PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances?

chumpy36
10-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Of getting the whistler and cam doctor from the runoffs for the arrc?

Is that stuff loaned out by nationals or anything? I think it would be great to have that stuff around...

Any ideas?

JAson

R2 Racing
10-16-2006, 01:33 PM
If it would prevent people from having to pull the head off of their car, I think that would be a good thing. Probably move tech along quicker, be easier to check at least the top three, and be a whole lot nicer for those guys who are also panning on running their car in the enduro the next day too.

Greg Amy
10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I'd love to see the device there... - GA

tom_sprecher
10-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Can anyone please elaborate on the two devices mentioned?

chumpy36
10-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Whistler...

http://www.katechengines.com/corporate_services/whistler.php

The Cam dr is a cam profiling machine.

Greg Amy
10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
I like Prof Kirk's explanation from another board.

The Whistler works on the same principle as when you blow across a pop bottle and make a tone. The less volume of liquid in the bottle (thus the more air) the deeper the sound. So, you put the engine at BDC and "whistle" across it to make a tone, and the frequency of the tone is measured; that measurement correlates to a specific air volume (well known by pipe organists the world 'round). Then you put the engine at TDC and whistle it again, getting another (higher) tone/volume. Once you know the BDC and TDC volume, a simple division calculation tells you the compression ratio... - GA

charrbq
10-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Interesting! I've never heard of a "Whistler" before that wasn't a radar detector. It would sure speed up impound, but I bet there would still be a need for engine teardown for some reason or another. We had the cam doctor years ago at the ARRC, but it cam attached to some tech guys from National that came down fresh from the Runoffs. Haven't seen it since. Still got to pull some engine parts down, though.