PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Chris Albin and Chuck Mathis

shwah
10-17-2006, 12:15 AM
The race conditions mimicked what they saw all week. Sometimes dry, sometimes rain.

Former ITA racer Chuck Mathis took home his first GP National Championship yesterday in his orange VW Rabbit. He really had his game on.

Current ironman ITB and GP racer Chris Albin had a great drive in the wet to 3rd in the same group in his yellow VW Golf. He made a valiant effort at 2nd, but in the end could not quite get around the Suzuki of Woody Deatheridge.

While I was happy to have a chance to crew for Mathis' team, it was a miserably cold and wet weekend, until the green dropped on Sunday afternoon. Funny how winning makes everything else better. I never knew how fun it could be to pull the head instead of starting an 8 hour drive home...

I also would like to say a big thanks to Gary Semerdjian and 247-Parts.com for hosting the VW racer's party on Friday night (those tri-tips were fabulous) and for the support he provided for Chris and Chuck's GP cars throughout the season (not to mention supporting Chris A's ITB car, as well as this Chris' ITB car). We are lucky to have a parts supplier that is such a racing and VW enthusiast. Thanks for sharing the fun!

Every time I drive home from the runoffs I start thinking about it...one of these years I expect to give in and take a shot at Production myself. Well maybe after this 2nd baby gets here in March :P

Also congrats to Mark Coffin for his top 10 finish in the wet GP affair (8th :023: )

I am sure that I missed some other IT guys, but these are the ones I know. Well done. :eclipsee_steering:

Bill Miller
10-17-2006, 07:43 AM
Nice thread Chris :023:

I am sure that I missed some other IT guys, but these are the ones I know. Well done. :eclipsee_steering:
[/b]

Yep, long time VW racer and former IT racer (who was also my instructor at driver's school) Don Barrack drove his ass off to a 3rd place finish in HP, against a pretty stacked deck. Also congrats to former ITC race Johanness Kraus in his HP Mk I Scirocco.

Knestis
10-17-2006, 10:46 AM
I'll add my props to Gary and 247-Parts.com - we use their A-arm and crossmember bushings and are very pleased with them.

Good job, all!

Kirk

Spinnetti
10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
Congrats guys..

I know when I first started racing (against him in IT/A), Chuck was a good competitor and helped with some minor parts when my o2 sensor broke out of my header during practice on race (early 90's) :)