PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

Red240sx
10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey all,

I have just got into ITA racing with a 240sx. Last race weekend I overheated the car bad and I think I may have blown a head gasket or even warped the head (Hope not). I plan on removing the head this weekend , but have been unable to get a repair manual in time ( it's in the mail, ya right)

So here's my question, Can anyone run through the sequence on removing the head. Also th actual order of removing the head bolts, And torque specs for putting them back in. I am pretty new to this so any insight on the best way to tackle the project would greatly appreciated. :birra:

Cheers

Matt D.

Red 240sx # 94

slickS14
10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
If your manual didn't arrive yet try websites such as 240sx.org or freshalloy.com...I'm pretty sure there is a sticky note in the forums with the technical service manuals ready for download in adobe acrobat format. Your answer is there in those manuals. You could also hit your local auto store for a chiltons manual for about 15 bucks or make friends with a Nissan sevice person at a dealer who will print off the specific procedure for you. I don't remember right now all of the specifics of the 12 valve procedure. Good Luck, Chris

timelapseracing
10-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Ditto on the manual and tech info - Just a word of advice - throw away your old head bolts. R&R for the head isn't a bad job - get a piece of wood to wedge in to hold the cam chain from dropping into the pan, also make sure you know where the timing marks are when you pull the head.

Jason.

its66
10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Would that be the former Shouse/Carter ITA 240?

Red240sx
11-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Yes sir it is the former shouse/carter car . very well sorted . do you know it well?

joeg
11-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Removal is pretty much the sames for any inline piston engine.

1. Make certain the motor is absolutely stone cold (at ambient for more than 12 hours)

2. Untorque the head bolts (or nuts in the case of a studded motor) going around the outside ends of the head in an anto-clock wise cross-wise fashion. You want to end up loosening the center fasteners last.

3. Install torquing is the opposite of removal. Don't know the specs or if you have stretch (torque to yield) bolts that mandate you put a certain degree of rotation after reach in certain torque level.

Always tighten in sequence in stages.