PDA

View Full Version : IT limits on weight reduction

keycom
10-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Can weight reductions be made to the hood of an IT car, specifically an ITB 84 VW GTI? I believe the minimum weight is 2180, but at nearly 300#'s myself, I need to find as much weight to remove as possible.
Can I remove fender liners?
I don't see these things mentioned in the GCR.

I've got a couple of years to go yet before she'll be ready, just didn't want to do something now that I can't undo later.

Thanks.
http://www.gotcone.com/files/private/active/0/13678_large.jpg
Yes, I know I gotta put back the bumpers! :(

Greg Amy
10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Fender liners, yes; hood mods, no.

dickita15
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
greg is right you can take out the fender liners. the important thing when reading the it rules is If it does not say you can that you can not. read every sentence and think about what it allows you to do. then if you think a sentence says you can do something but you are not sure this board is a good place to get opinions.

lateapex911
10-17-2006, 06:31 PM
And if you see somebody post a comment with "IIDSYCYC" or something similar, it basically means "If it doesn't say you CAN, you CAN'T"

I am 6'3", and was 223 or so this summer, and have been trying to lose my unwanted drivers side extra ballast. So far I'm down 30, and the corner weights will be better for it. If an exercise program is a possibility, consider it seriously, as it will pay dividends in the car in many ways. Every little bit helps.

Greg Amy
10-17-2006, 06:45 PM
So far I'm down 30...[/b]
Dude, is there anything left to you...? ;)

lateapex911
10-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Dude, is there anything left to you...? ;)
[/b]

Uh...yea...sadly I am 15 or so over the spec weight for the driver. But at 6'3", what are you gonna do? ;)

BMW RACER
10-17-2006, 08:33 PM
(So far I'm down 30)

Now that's a serious racer! You'd rather diet than spend thousands of dollars on carbon fiber widgets!

Good going.

Bill Miller
10-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Acutally, the spec weight for an ITB Rabbit GTI is now 2080#. You can do some things, NASCAR bars in both doors so you can remove the glass, etc. Can be done where there's a net benefit in weight. Unfortunately, since the spec weights are set based on a 180# driver (who comes up w/ these numbers?), you're in a tough spot. You need to drop 100-125# yourself. Not to mention what it will do for you health.

keycom
10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guys!

Personal weight is the cheapest, but toughest weight to lose. I am down 40 from my peak weight. :rolleyes:

RSTPerformance
10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
And if you see somebody post a comment with "IIDSYCYC" or something similar, it basically means "If it doesn't say you CAN, you CAN'T"

I am 6'3", and was 223 or so this summer, and have been trying to lose my unwanted drivers side extra ballast. So far I'm down 30, and the corner weights will be better for it. If an exercise program is a possibility, consider it seriously, as it will pay dividends in the car in many ways. Every little bit helps.
[/b]

You pick up all the chicks huh....

Raymond "hadn't given you a hard time in a while" Blethen

As for the car, maybe some folks can post up the minimum weight they legaly got the car to without driver?

lateapex911
10-18-2006, 01:28 PM
You pick up all the chicks huh....

Raymond "hadn't given you a hard time in a while" Blethen

As for the car, maybe some folks can post up the minimum weight they legaly got the car to without driver?
[/b]

No...not all. just the juicy ones..... ;)

(Not sure where the "all the chicks" comment came from, but hey, I'll play along, LOL. Your ball.)

RSTPerformance
10-18-2006, 02:28 PM
well I know before you were a "stud" and got all the woman, but now with loosing another 30lbs, you must be fighting them off...

I got nothing other than that... lol See you this weekend?

lateapex911
10-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Depends...I was registered, but now I'm reading on how the site crashed, and mine was one of the lost ones....so...who knows. I have calls placed.

well I know before you were a "stud" and got all the woman, but now with loosing another 30lbs, you must be fighting them off...

I got nothing other than that... lol See you this weekend?
[/b]

You must have the wrong guy....nobody competes with the Blethen bros for studliness. Check your sources!

Now, back to the regularly scheduled thread. Sorry for the OT!

Bill Miller
10-19-2006, 05:48 AM
No...not all. just the juicy ones..... ;)

(Not sure where the "all the chicks" comment came from, but hey, I'll play along, LOL. Your ball.)
[/b]

Jake,

Does that mean that you're the muffin-top man?? :o :P :023: :smilie_pokal: