PDA

View Full Version : Cool Roads

zracre
10-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Ok it is a little OT but I am going to Asheville NC this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of any nice roads for me to take my new/old M3 (E36) on in the area?

its66
10-12-2006, 03:35 PM
M3?? dammit man, how many toys have you got???

Harvey
10-12-2006, 05:05 PM
The best road around that area is US129, known as the Tail of the Dragon. 11 miles and 318 turns. If you want to check it out they have websites and check out Killboy.com. It starts in Deals Gap,NC and goes into Tenn.

charrbq
10-12-2006, 05:44 PM
M3?? dammit man, how many toys have you got???
[/b]
My thoughts, too! Have you moved from a house to a racing stable? I bet you have hell in the morning finding a car to match the set of keys you have in your hand!

dspillrat
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Several great roads within 30-45 miles of Asheville.....
My Favorite loop from years back to run late at night is Asheville down 74 towards Chimney Rock/Lake Lure, just before "Bat Cave" turn left on #9 towards Black mountain.... to 40 back to asheville.

My Favorite.
David Spillman

zracre
10-13-2006, 07:03 AM
awesome thanks!! I just got the M3 last monday...needed a street car saw it at a local lot...did not think I could ever afford a cool street car with all the money I spend racing...it was 5360 with tax! I have about 6500 in it now with the minor bits it needed...

seckerich
10-13-2006, 07:11 AM
awesome thanks!! I just got the M3 last monday...needed a street car saw it at a local lot...did not think I could ever afford a cool street car with all the money I spend racing...it was 5360 with tax! I have about 6500 in it now with the minor bits it needed...
[/b]
Hey Evan
Welcome to town!! If you want some fun without leaving Asheville just head up Town Mountain Road to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great drive and tons of sweeping corners. If you need a racecar fix while you are away just drop me a PM and come by the shop. Nothing but Evil Mazda's but we did make a few parts on your car. B)

charrbq
10-13-2006, 08:52 AM
I have a cool street car, but I drive my pickup almost all the time as the cool street car gets me in trouble with the boys in blue. That cuts into the racing budget way too much!

bldn10
10-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I just drove my Audi TT from Charlotte to Memphis via Asheville Wed. If I have time I get off I85 at King's Mountain and take 74 through Lake Lure/Chimney Rock to Asheville, scoot around Asheville on I40 to Clyde, then onto 19 by Lake Junaluska, Maggie Valley, and Cherokee. If I have lots of time and am feeling adventurous I will take 19 past Bryson City to 29, which leads to the Tail of the Dragon. That will take you way out of the way but The Dragon is a famous drive and quite a workout. If I don't want to do The Dragon I will take 441 up through Smoky Mountains National Park and Gatlinburg. You can take 321 back to I40 and down to Asheville. That would be a nice drive and not too out of the way. Take your camera - the trees are turning in the higher altitudes.