PDA

View Full Version : PLN at LRP?

erlrich
10-23-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey guys,

Tuned into Wind Tunnel last night and just caught the end of a soundbite about Paul Newman winning a race at LRP (at least I think he said LRP), with a photo of his Corvette wearing the number 81 (his age). I couldn't find anything more about it on any of the racing sites, or on Mylaps, and am starting to think I imagined the whole thing. Did anyone else see that? Any more details?

Thanks.

Greg Amy
10-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Paul Newman was at LRP this past weekend, racing the GT-1 Corvette at the SCCA NARRC Runoffs. He's a regular SCCA competitor there (mostly Nationals). He created quite a ruckus in post-race tech (many, many spectators crowding in to get a closer look) and he handled it graciously, as always, before kindly retreating to his mobile home.

Almost no one noticed his wife, Joanne Woodward, standing just outside the circle of spectators, beaming in pride and clapping her hands for his success. She stood there watching with a couple of friends next to her, and I must say she still looks absolutely fabulous!

GA

lateapex911
10-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Yea, last year I was on the tower watching the GT1 race and he was running. I've worked at the Newmans home before, so I recognized her, and sure enough there she was, running from one side of the tower to the other with the rest of us, saying "C'mon Paul...get him", as Paul went around (Jack Busch?) on the outside into Big Bend in the rain.

She was next to me and looked at me, shaking her head, and I said, "Nerve wracking stuff, isn't it?." And she said, "It's easier for you guys in the car, but for me, it's a love- hate relationship", laughing. They are clearly one of the best examples of how to live a life and give back to the community we've got in America, and it's pretty cool to see Paul setting records.

(He owns the record for the oldest win in a major pro auto race, from the Daytona 24hr event a few years back, when IIRC, he double stinted in the night clicking off one fast lap after another. He looks a bit frail getting in and out of the car, but jeez, he pushes the pedals pretty effectively!)

Andy Bettencourt
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.the16v.com/SCCA/06/narrc/images/DSC_4197.jpg

Doug Koza photo from this past weekend. PLN winning GT-1.

erlrich
10-23-2006, 04:16 PM
That's amazing...

I'm just hoping I'll still be able to feed myself when I'm 81.

gran racing
10-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Paul has been an inspiration to many people to know that it's never to late in a person's life to race. I knew he did well for himself, but in the back of my mind wondered if it was largely because he has the funding to make it happen. O.k. So sure he's got a big budget, but he also drives the heck out of the car. At the race I was very curious to watch him drive, and need to give a huge thumbs up to him. Great stuff!!

88YB1
10-24-2006, 09:25 AM
I am one of those. In early 2003 at the age of 59 I attended my first race as a corner worker. Working turn six at Road Atlanta. During one race ( I was to later learn that it was A sedan) the corner captain pointed out a car and said that"s Paul Newman. On the next lap he pointed out the car's number and said it was Pauls age. I made the decision right then that if a 76 year old could still drive a 59 year old "youngster" could too. Not long after I started building my first ITA car. In a few weeks I will drive my first ARRC. Since the car and driver are both still in development I don't expect to win, but it will be loads of fun.

Chuck
ITA Pontiac Fiero #34

lateapex911
10-24-2006, 11:03 AM
There's more to Paul than meets the eye. I don't know if he still does this, but when I was at his house once, he walked in all sweaty and in workout clothes. I asked him what he had done, and he said he took a "little run"...I asked how little....."About 5 miles I guess", he responded, then walked to the fridge, cracked open two cans of Bud and handed me one as he guzzled half the other.

He was about 72 or so the I guess.

Next day, I cranked up my swimming, biking and running mileage, LOL. Hey...it seems to work for him.....

charrbq
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
It's true that he does have the bluest eyes in the kingdom. I saw him at the Runoffs many years ago when he drove for Bob Sharp. He came out of the motor home followed by a crowd of cameras (mine was one of them), drove to the grid, and, before he got in the car, took off his sun glasses and smiled. It was like some sort of super hero. His eyes radiated a bright blue that I've never seen before or since. The movies must tone them down.
One thing's for certain...the man can drive like a 20 yr old!

JamesB
10-24-2006, 11:34 AM
He reminds me of a departed racer and customer of a shop I used for all my work years ago. he was 74, and watching him walk to the car made you wonder how he raced. What always surprised me was after he shuffled over to his car, he slid right in and got ready to go like he was a kid. On the track you would think he was like the rest of us loose nuts even throwing his 911 sideways out of turn 10 at SP only to catch it and keep going.