PDA

View Full Version : ITS In the South East

Ron Earp
10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
With a lot of changes over the past year, including the addition of ITR, SM being huge, ITA coming on strong, who is going to be active in ITS this year?

I finally plan to be with the Jensen ready to go (but development of car and driver just begins) and some other things put aside. Who else is bringing out the S cars in the SEDIV? I look forward to doing a Rookie year in S but will miss the first race this weekend :( .

Ron

dspillrat
10-25-2006, 08:34 PM
HI Ron,
I hope to begin the 07 season in 3 days.....of course the engine is in the floor and poised for install.

Looking at weather report for the weekend, I'm not real crazy about the cold. Baring unforseen events, I plan on at least 8 events for 07.....Now to get that engine in the car.

Good racing guys, safe driving.

david

Parrish57
10-25-2006, 08:45 PM
I'll be doing maybe six to eight races myself. I'm about a half a day ahead of David. I dropped my motor in the car this afternoon.

Here's to '07 being a great year!

seckerich
10-25-2006, 09:33 PM
I plan to run about 8-10 races and the ARRC. Still repairing from the slick---oops, I mean SIC. Still waiting to see if that spare tranny sitting by the car jumps in on it's own for VIR. :rolleyes:

gpbmw
10-25-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm building a house 7 minutes from RA so it will be my home base track. I expect to be active for all the ProIt races next year. I expect to run ITS and ITR with my E36 since I sold the Mazda.

Gerald Potts
Atlanta, GA
94 BMW E36 ITS/ITR

SPiFF
10-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I will be hanging out at the back of the S pack in Pro-IT and some SARRC races next year. This year I didn't get to run much. :( I would like to to 5-6-7 weekends next year including the Barber SARRC and the ARRC.

Ron Earp
10-26-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm building a house 7 minutes from RA so it will be my home base track. I expect to be active for all the ProIt races next year. I expect to run ITS and ITR with my E36 since I sold the Mazda.

Gerald Potts
Atlanta, GA
94 BMW E36 ITS/ITR
[/b]

Gerald, you haven't had any issues with your engine setup restrictor/non-restrictor? I remember a lot of guys complaining about not being able to get the motor setup properly with a restrictor. If you are swapping back and forth then you maybe didn't have the issues? Or simply plan to run one or the other and not switch back and forth?

I will be hanging out at the back of the S pack in Pro-IT and some SARRC races next year. This year I didn't get to run much. :( I would like to to 5-6-7 weekends next year including the Barber SARRC and the ARRC.
[/b]

Looks like I'll have someone back there with me, although I'm sure you'll be ahead of me!

timo944
10-26-2006, 07:56 AM
With changes to the rules in the Porsche Club and the reduced weight, I'll be out in my 944 a couple of times at least. I've already been hunting for places to get the weight down to the 2575 lbs. limit but it ain't easy.

Fastfred92
10-26-2006, 10:33 AM
With changes to the rules in the Porsche Club and the reduced weight, I'll be out in my 944 a couple of times at least. I've already been hunting for places to get the weight down to the 2575 lbs. limit but it ain't easy.
[/b]

Good luck timo! Unless you are about a buck 25 yourself and your 944 is a 83-85, it aint going happen IMO

JeffYoung
10-26-2006, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a good group. We have 10 ITS cars at VIR this weekend, which is pretty high for the Goblins Go. A good sign I think.

gpbmw
10-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Gerald, you haven't had any issues with your engine setup restrictor/non-restrictor? I remember a lot of guys complaining about not being able to get the motor setup properly with a restrictor. If you are swapping back and forth then you maybe didn't have the issues? Or simply plan to run one or the other and not switch back and forth?
Looks like I'll have someone back there with me, although I'm sure you'll be ahead of me!
[/b]

I have a Stickley ITS motor and have had no problems running the SIR or running without. I have not made any changes other than a slight change to the airbox setup to get the SIR to fit. John Norris was very helpful is getting me hooked up. I have the same setup he's using.

I have two sets of stickers for the ARRC and look forward to 1:42's.

With my big ass in the seat it weighs 2905. Worst case is I'd have to add weight to switch from ITR to ITS. I believe I'll get close to the ITR minimum. I plan on sticking with 16" wheels instead of 17". The car was set up that way at Bimmerworld and I do not want to change what works.

I remember running against you at Barber when I had a black E30 M3 widebody a few years ago.

See you at the ARRC.

Gerald Potts
Atlanta, GA.

Ron Earp
10-26-2006, 11:11 AM
I have a Stickley ITS motor and have had no problems running the SIR or running without. I have not made any changes other than a slight change to the airbox setup to get the SIR to fit. John Norris was very helpful is getting me hooked up. I have the same setup he's using.

I remember running against you at Barber when I had a black E30 M3 widebody a few years ago.

See you at the ARRC.

Gerald Potts
Atlanta, GA.
[/b]

Sounds like some of the horror stories were somewhat overrated. Glad you will be running some in S.

Couldn't have been me - I'm still a spring chicken and haven't run any S races at all, nor at Barber. I've only done a little seat time in SM here and there, but my "rookie" competitive year with one car in a series will be in S starting in 2007.

lateapex911
10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Sounds like some of the horror stories were somewhat overrated. Glad you will be running some in S.

[/b]

Indeed, as dan jones set an ITS lap record in ITS at Mid Ohio this year in a SIR'ed E36.

[/b]

What changes are those?? And, do you know how a 944S2 (ITR) car will fit into the PCA classing structure?

gpbmw
10-26-2006, 12:57 PM

Couldn't have been me - I'm still a spring chicken and haven't run any S races at all, nor at Barber. I've only done a little seat time in SM here and there, but my "rookie" competitive year with one car in a series will be in S starting in 2007.
[/b]

Oops....I forgot. I thought you had the green TR-7. Nonetheless welcome to ITS.

As a side note, having the SIR makes me a better driver in that I have to get the most out of the car instead of relying on hp. IMHO the SIR was helpful to the ITS class.

Ron Earp
10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
That'd be Mr. Young up there in the TR8 running in ITS with you. I'll be driving another British heap, the Jensen Healey, which won't make as much noise.

Ron

tbtapper
10-27-2006, 01:16 PM
I plan on running at least 6 perhaps more events also.

ITS 19 RX7 Blue/Red/White. Have had some fun races with Jeff (VIR this year) Gerald (when he was running his RX7) and some of the 944's.

Never been able to run with the good bimmers or big buck Speedsource cars. Hoping to get into the 42/43's at RA this year after Steve helps me out, right Steve??!!

Going to try and use some of the new ITS Miatas momentum to teach my pansy ass how to carry speed through the corners.

See you all at the ARRC.

Travers
ITS 19

JeffYoung
10-27-2006, 01:32 PM
Travers, good to see you posting. Race at VIR was a lot of fun, enjoyed that. Hope to see you out again this coming year, and I can't run with them Bimmers and Speedsource cars either.....

Ron Earp
10-27-2006, 01:34 PM
You need more R&D.......oh wait, the professionals don't think we can do that part, nevermind...

timo944
10-27-2006, 01:48 PM
What changes are those?? And, do you know how a 944S2 (ITR) car will fit into the PCA classing structure?
[/b]

They added a new class for 944's - called SP2. It's an attempt to stop the migration of 944 drivers to NASA's 944CUP. The 944 is a great handling car, but at 2844lbs. plus driver it's a pig. The SP2 reg's copy the NASA 944CUp regs which are:

- You can run an PCA I-class 944 at 2650 lbs incl. driver, or
- You can run an ITS 944 at 2800 lbs incl. driver.

The lower weight makes a huge difference to the handling of the car, it's do much eassier to drive. PCA I-class does not let you shave the head or change any electronics, and in my opinion that 150lb. sacrifice is worth making an ITS motored car. I have run my venerable 944 in ITS, 944CUP and I-class with the same set-up (i.e. legal for all race groups). In ITS I suffer, with 1:47's at Atlanta at 2650 lbs., but now with lower weight and a few changes I hope to get down towards 1:44's.

Plus - I don't have to make ANY changes to go from one sanctioning body to another...

About the S2 - I used to have a street car that was dynamite. It's a very strong car - great handling (if a little heavy), wads of torque, and fun to drive. I think it will do well in ITR but I don't have the $$$ to build one. In PCA it runs (normally) in F class (and does very well), btu I think you can also run in SP3. SP3 is essentially the same as SP2 but for turbo's and S2's.

slickS14
11-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Just Re-Posted my 1995 ITS Nissan 240sx racecar in the classifieds. Reduced price again and just about giving everything away. Terminal Illness forces us to sell everything, racecar, truck, enclosed trailer, streetcar, everything. I plan on bringing everything to Road Atlanta for the ARRC but will maybe only run the Enduro but could change. Come see me at the track or call me at the number on the classified. Good luck to everybody in the championship races. Thanks, Chris

JeffYoung
11-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Terminal illness??? what? Is everything ok?

slickS14
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Well I lost my father-in-law / crew person in May and about 4 weeks later my Dad / Crew Cheif was diagnosed with cancer and has been degrading every since. Five cycles of chemo were not succesful and as a matter of fact the tumor has enlarged during the last 4 months. He has spent most of October in Peidmont Hospital and MAYBE can come home next week. I really wanted to use the ARRC as a motivational date to get his spirits up and get him to the track one last time but it's not looking likely. I still plan on taking our stuff up to the track since we're local an dparking it for sale over the weekend and doing the Enduro on Sunday with David Spillman co-driving again. Other than that we'd still be hammering it out with ya'll and would have been at the SIC....Anyways, sorry to dump but thanks for asking Jeff, didn't mean to have left it so open ended. Anyone interested in the race equipment please call or come by.

rob22
11-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Chris - Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. My friend, Randy finishes up the Panoz school today, and we will see how he feels about racin' after this intense school. If he feels like wheel to wheel racing is for him I'll pitch your excellent car to him. Randy called last night and said that "he has a whole lot of respect for what race car drivers do, now." He also stated "race car drivin' is hard, especially that heel n toe thing."

"Bosco" Logsdon

JeffYoung
11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
chris, I am sorry to hear that. I hope it all goes as best as it can. Take care; hope I see you soon.

lateapex911
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
yea Chris, that comment was a gut grabber. Sorry to hear about the situation. I've enjoyed watching the car run from time to time. Hope things go as well as can be expected.

slickS14
11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, I really appreciate the support from you guys...It really is a testiment to the "family" side of this club and competitors. I just can't wait until this year is over...Hopefully '07 will be brighter. Thanks again and good luck, Chris

tbtapper
11-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Chris, I'm sorry to hear you're leaving the class. Sounds like there are much higher priority matters that need attention and for that I wish you strength and fortitude.

Rarely was I able to stick with you for more than a lap or two but enjoyed the challenge.

God Speed

Travers
ITS 19

Green Flag Inc
11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Chris, all my thoughts and prayers to you and your family. To this day that duel we had 2 years ago in a SARRC race at RA is one of my favorite racing memories. Hope to see you at the track again some day.