PDA

View Full Version : How Nuts Can I Go?

CaptainWho
10-25-2006, 09:21 PM
When I renewed my tags back in August, I found out that my tow vehicle is exempt from emissions requirements in our area due to its GVWR or something. So, I'm wondering just how far I can go in increasing its towing performance that's still reversible if the Powers That Be change the emissions rules down the road. I figure I can go to a straight pipe or nearly so on the exhaust. It'd be loud, but I can't believe it'd be any lounder than the Harleys around here. ECU programmer. Better breathing intake. Some sort of rear suspension leveler for when heavily loaded. What else?

joeg
10-26-2006, 06:33 AM
Duramax? Still under warranty?

I would reconsider the chips. They tend to become drugs --the more you want--leading to tranny blow-ups and strange engine issues that force some dealers to say no coverage.

You do not need the extra powerchips with that drive train

lateapex911
10-26-2006, 11:19 AM
You might look into the leveling bags (sold everywhere) that have just a basic fill valve or an onboard compressor.

JamesB
10-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Airbags for leveling/hauling, chip, intake, exhaust and you will see the difference.

Around the DC metro area there are still no emmissions for any diesel vehicals.

CaptainWho
10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Hmmmm ... I should've been more clear ... it's the 6.0 liter gas engine. I'd love to have the 6.6 Duramax, but I didn't want another $5k on the tab. :-)

handfulz28
10-27-2006, 11:35 AM
If you've got some time, poke around on www.ls1trucks.com
Wealth of info. Get your PCM programmed by one of the advertisers (Nelsons, etc.); don't use a Hypertech, Predator, etc.
Best overall bang for buck would probably be long-tube headers (not shorties), y-pipe, MAYBE an aftermarket exhaust. I don't think the factory muffler is all that restrictive; it's the upstream stuff that needs opening up. And of course an aftermarket intake would complement anything you do.
You've got an HD, you shouldn't need anything for load-handling. I've got a Yukon XL 2500 (8.1L/496) and tow my Haulmark 24' enclosed without weight distribution, any helper stuff. Truck and trailer sit perfectly level. I do have a weight-dist. setup that I'll hookup just because I bought it and the sway control will help a bit.

If you really want to go crazy: www.ststurbo.com

Good luck,
Michael

ITC Racer
11-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Doug- What are you towing with the truck (trailer type, size, wt) and what kind of mileage do you get empty and loaded?

I am considering this truck in the future and curious how it tows.

CaptainWho
11-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Doug- What are you towing with the truck (trailer type, size, wt) and what kind of mileage do you get empty and loaded?

I am considering this truck in the future and curious how it tows.
[/b]

The heaviest load I tow is an ITA (Gen1) RX-7 on a 16' steel dual axle trailer, plus all of the assorted crap needed for a weekend at the track. I estimate that the trailer plus car is in the neighborhood of 4,000 pounds, and I've probably got close to another 1,000 pounds of tools, tires, supplies, parts, clothes, tents, food, drinks, me, ... :-)

With that load, it tows like a dream. When accelerating or braking you can tell you've got a load, but not when you're cruising. I hope the braking situation will get even better when I get a brake controller for the trailer brakes installed.

Unloaded I get about 15 mpg on a long interstate run, about 13 around the city. Fully loaded I get about 13 mpg in both environments.

Mine is the 4x4 work truck version. I've only put it in four-wheel-drive about four or five times, though, usually to get out of muddy situations. When it's in 4WD mode, the low speed (under 10 mph) understeer is horrific, even at low speed, but I don't off-road, so I'm not terribly worried about it. :-) I don't think I've ever had it over 10 mph in 4WD mode, either. Usually I just get the rig to the pavement and switch back to RWD mode.

zchris
11-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Well I have an 2003 version of the 6.0 2500HD and the thing tows well if you can afford the fuel. Towing a 20 foot enclosed with minimul spares I get around 8.5 mpg. The thing is a total gas hog. Towing the exact same setup I used to get 14 mpg with my F150. I did not have the hill climbing ability but didn't use so much gas. We used to use a Ford F350 cube van with one car in it and tow a 30 ft enclosed with a car in that and get 6 mpg. I think my cheby sucks in more than one way.