PDA

View Full Version : more interior questions....

m glassburner
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
The question is about door seals....in order to remove the interior panels and such, my door seals (which)
help fasten these to the car...would these(door seals) be legal for removal? based on the "all interior trim panels"," and their insulating,attaching or operating mechanisms may be removed" no flames please ...it's an honest question....any tech guys would be a great help...mdg omni #19 :024:

gran racing
10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
You're talking about the weather stripping "seals", right? If so, out they go!

JoshS
10-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Dave, what rule allows their removal?

JamesB
10-24-2006, 12:31 PM
For the car in question if your allowed to remove the door panels and replace them with .060 aluminum skin then if the panel goes so does the seal that attaches to it right?

m glassburner
10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
ok...the panels surrounding the( doors )panels...they are the ones I'm talking about B) I've already learned my lesson about the door panels :018: and yes,the door weather stripping. mdg #19 omni

gran racing
10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Josh, the part I was referencing was the plastic/rubber piece that outlines the door (on the car, not the door). Maybe not explaining it right.

JoshS
10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Josh, the part I was referencing was the plastic/rubber piece that outlines the door (on the car, not the door). Maybe not explaining it right.
[/b]

Right, I understand. There's rubber on the body around the door opening. What rule allows that to be removed?

I find it troubling that people recommend things like, "go ahead, remove it" without citing rules that make it legal. I cannot find anything that makes this legal.

I'm building my first IT car as we speak. I've been reading the rules daily, as I try to figure out what I can and cannot do. I have determined that those seals cannot be removed, so I have left them in. I'm wondering where I've gone wrong.

lateapex911
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I think you are right josh. I got nicked at tech once for two little seals (1 ft long each) that are at the corner of my engine compartment that seal to the hood of an RX-7. I had removed mine when I painted the car, and forgot to put them back on. Tech guy wrote it down, and told me next time wouldn't be a warning. "Aero advantage, you know" he said. Yup...those RX-7s do leave everyone in the dust on high speed tracks, LOL. As soon as i got home I scrounged around and had them in in 20 seconds.

I haven't found anything in the book that would allow door seals to be removed, and i doubt I would anyway. The car rattles like a bucket of bolts as it is!

JamesB
10-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Oh I have door seals. they are worthless. (swapped the good seals witht he rotted out seals on a street car.) but i still have door seals.

Jake - wouldnt removing the engine bay seals fall under "engine compartment cosmetic trim pieces may be removed?

gran racing
10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
I find it troubling that people recommend things like, "go ahead, remove it" without citing rules that make it legal. [/b]

When it comes down to it, it is up to each competitor to ensure their car is legal according to the rules. What is said here as advice is cool and all, but the GCR and the tech in Topeka is what really matters. When I made my call (before Jeremey), I was told that "his interperation" was it is legal to remove this part. (The piece that is attached to the car and carpeting, which later goes up towards the roof - not the rubber around the door itself.) I can&#39;t remember if the piece that I&#39;m talking about falls under ITCS pg 13 section 9 f or g. Again, this all assumes we&#39;re all talking about the same part. <_<

JoshS
10-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Perhaps you&#39;re right Dave and we&#39;re not talking about the same part. But I believe that the question was about "door seals," which I think we can all agree are the pieces that keep the rain out of the interior.

I believe you can remove interior cosmetic plastic trim pieces. But (and this is my interpretation, not specifically what the book says) if removing one of those pieces would then allow rain to enter the car, then it probably wasn&#39;t an interior trim panel and shouldn&#39;t have been removed.

Now, the fact that we might not have windows and the interior would get wet anyway is the topic for another conversation :-) At least the rain won&#39;t be coming in through the illegally-removed door seals!

joeg
10-24-2006, 04:19 PM
I would vote--"Go Ahead and Remove". Why? They are certainly "interior" because they do not show up on the "exterior". On my car, the bottom of them is captured in a sill plate and the sill carpeting. Trim, carpets can go; likewise the seal that is sandwiched within them--at the very least the bottom part.

Now I would not and do not remove such weatherstrip seals. I have an open trailer and tow often in the rain. I like the car&#39;s interior to stay relatively dry. They work well for such purposes (along with tight fitting towing "windows", even though with their stock method of attachment (carpet and sill trim) are long gone. Your doors may also rattle and appear partially open--possibly drawing a meatball black flag?

I also like to preserve as much of my "gutted" doors as possible (including the top half of the interior door trim panel) for the same reason. It keeps the water out when towing. Such also is safer as ther is less bare metal exposed to your $$ Driving suit.

Have fun, but I think it&#39;s your choice.

gran racing
10-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Josh,
I answered this question too quickly; normally I don&#39;t do that. I too hate when people say "go ahead - remove it". Hmmm. :lol:

I was in the process of taking apart my next Prelude racecar (dumbass, buy a car!) when I saw this post and of course had the answer altough it went across what I&#39;ve written when semi-sane. Doh!