PDA

View Full Version : Number Requirements for 2007

FastM3
10-25-2006, 04:18 PM
OK... Just got this from another thread

And, Marianne IS NOT DOING NARRC NUMBERS this year. Yes, she is still doing numbers for nationals, but not for NARRC/NERRC. So don't send us your number requests, please. And since someone else is doing it, I'll bet the rules will change, too.

Marianne was very nice to deal with in the past. :)

THANKS MARIANNE :023:

What will the process be for requesting numbers for next season. :unsure:

ANYONE??????????

Marianne
10-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Everyone,

Yes I have passed the task on to Kristin Sheppard - so be nice or Jeremy will retaliate! She should be sending out a group e-mail soon. Remember unless she hears otherwise the race groups are the same.
I have her e-mail address but would prefer not to post it. Pester Jeremy and maybe he will.
I enjoyed doing this and am already having withdrawl pains. Just think _ i won't get 50 e-mails a day asking for numbers!
Marianne

Ed Funk
10-26-2006, 11:35 AM
:birra: Thanks Marianne for your years of doing this. If the withdrawal gets to be too bad, maybe you could apply for the job of IT Forum referee! B)

BobsAuto
10-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Marianne, You did a remarkable job for MANY years. You are a fixture. Hope you continue throwing those multiple flags for victory laps that I saw in the past. My thanks to you for the help way back when when I pestered you.

DaveITB1
10-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Marianne,

Thank you for your unwavering dedication to the club.
Best of luck doing the nationals' numbers.

Team Jagermeister
Dave Austin & Bob Smart

Greg Amy
10-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Congratulations for escaping, Marianne! I know the hell you (and Dave!) went through, and we all appreciate it. - Greg

RSTPerformance
10-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Marianne-

The "Blethens" have always been a pain in the @$$, :birra: to hoping that jeremy doesn't kick my @$$ for giving Kristin the same trouble!!!

For real though, thanks for all the hard work;

Raymond Blethen

JLawton
10-27-2006, 06:01 AM
I agree with the rest of them. It's always been a pleasure working with you!!

lateapex911
10-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Yup....hats off to you M! Always friendly, and you bet over backwards for us. Thanks!

Marianne
10-30-2006, 12:10 PM
I am blushing!!!!!

7racing
10-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, here ya go. Number reservations will begin on November 1st.

You can send requests to [email protected].

As stated above, there might be some time before a final confirmation will occur, as we need to verify that the race groupings have not changed. Please send along name, class and/or classes and car number requested (with 2 backup numbers in case there are duplicate requests).

Kristen

lateapex911
10-30-2006, 07:52 PM
You know, that picture in the avatar was never a great resemblence to jeremy....but it's REALLY not you...;)

gran racing
10-31-2006, 08:05 AM
Marianne, as others have said, you have been awesome and what you've done is appreciated!

For number reservations, will there still be priority given to people who are renewing their numbers within that class versus new requests? (I realize the grouping may impact that, but assuming that isn't the case.)

RKramden
11-01-2006, 06:33 AM
For number reservations, will there still be priority given to people who are renewing their numbers within that class versus new requests? (I realize the grouping may impact that, but assuming that isn't the case.)
[/b]Well, the first "rule" is that there are no rules other than what K.S. sets as those she wants to follow. There is nothing written in the GCR, or in any other guide about prefered numbers. They are totally unofficial, and the registrar for a race does not need to use them if they so choose.

With that in mind, here is what Marianne and I came up with and still use for national numbers: Preference for renewing numbers from November to the first of the year, after that, any number not yet taken is open to all.
A competition license or even membership in SCCA is not required. (Some regions require that you be a member of their region along with charging a fee.)
You can ask for any amount of numbers (e.g. you can request the number 13 in all classes if you want to try.) (This is for folks like Andy or Shawn Morrison who prep/run fleets of (rental) cars.)
The Number Czar can tell you to get lost if your request is unreasonable or you give him/her a hard time or for any other reason they choose.
The list closes on the Ides of March, as the list has to go out to registrars for early races, and updates are not done because it causes too many problems and pissed off people to have multiple versions of the list being used by different registrars. If you ask for a number after March 15th, you don't get it this year, but you do get prefrence next year.
We don't send out post cards or other confirmations except by e-mail, but then again, we were probably the only number list in the country to not charge for numbers. :023: (I really hate the nickel and diming of drivers. If you fill up a vehicle log book, I think you should get the next one for FREE.)
In the dozen or so years we have done National or NARRC numbers, we only have ever told two or three drivers to get lost. One of them complained to the Executive Steward of the division. They were VERY nice to Marianne after that. :D

Hopefully, K.S. will publish what she wants to use at some point. The choice is all hers and you WILL like it. :o

gran racing
11-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Dave,
The rules you used made sense, but it does seem odd there's nothing established for regions to abide by.

Regions charge for number reservations? Wow. Oh, and thanks for using the number 13 in your example of where someone could reserve it across multiple classes. <_< LOL

MMiskoe
12-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Has anyone gotten a response from Kristen or Marianne?

I&#39;d like to confirm that they got my request w/o bugging them. If everyone else got a confirmation I&#39;ll know I&#39;m in trouble, but if no one else did, I&#39;ll guess they&#39;re getting it sorted out & leave them alone until they do.

Hope no one found lumps of coal in the socks this morning.

Thanks
Matt

Andy Bettencourt
12-25-2006, 10:58 PM
I haven&#39;t received an &#39;answer&#39; yet but I did get a follow up e-mail with a request for some more information (I do it for all of FOM so we have 8 reservations). She has the info and I am sure will be digging out after the Holidays.

JLawton
12-26-2006, 06:53 AM
I received a confirmation e-mail. Wouldn&#39;t hurt to follow up.

Doc Bro
12-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Could you provide Kristens email. I had no idea there was even a call out for number requests. I&#39;d like to reserve my number asap.

R

Andy Bettencourt
12-26-2006, 09:53 AM
ksheppardmsw AT yahoo.com

kevin22
12-26-2006, 09:11 PM
I emailed her several weeks ago and still haven&#39;t recieved a reply. Has anyone else heard from her?

ner88
12-30-2006, 10:33 AM
If I understand correctly, numbers can&#39;t be issued until run groups are approved, which is after the annual meeting.

7racing
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
I heard from her! ;)

Still waiting for the final race groupings. Will check on that this week, though. Everyone should&#39;ve received an email back acknowledging the request and that the final confirmation would be after she receives the final NARRC groups.

I know some email addresses bounced back and there was some confusion, but at this point, everything should be caught up. Should get confirmations back soon.

Jeremy

:birra:

anthony1k
02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Anything new on this? I&#39;ve sent an email to Kristen but yet to receive a reply.

Tkczecheredflag
02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Let me come out of the cave.

I spoke with Kristen just after the Annual Meeting. The house was sick with the flu -sounded like she was trying to keep several balls in the air at once. Said she was working on it - hang in there.

I&#39;m delighted to report the TEG is back in one "pretty" piece. Joe and Eric will be happy to know that their signature bumper has been retired - now I just have to learn to drive this lady - any thoughts?

Andy Bettencourt
02-15-2007, 08:58 AM
sounded like she was trying to keep several balls in the air at once.[/b]

Poor Jeremy! :P

I&#39;m delighted to report the TEG is back in one "pretty" piece. Joe and Eric will be happy to know that their signature bumper has been retired - now I just have to learn to drive this lady - any thoughts? [/b]

Test days are your friends. It will be nice to get you where you belong - at the front!

almracing
02-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Tim,

I would suggest running only COMSCC events. Then there will be one less ITA "TEG" for a lone CRX to chase.

:P

BTW - 14" of fluffy white snow! Too bad it is blowing about 30mph today.

7racing
02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
[quote]
Poor Jeremy! :P

If you only knew...... :P

Yes, Kristen is hard at work with the number requests. It took at bit for her to finally get a confirmed race group list from NARRC. But that is resovled and you should hear something back within the next week.

Jeremy

Andy Bettencourt
02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Can you post the race groupings?

7racing
02-16-2007, 03:19 PM
If I had them, I would. I&#39;ll try to remember to check that this weekend and post it.

anthony1k
02-27-2007, 06:26 AM
This is starting to feel like :dead_horse: .
I&#39;m having no luck contacting Kristen. Emails to her are bouncing back. Can anyone shed some light?
Thanks...

dickita15
02-27-2007, 07:41 AM
I received my conformation last week. I have heard this has been pretty unpleasant for her. some people have been not nice.

kevin22
02-27-2007, 07:44 AM
I wonder the same thing.
This is one of those jobs that I would gladly handle.

Greg Amy
02-27-2007, 08:46 AM
I have heard this has been pretty unpleasant for her. some people have been not nice.[/b]
As you may recall, Marianne Lyons (and Dave!) used to handle permanent numbers. I had a conversation on this with them at our annual convention a couple of years ago.

Marianne had expressed to me what I had considered excessive and surprising gratitude for my being flexible on permanent numbers for my two cars. So, I asked her why. What I got was an earful of how much of an a**h*le many of you bastards can really be. Rudeness, threats, screaming; all this over number conflicts! This is TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY out of line, even if the person were being paid - and they&#39;re most decisively not.

Face it: there&#39;s going to be number conflicts! The chances of your choice number being unique from a pool of 110 numbers, in a group of potentially 75+ requests is pretty damn small. It&#39;s a FREAKIN IDENTIFICATION NUMBER, fer krist&#39;s sake! NONE of you b*****ds are making millions product marketing your car number on t-shirts and window decals, so it&#39;s nothing more than two digits used for timing and scoring to know who you are. If you&#39;re so insecure as to feel like using something other than your "lucky number" is a near-death experience, or are so pained that to spend $20 or so to replace vinyl is that much of a burden and you&#39;re going to give people grief over it, then frankly I don&#39;t want you on the race track with me.

Get a grip, kids, and grow up. Treat these people with at least the respect that any normal human being deserves, topped off with increased respect for voluntarily taking care of this task, and you might find you&#39;ll get a lot more cooperation towards your desires.

Rant off.

JohnRW
02-27-2007, 09:41 AM
What I got was an earful of how much of an a**h*le many of you bastards can really be. Rudeness, threats, screaming; all this over number conflicts! If you&#39;re so insecure as to feel like using something other than your "lucky number" is a near-death experience, or are so pained that to spend $20 or so to replace vinyl is that much of a burden and you&#39;re going to give people grief over it, then frankly I don&#39;t want you on the race track with me.[/b]

Amen and howdy, boy. Good rant.

Witnessed "numbers tantrums" myownsef. Working Friday night at Registration...somebody shows up and wants to know why they "...didn&#39;t get their number ?". "Well listen, Sport...you&#39;re at a track with different race groupings...and you DIDN&#39;T EVER BOTHER TO REGISTER UNTIL 5 DAYS AGO, so don&#39;t get all pissy at me about it...and DON&#39;T EVER START ABOUT NOT GETTING A GARAGE RENTAL !!!!". I&#39;ll just stand there and pray that they blow a motor getting the car off the trailer. Self-absorbed idiots.

anthony1k
02-27-2007, 10:37 AM
I don&#39;t think that anyone on this forum would condone rudeness. I&#39;m having trouble reaching Kristen. Her email ([email protected]) does not work for me. Any ideas how to contact her? Thanks...

lateapex911
02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
My response from her is:

[email protected]

Might want to put something in the subject lline. maybe it&#39;s getting stuck in a spam folder?

As an alternate, if it really becomes and issue, PM Jeremy (sorry Jeremy, LOL) on this site with the request and he can copy and paste it to her. I&#39;m sure it&#39;s just an electronic screw up!

Marianne
02-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Okay gentlemen,

See Kristen is/was using yahoo and yahoo decided that she must be a spammer becuase she had sent soooo many e-mails. Shut her right down! So it might be that some of you are still caught in that loop. I couldn&#39;t send her e-mail but her sister could. Now figure that out!

Someone mentioned they would do this - be careful what you say. It is not as easy as it first appears. For each request you get you need to check the list and see if it is held for someone from last year. Oh and since the race groups are now different you need to check who should get a number that was owned by 2 different drivers last year. ANd of course you have special requests for consecutive numbers not starting with 5(multiple car teams). So you send a reply back saying you have your number and what it is. Now you do this for 500 drivers who usually send them in on the same week and well you get behind. Not to mention you are working full time and taking care of two kids (Stephen and Jeremy - sorry Jermey!) Reality is it takes about 2 1/2 hours to answer 15 to 20 e-mails. It is a slow process - and you look at your in box and it just keeps growing and growing...

I know most of you are very polite but somedays it just is too much! Not a particular person but just the frustration of trying to work out the conflicts. And Greg is right - he did listen when I whined and was even nicer the next year - if that is possible.

Marianne - still doing NEDIV numbers.

7racing
02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
And here I am coming in to give you guys the scoop on what is going on. Guess I was a day late. Sorry Anthony, I just sent you a PM on the new email.

Well, NER and NARRC sites should be updated with the new email address: [email protected].

Thank you, Greg, for putting into words exactly what Kristen has been feeling. There are a few that are a total PITA! I&#39;ve taken the keyboard from her a few times to respond to people, and after toneing down the response, it gets resolved. Overall, most people are fine, it is 20% or so that are tough. Whoever said they would gladly do this job....you might get your wish, I already stopped her once from quitting this damn job. :D

And, as Marianne said, Yahoo determined that the 500-600 emails about Number Reservations must be spam. So they just shut down her account with no warning. We have been arguing with yahoo for the last several days, just to get some contacts, etc out of the email. This email was also used for her job, so now she is losing that information as well. It is just another PITA.

Anyway, the IT groups were done last week. As Dick mentioned, he got his number last week. So should have all IT drivers that requested it (not sure what happened to Anthony1K...send an email to her...we talked about this last week and as I mentioned, I don&#39;t think she received your initial request).

Anything else, or did I cover it all?

Jeremy

lateapex911
02-27-2007, 06:15 PM
. Overall, most people are fine, it is 20% or so that are tough. ...

Jeremy [/b]

Thats just wrong! If she gets 100 requests, thats 20 rude people? WAY too much! I say let her rip! I&#39;ve seen the tip of that iceburg, and once word gets out that you don&#39;t cross her, I bet everybody toes the line...;)

7racing
02-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Hello all (this is Kristen)...... Yes, I&#39;ve had some pain the the butts. But 90% of the drivers have been wonderfull. Unfortunately I don&#39;t have the time to e-mail back with all the thank you&#39;s.... I wish I had the time to just say your welcome. Jeremy has stopped me from quitting once and he has torn the keyboard from me when I&#39;ve started those "Dear Asshat" e-mails.

Yes, Yahoo shut me down. I&#39;m not happy about it. I&#39;m still fighting with them. But it doesn&#39;t look like that will be resolved. My e-mail address has been updated on ner.org and the NARRC website (that was the first thing I did).

Unfortuantely what that 10% doesn&#39;t understand is that on top of working full time, raising a child, having a somewhat of a life, and trying to keep Jeremy is line I only have a short time each evening to send out e-mails. And some nights I just feel like laying like a lump on the couch.

I am down to two race groups and I&#39;m half way through each of them. All e-mails will be out by the end of the weekend. I&#39;m working as fast as I can.

Thanks for everyone&#39;s patience..... Kristen

Tkczecheredflag
02-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Kristen - From where I sit you&#39;ve been great - Always responsive and as fair as possible. More than that no one could ask. Like most things, most of us will never know how much work you do/did to make our racing dreams a reality. You are one of the people who make being part of this club a great privilige. Many thanks to all the volunteers in NER.

Thank you for everything Kristen! :happy204:

lateapex911
02-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Hello all (this is Kristen)......
Unfortuantely what that 10% doesn&#39;t understand is that on top of working full time, raising a child, having a somewhat of a life, and trying to keep Jeremy in line I only have a short time each evening to send out e-mails. And some nights I just feel like laying like a lump on the couch.

I . Kristen [/b]

Geeez, Kristen, if we knew you were responsible for keeping HIM in line, we would never have let you take on the numbers job! Way too much for one person.. ;)

(Thanks for my #, I got it a few weeks ago!)

almracing
02-28-2007, 05:09 PM
What&#39;s worse than being in a thankless job?

Being in a thankless volunteer position.

Thanks Kristen!

RKramden
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
If I understand correctly, numbers can&#39;t be issued until run groups are approved, which is after the annual meeting.
[/b]

Actually, not true. There are no written rules.

The whole idea was to be nicer to the drivers so they wouldn&#39;t have to keep changing numbers at each race because each region running at Lime Rock was using different class groups.

Three or four years ago, we started pushing for the NARRC committee to have consistent classes at Lime Rock, where it has always been a problem with drivers complaining about inconsistent class groups and having to change numbers all the time. ITA15 Dick added in his weight and it just seemed to happen. Laurie Sheppard came up with a set of classes that were really close to allowing everyone who showed up to run, but some regions said the heck with that, we are going to swap around the classes like WE want them in any case.

So, getting the NARRC committee involved was based on trying to make it better for the drivers, but being that the NARRC committee cannot seem to agree on anything or have the members following their own rules, it may not have been the best direction.

Prior to that, Marianne and I simply picked the groups. (For the math inclined, we made overlayed Venn diagrams for each NARRC race showing the groups for that race and used the groups that popped out at us as the most common groupings. We still do this for the Nationals.)

Hopefully, for the next year, the NARRC committee will get off their fat A$$es and have the classes done in November, so Kristen can have 4 months to get this done rather than just a month or so. Or, failing that, Kristen will just pick the groups she likes and use them. Three extra months to get this done really helps.

Only two drivers have ever been so obnoxious as to make it to the e-mail kill file (e.g. forget EVER having a reserved number) but just an aggressive, nasty, or stupid driver can make the day suck. (Things like providing three choices: 13, 13, and 13 may be cute to you, but it is obnoxious when it is the fourth time today.)

It is OK to like Sausage, just don&#39;t ask to watch it being made.

disquek
03-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Huge props to you Kristen!

I thought the process worked wonderfully.

-Kyle

anthony1k
03-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Confirmation received :happy204:
Thank you Kristen!

kevin22
03-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Is anyone else still waiting?, I don&#39;t want to send her an email , But I also don&#39;t want my number given away if my request gets lost

kevin
SM/ SSM 22

Andy Bettencourt
03-11-2007, 07:58 AM
Kev,

We have received all of our SM requests - and I think they were done as a batch...I would drop her a line.

7racing
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Is anyone else still waiting?, I don&#39;t want to send her an email , But I also don&#39;t want my number given away if my request gets lost
kevin
SM/ SSM 22
[/b]

Don&#39;t know if you got your info or not on this, Kevin, but if you are still waiting, send Kristen an email.

As far as I know, the SM/SSM was the last group done and they were completed sometime within the last week or so.

Jeremy

kevin22
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM
I did send an email, No response still.

7racing
03-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I did send an email, No response still.
[/b]

"From: Kevin
Date: Mar 12, 2007 10:09 PM
Subject: number
To: ksheppard

I am still waiting for my number confirmation

Kevin Anderson

SM 22

SSM 22"

Maybe the system time is off, but this email came in at 10:09pm (you know, after Kristen shutoff her computer for the night), and you posted at 8:14pm that you had already emailed and no response?

She did email you twice before, but the emails bounced. That was from the yahoo acct that got cancelled. But, we understand you wouldn&#39;t have known that.

No please or thankyou? :P

You should get a confirmation within a couple of days.

kevin22
03-13-2007, 04:10 PM
apperently I was sending to another email (yahoo), I had contacted Marianne Lyons and she responded, and gave me that email.

So I sent another.

and that is the email you are posting

I know her job is a thankless job but without any responses, I feel like my emails are a waste, I had to check my records as well.

I originally sent my first request on 11/26/06

I sent from what I can tell 3 other emails to K. Sheppard and 2 to M. lyons asking her.
Thats 5 emails and several post on here, and If I wasn&#39;t so persistant I may not have recieved my number, since It seems I am the last to get it.

I appreciate all who volunteer, but It is frustrating not to get a response. Please understand both sides. THat is why my last email was so short, I felt no one was reading them anyway, I didn&#39;t want to waste to much time writing it.

Kevin