PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with axle nuts!

gran racing
10-30-2006, 08:46 AM
I realize this sounds like a silly question, but I always struggle in taking off axle nuts that were put on by the factory. One of the biggest problems is how it is crimped on. Right now I need to take both axles off, and it’s holding up me getting the engine out. Both axle nuts are crimped, and I’ve tried multiple methods to un-crimp it. I attempted using a hammer and small chisel to pry it open, but that didn’t work. How do garages (or people more proficient in working on cars) do this? I imagine it’s necessary to un-crimp the axle nut even if I had a very strong impact gun, no? I also wouldn’t imagine there are any special tools other than what I’ve been using, but then again I’ve also thought this before when performing various jobs on the car. Any recommendations other than hit the chisel even harder if that’s possible?

Thanks!

Conover
10-30-2006, 09:01 AM
I imagine it’s necessary to un-crimp the axle nut even if I had a very strong impact gun, no?

Thanks!
[/b]

Nope a good impact will just spin them right off.

tom_sprecher
10-30-2006, 09:05 AM
What he said.

gran racing
10-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice. I had to believe there was an easier way. Looks like I've got yet another reason to buy a good impact wrench!

tom91ita
10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
i have never uncrimped them on my hondas prior to removal. but they can be very stubborn.

a junkyard trick is to jam a screwdriver in the slotted brake rotor and turn until the caliper holds it and then use a breaker bar.

usually, i just use the breaker bar when the wheels are on and the car is on the ground. make sure you are pushing on the "downhill" side to force the tire into the ground. i've seen some people trying to pull up and then the tire turns as it gets light when pulling on a long breaker bar.

joeg
10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
do it when the wheels are on the ground.

A big breaker bar with the correct socket is sufficient.

RSTPerformance
10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
On the Audi's we always used 1/2 drive tools, and unfortunatly broke several... After decided that the tool store would eventually stop replacing them, and the fact that one of us were going to get hurt sometime we spent the $70 and bought 3/4 drive stuff. Works slick and we are not fearing for our lives!!!

Raymond

67ITB
10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Dave,
You need to add 100 lbs to your skinny self.

let me know if you want I can stop by and loan you the 100lbs and or some 3/4 drive stuff W/ a cheater bar

Matt Bal

gran racing
10-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Last night I was able to get one side off using a super duper cheater bar - a ~ 8 ft. fence pole. Even then it was a struggle. The advice of not needing to un-crimp the axel nut was a huge help! The other side didn't go as smoothly... I've heard of people taking the engine out with only removing one axel assembly completely, and jus tilting the engine and removing the other one. Maybe I'll give that a try first.

Matt - thank you for the offer!!! I may need to take you up on it at some point even if not for this and just another opinion how to address the next upcoming issue I encounter. Can't wait to see what that's gonna be. :rolleyes:

RSTPerformance
10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Dave-

Your going to want to change the other one anyhow aren't you? might as well do it now rather than later... especialy later at the track... been thier, done that :dead_horse:

Raymond

RacerBill
10-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Dave: Ignoring the possibility of lifting the front wheel off the ground with the force applied to the nut, you can exert more force on the end of the bar by pulling up rather than pushing down. Pushing down, unless you can wedge yourself between the bar and the ceiling, the maximum force you can exert is equal to your weight. Pulling the bar up, you can exert force with both your legs and arms.

RSTPerformance
10-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Bill-

Have you met dave??? He is a a monster (very tall ogar) but he is a tab bit on the wimpy side and his weight certainly "outdoes" his strength!!! :cavallo:

lol

had to :) :birra:

Raymond "Good Advice Bill" Blethen

gran racing
10-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Ray, have you looked at your signature picture lately?

http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/smiley-faces21.gif

Right back at cha bud. LOL!

RSTPerformance
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Thats my brother that looks goofy... not me :rolleyes:

Raymond

HOOSER 99
10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Brain to hand--"step away from the keyboard....don't type it.....you'll be sorry.....it won't be funny....let somebody else do it.......aarrrrggghhh..brain won

Happy Halloween

RSTPerformance
10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Brain to hand--"step away from the keyboard....don't type it.....you'll be sorry.....it won't be funny....let somebody else do it.......aarrrrggghhh..brain won

Happy Halloween
[/b]

Jerry... it wil be funny do it!!!

Happy Holloween :)

Raymond