorsports support program so they sell the blanks...right in the catalog, no secrets. Why the stock number on the blank? It's cast. They just sell you literaly a blank cam before they grind it. Don't forget that there are many other type of Miatas racing out there not just IT/SM/SS type prep level.

cherokee
11-03-2006, 02:30 PM
I always wondered that with all of Mazda's envolvement in racing why don't they just supply a sealed spec motor from the factory, I would think that they could. kinda like SRF.

dj10
11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Won't likely make any difference. The pro builders find power by finding 1-2 hp in all the possible places. The average builder does not have the time or talent to do the same. Doing this for a living gives them the volume to justify the expense. [/b]

I found this out the hard way. So very true.

racer_tim
11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
This is why they are trying to come with a "sealed" Spec Miata Class.

I know that we have that here in San Francisco. I've heard SM guys / gals say "I was 4th in "sealed" spec miata"

I can see this going down the same route as SRF given the popularity, and the vaste differences in motors, shocks, etc.

kgobey
11-17-2006, 04:29 PM
This is why you never want to get into a class where earning money for wining is a possible consequence.

This is why all National classes suck monkey nuts. :birra:

Bill Miller
11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
I always wondered that with all of Mazda's envolvement in racing why don't they just supply a sealed spec motor from the factory, I would think that they could. kinda like SRF.
[/b]

That's the $64k question.

Mark LaBarre
12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
It would be more effective to have a claim rule in a class like spec miata than open up the rules.