PDA

View Full Version : Why 8.5?

Zodiac
10-26-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi forgive me if this has been discused before but I was just wondering why a wheel width of 8.5 inches is being considered for ITR.
Is there a specific car being included that came stock with that width?
It just seems to me that a max width of 8 inches would make more sense from a purely finacial stand point.

dj10
10-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Hi forgive me if this has been discused before but I was just wondering why a wheel width of 8.5 inches is being considered for ITR.
Is there a specific car being included that came stock with that width?
It just seems to me that a max width of 8 inches would make more sense from a purely finacial stand point.

[/b]

Why not 8.5"? Use the 8" if you want, won't matter to me. :D

Knestis
10-27-2006, 08:04 PM
i was kind of hoping that someone else who was in on those conversations might remember and chime in. I don't.

There IS a record of all of those discussions since they happened on this board. I'm just not sure where they ended up.

K

Zodiac
10-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Why not 8.5"? Use the 8" if you want, won't matter to me. :D
[/b]

Because I can get 16x8s for $375 a piece......but 8.5s are at least twice as much :(
multiply that by at least 3 (2 dry sets, 1 rain).....you see what I mean?

anyway just my 2 cents B)

JoshS
10-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Well, I know of at least two cars on the ITR list that came with 17x8.5" rear wheels from the factory.

For my car, I just bought lightweight 17x8.5 wheels for $200 each. I did look into the possibility of 16x8.5 for this car, but that is definitely not a very common size for BMWs.

How about running 17x8.5 on your car? What is your car?

dj10
10-28-2006, 07:38 AM
Because I can get 16x8s for $375 a piece......but 8.5s are at least twice as much :(
multiply that by at least 3 (2 dry sets, 1 rain).....you see what I mean?

anyway just my 2 cents B) [/b]

Hell, I'll sell you 17 x 8" for 250.00 ;) . You can get Team Dynamic 17 x 8" wheels for 190.00. Don't pay those high prices unless you are getting SSR very light weight wheels and is .6 lbs worth an additional 200 per wheel? You decide. What kind of car are you racing in ITR?

Knestis
10-28-2006, 08:00 AM
Well, I know of at least two cars on the ITR list that came with 17x8.5" rear wheels from the factory. ...
[/b]
That would have been enough to make the decision, right there.

K

lateapex911
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
yea, we went back and forth on this, but in the end, it was decided that there were lots of options in either width that were priced well, and the extra half inch wouldn't hurt, considering the weight of some of the cars.....

Bill Miller
10-28-2006, 11:53 AM
IIRC, the ITR AdHoc had settled on 8" wheels, but the CRB kicked it up to 8.5". I don't know if that was a result of them getting a preliminary version of the proposal (which had 8.5" in it), or not.

Andy Bettencourt
10-28-2006, 01:25 PM
8.5" was decided on because there were cars in ITR that had 8.5" wheels stock. It seems like a resonable limit.

Zodiac
10-29-2006, 12:49 AM
8.5" was decided on because there were cars in ITR that had 8.5" wheels stock. It seems like a resonable limit.
[/b]

Thats what I thought, but I was just making sure.
For those who asked I'm building a Porsche 968.

Thanks for the replies

lateapex911
10-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Thats what I thought, but I was just making sure.
For those who asked I'm building a Porsche 968.

Thanks for the replies
[/b]
What's your plan for engine development??

Zodiac
10-30-2006, 11:20 PM
At the moment I don't have much planned in the engine department other then the normal things you'd start with such as exhaust, performance chip, etc. So nothing fancy just yet, but I'm buying another engine to develop further.
Unfortunatly I don't have the budget to go all out just yet and in fact I may not have the car ready till 09, but it will get done eventually. :D

lateapex911 I see you've got a 944S2, should be a good car for ITR.

lateapex911
10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
At the moment I don't have much planned in the engine department other then the normal things you'd start with such as exhaust, performance chip, etc. So nothing fancy just yet, but I'm buying another engine to develop further.
Unfortunatly I don't have the budget to go all out just yet and in fact I may not have the car ready till 09, but it will get done eventually. :D

lateapex911 I see you've got a 944S2, should be a good car for ITR.
[/b]

Well, thats the idea, at least, LOL.

One thing which is troubling about it is the cost of a frontline max effort engine. I'm still looking to see what the options are in that dept. The other downside is the Porsche pricing on aftermarket parts. The flipside of that is that the companies making them are often making solid top notch parts, which can be an issue in the racing game.

Knestis
10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Hey, Jake - that S2 might make a really good endurance car...

K

Zodiac
11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Well, thats the idea, at least, LOL.

One thing which is troubling about it is the cost of a frontline max effort engine. I'm still looking to see what the options are in that dept. The other downside is the Porsche pricing on aftermarket parts. The flipside of that is that the companies making them are often making solid top notch parts, which can be an issue in the racing game.
[/b]

Yea your right I was actually playing around with the idea of keeping it street legal for the first year of racing because of the cost of a full-on engine. There was a very succesful team in europe that had a 968 CS like that which they would convert back and forth between racing and street specs. GVR racing I believe.
Anyway I haven't made up my mind yet on the engine, I'm still making all my pre-build plans.

KC944
11-14-2006, 05:59 PM
The some porsche boxster's came with 8 1/2 wheels and some 944's came with 9" rear wheels. I would like to see 9" wheels because with porsche factory wheel sets where 8" & 9" and the offset of the 8"s will not clear the rear caliper. The expense of having 8 1/2"s made is a big number ($).

KC
944 S2