PDA

View Full Version : Nov. FasTrack is up

Bill Miller
10-20-2006, 09:37 AM
http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/File/06-11-fastrack.pdf

Nothing of consequence (no IT content at all). Only notable items are that the expiration date of your belts will be recorded at you annual, and that you must now include min. weight stickers on your car.

Racerlinn
10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
and that you must now include min. weight stickers on your car.
[/b]

Now where did I put that pad of post-it-notes.......
:D

JamesB
10-20-2006, 09:50 AM
I guess the stickers would make it easier for tech during weight in. The belt expiration date confuses me a little since the current belts rules say they are good till 12/31 of the expiration year.

Greg Amy
10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
We're going to 12 month annuals (inspection good for 12 calendar months). This way the tech inspector can use the logbook to determine if you're in compliance.

Example: you got your annual in June, but belts expire this year. When you try to enter a race in January the tech inspector will be able to see that your belts expired and must be inspected before approval for competition...

GA

JamesB
10-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Greg thanks for that clarification. I must have glossed over the wording change to the annual tech rule. Im actually happy to see that change.

charrbq
10-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Boy...I can see all the comments posted on the side of cars next to weights. Some are going to be tough to find amongst all the paint schemes and advertising space.

Knestis
10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Signage guidelines suggest 1" of letter height per 10 feet of viewing distance as a minimum, to accommodate folks with diminished vision. Handy ex-graphic guy trivia...

K

EDIT - since we're dealing with tech inspectors, we may be more concerned with 'diminished mental capacity.' ;) Comments on spec weights are probably not required to meet the minimum size.

JamesB
10-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Makes me wonder how many drivers who havnt memorized their cars min weight are out there.

Greg Amy
10-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey, Knestis, better be careful...I'm watching you...

The weight thing is not a bad idea. If you've ever worked (or watched) post-race Tech weighing, it can be a fustercluck in mixed groups trying to figure out what car gets what weight (especially in Prod and GT, where the weight is based more on the engine than on the make/model.) So, Tech puts the responsibility on the competitor for advertising their legal weight (right where all their competitors can see it, too.) - GA

leggwork
10-20-2006, 01:37 PM
the last sentence in this paragraph is unclear to me without a picture. Are they just suggesting that you have a crossbar low down on your main hoop? Or a continuous rectangular shaped main hoop with the lower corners (with 3x radius) somehow attached to baseplates?

(on re-read, I see that this applies to Production cars, not IT, but I'm still curious what they mean)
thanks,
bruce

C. Fabrication - Open and Closed Automobiles
The main hoop shall be one continuous length of tubing with smooth continuous
bends and no evidence of crimping or wall failure. The minimum radius for all bends shall be
three (3) times the tube diameter measured from the tube centerline. Whenever possible, the
roll hoops should start from the floor of the automobile, and, in the case of tube frame
construction, be attached to the tubes by means of gussets or metal webs in order to
distribute the loads. On automobiles of frameless or uni-body construction, consideration
should be given to using a vertical roll hoop of 360 degrees completely around the inside of
the automobile and attached with suitable mounting plates.

JamesB
10-20-2006, 01:43 PM
18.6 is production roll cages.

Gary L
10-20-2006, 03:44 PM
I'm a little surprised that some of the sharp-eyed regulars here didn't catch the obvious hiccup in the last sentence of the "Minimum Weight Decals" paragraph. I'm sure we would all agree on what it was supposed to mean, but what it actually says is something entirely different. As I understand the 3rd sentence, you will be disqualified from the event for displaying a weight that is less than that called out as the specified minimum. :unsure:

"If the displayed number should be found at any time to be lower than the current minimum weight, the competitor will at a minimum be disqualified from the event automatically."

On edit: Never mind!!!! I've read it back to myself again, and it makes perfect sense. I'm not having a good day here!

m glassburner
10-21-2006, 12:00 AM
When is this weight sticker going into effect ?

trd771
10-21-2006, 11:24 AM
If I understand the belt rule now, the date is for the calender year. Meaning, January '07-January '09. So for the people in the cold weather states who might not race until May, we really only get a year and a half for belts, rather than making it two years form tech.

charrbq
10-21-2006, 11:52 AM
When is this weight sticker going into effect ?
[/b]
Pending board approval...1/1/07

Eagle7
10-21-2006, 12:51 PM
If I understand the belt rule now, the date is for the calender year. Meaning, January '07-January '09. So for the people in the cold weather states who might not race until May, we really only get a year and a half for belts, rather than making it two years form tech.
[/b]
"Restraint systems meeting SFI 16.1 shall bear a dated ‘SFI
Spec 16.1’ label. The certification indicated by this label
shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd year after the date
of manufacture as indicated by the label."

If you buy a harness manufactured any time in '07, it expires 12/31/09. You can get three seasons out of it.

charrbq
10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
If you buy a harness manufactured any time in '07, it expires 12/31/09. You can get three seasons out of it.
[/quote]
I might be wrong, but that's not how I read it. The date on my seatbelts includes the month of manufacture and the year. My understanding from tech is that a belt bought anytime during '07 expires on 12/31/08...two years by their take.

Eagle7
10-21-2006, 10:21 PM
Seems clear to me. I think your tech contacts are wrong. If it's manufactured in '07, then '08 is the first year after. The second year after is '09.

erlrich
10-21-2006, 11:27 PM
What Marty said.

Greg Amy
10-22-2006, 06:56 AM
If you buy a harness manufactured any time in '07, it expires 12/31/09. You can get three seasons out of it.[/b]

This is correct.

Stan
10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
My understanding from tech is that a belt bought anytime during '07 expires on 12/31/08...two years by their take.[/b]
The techie who told you this is wrong, Chris. The correct date for your scenario is 31 Dec 09. 2007 is the year of purchase. 2008 is the first year after purchase. 2009 is the second year after purchace. Ipso facto, the belts are good to the end of 2009.

Stan

x-ring
10-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Deleted.

RacerBowie
10-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Pardon me, Dr. K.

The lure of a high paying job, while I was in grad school, was too great. It allowed me to aviod bankruptcy.

People do volunteer work for different reasons, sometimes nobel and sometimes not. It has nothing to do with diminished (or enhanced) mental capacity.

I'd rather drive every single event, but I feel like I need to give something back, instead of just taking.

One final thing: The NA of Tech, Bill Pichardo, is a member of your elite club.

:mad1:
[/b]

Take a deep breath there toughguy. Did you miss the little wink-guy there beside it? Maybe you missed the fact that K was taking a bit of a tongue in cheek potshot at one of his co-drivers, who is also a tech steward? (that one is a lot easier to miss)

Enhance your calm.

m glassburner
10-23-2006, 09:05 AM
breathe out...breathe in,,,re-read :rolleyes:

Knestis
10-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Sorry there, Ty.

I've spent a lot of weekends over the past two decades doing darn near ever job that gets done at an SCCA event - including tech at tracks that didn't even have "sheds" - and have nothing but respect for our volunteers.

K

1stGenBoy
10-23-2006, 09:41 AM
[quote]
I'm a little surprised that some of the sharp-eyed regulars here didn't catch the obvious hiccup in the last sentence of the "Minimum Weight Decals" paragraph. I'm sure we would all agree on what it was supposed to mean, but what it actually says is something entirely different. As I understand the 3rd sentence, you will be disqualified from the event for displaying a weight that is less than that called out as the specified minimum. :unsure:

"If the displayed number should be found at any time to be lower than the current minimum weight, the competitor will at a minimum be disqualified from the event automatically."

Right up until the guy I'm racing with rubs his tire in my door or body where my weight sticker is and rubs part of it off with his tire. Non compliance: you are DQ'ed. That's how I read it.

x-ring
10-23-2006, 10:06 AM
Sorry there, Ty.

I've spent a lot of weekends over the past two decades doing darn near ever job that gets done at an SCCA event - including tech at tracks that didn't even have "sheds" - and have nothing but respect for our volunteers.

K
[/b]

Sorry I went off on you. Post deleted and PM on the way.

Z3_GoCar
10-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Makes me wonder how many drivers who havnt memorized their cars min weight are out there.
[/b]

ITE -- No minimum weight

ITR -- 2800lbs.

How's that :P

James

jhooten
10-23-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm going to the print shop to order my "minimum weight NA" stickers ASAP.

jjjanos
10-24-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm a little surprised that some of the sharp-eyed regulars here didn't catch the obvious hiccup in the last sentence of the "Minimum Weight Decals" paragraph. I'm sure we would all agree on what it was supposed to mean, but what it actually says is something entirely different. As I understand the 3rd sentence, you will be disqualified from the event for displaying a weight that is less than that called out as the specified minimum.

"If the displayed number should be found at any time to be lower than the current minimum weight, the competitor will at a minimum be disqualified from the event automatically." [/b]

Yes, that is what it says. It is even worse than that... My definition of any would mean that if your decal isn't correct from the moment you get your tech sticker until impound ends, the automatic penalty is a DQ.

lateapex911
10-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Yeah, but guys, the idea is to make sure the weight is correct, and thats fine. If you're worried about it getting rubbed off, then getting DQ'ed (and the tech guy would have to be a complete A** to do that the first time around), then be smart....stick it to the inside of the rear side window or something.

I just don't think this is that big a deal.....

charrbq
10-24-2006, 11:16 AM
I'd be willing to bet this one gets a re-write. It's kinda like the ruling that came out a few years ago where the chief steward had to approve the mirrors on all cars. That one was dropped shortly after coming into print.

BMW RACER
10-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I say stick it the roof. By the time that gets rubbed off weight is the last of your problems :D

Is there a preffered place for this weight sticker? I think it would be good if they are all in the same place.

Greg Amy
10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
From experience: the side of the car around (or on) the rear quarter glass is good. Plainly visible to the guy reading the scales, and far enough up so it's not obscured by the table the readout is sitting on...

x-ring
10-25-2006, 07:34 AM
The idea for this, I suspect, came from the runoffs tech stickers. They have a place to write in the weight, displacement and maybe track. The runoffs supps state they must be on the doors (or the engine cover of an open wheel car) and most guys put them up near the mirror. I've never seen one get rubbed there.

BTW, this will be a big time saver for the good folks running the scale. Not so much for IT or open wheel cars, but prod and GT car weights are harder for the guys and gals behind the scale table to figure out.

Eagle7
10-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Is this sticker just a number, or is there some other identifying info as well?

dickita15
10-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Is this sticker just a number, or is there some other identifying info as well?
[/b]
I figure mine will say “unattainable minimum weight 2280”

CaptainWho
10-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I figure mine will say “unattainable minimum weight 2280”
[/b]

I'm on board with that! Without a ground up rebuild and the drivers cutting off all their extremities there's no way we're getting to our minimum weight. :D