PDA

View Full Version : The story of the runaway tire

tcpip
10-28-2006, 01:49 PM
So last night dave was attempting to help me bring a couple of tires from his house to my car. Well, someone (not me) decided to roll one of the tires out the door. You can guess what happened next; Dave lost a grip on the tire and it started to roll down his yard. We just stood there in the doorway watching, figuring it would fall over any second. Wouldn't you know it, it kept going. First to the road. Then across the road. Hits the curb, turns right, and down the street it goes. Then across the intersecting street. Rolls up the curb onto someone's yard. At this point I'm at getting into my car, knowing all is well, because the tire was surely going to fall over. Nope, it stopped, then rolled back down to the street and turn right, and headed down the 2nd street. At this point I've lost sight of it, and I start driving. I drove down 3 streets trying to find the damn tire. I couldn't. I came back to Dave's to pick him up. We drove around again. Still nothing. So we grab a flashlight and some umbrelllas. And we finally found the tire. After rolling down (and I do mean downhill) the 2nd street, it somehow turned into someones driveway, passed a parked car, and rolled up to the garage. I kid you not. This tire had a mind of its own. Once it realized that i was going to be put onto a VW (it was a Honda rim) it ran for dear life.

gran racing
10-28-2006, 02:33 PM
I told Melissa the story last night when she got home, and when I told her where it ended up, her reaction was "No way!". Well, I've had to search for a missing dog at night before, but a tire? When Jon pulled up in the car, I thought he was messing around with me and had it in the trunk or something. Nope! When driving around, I kept thinking how far could it really have gone? I couldn't even believe that it would make it to the end of my street, but keep going after that? I just couldn't believe we were actually driving around my neighborhood looking for the rim that got away. Did someone in the neighborhood do it as a joke? But no one was outside and we would have seen them. I personally came close to giving up looking for the darn thing.

Today I drove down to where the tire finally stopped, leaning against a stone wall next to someone's garage door. Hmm, I'll have to check to see if it was a Honda parked in the driveway. I have a feeling I'll remember this story for quite a while! Too funny.

Jon - I told you those are some fast tires!! :lol:

lateapex911
10-28-2006, 03:13 PM
You guys are soooo lucky that it didn't bounce into some aluminum fender on some expensive car!

tom91ita
10-28-2006, 08:25 PM
good story. i thought it was going to be a link to this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...&q=runaway+tire (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4437747333127748536&q=runaway+tire)

Greg Amy
10-28-2006, 10:42 PM
I kid you not. This tire had a mind of its own. Once it realized that i was going to be put onto a VW (it was a Honda rim) it ran for dear life.
[/b]

Bwah-hah-hah! It would only get better if you had VIDEO!!!

charrbq
10-29-2006, 09:57 AM
That video reminds me of a crew member at the Runoffs back in the late '80's that did virtually the same thing. As I remember, there was some alcohol and probably some mind altering chemicals involved.

gran racing
10-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Now that was a funny video!

BobsAuto
10-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Couldn't bring up the video! :(

When I first saw the thread, I thought of Stephen's wheel jumping the 6 ft. fence at LRP only to disappear into the swamp. Wish I had video of Stephen and Justin waist deep in the swamp looking for the wheel. Wonder if a bear got it! :P

m glassburner
10-29-2006, 04:30 PM
The wheel says....Hey guys where's the party at ?? :rolleyes:

StephF
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
How well I know how tires think...
Many years ago, I stopped in to buy a load of hay at a farmer friend of mine. I no sooner got out of the truck when he greeted me with, "You want hay? Then get your ass up on that bunk silo and help us cap it first."
The silos were laid out in an L shape, and they were laying the plastic down at the heel of the L. Both silos were filled, and the one that they weren't working on was already covered in plastic that was held with rows of junk tires. I was working at the end of the one that was done, throwing tires across to the guy on the one they were doing. It was a sunny day in late September, and the work was actually kind of soothing, sort of like building a tire wall.
Well, about a 20 minutes into it, this old wood paneled station wagon pulled into the yard,stopping at the base of the silo that was already capped. This old farmer neighbor gets out of the car. He was probably 80+ years old at this time (he has since passed away) and quite frankly, the farmer I was working with didn't like him very much. He starts almost heckling this old guy as we kept laying tires down. I picked up another empty tire and I threw it across to Gary, the guy I had been tossing tires to for the past 20 minutes. Gary must have suffered from a brain fart or something, and instead of reaching for it, he stood there staring at me as the tire sailed at him. He made no move to catch it. It hit next to him, bounced straight up in the air and sailed off the side of the silo onto the one that was capped. I figured it would hit and fall over. Nope. It wobbled, then steadied and started rolling downhill. The rows of tires holding the plastic were staggered, so I thought it would hit one and get deflected. Nope. It had it's own inner GPS system that kept it upright and traveling downhill, picking up speed all the while. It cleared all the tires holding the plastic. It stayed upright. And it rolled off the end of the silo and across probably 35 feet of driveway.....right into the passenger side door of this poor old guy's station wagon. It hit with a solid thud, leaving a dent and a black tire mark to boot.
I reacted in an appropriate fashion.....I doubled over screaming with laughter! Just couldn't help it, even though it wasn't the nicest thing to do. He glared at me with a look that could melt glass and got in his car and took off. I felt bad that it happened, even though it was an accident.
And to this day, my friends will still go off about "Remember that time she threw a tire at old man Howden's car?!"
Their story about it has changed a bit over the years..... ;)

JamesB
10-30-2006, 12:13 PM
now thats pretty comical. here hoosier hoosier hoosier.

lateapex911
10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
.... was actually kind of soothing, sort of like building a tire wall.
[/b]

Yup.....building a tire wall. Soothing...Just like relaxing on a warm beach listening to the surf and drinking a cool bottle of beer.

Ummm no.

Soothing?? Steph, Steph, Steph...if you think wrangling old slimy mosquito infested skanky tirees into a wall in the blazing heat is soothing, we neeed to talk. ;)

StephF
10-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Heh heh heh.....that was sarcasm, Jake...
B)