PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for place to get tow hooks and transpoder?

Spinnetti
10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm just getting back into IT after a few years off..

I'd like a nice aluminum touring car style tow hooks if possible (for AE86 Toyota)

RacerBill
10-11-2006, 09:29 AM
I had my tow hooks custom made by my cage builder in Columbus, OH. Real simple - welded a ring of round bar onto a substantial flat metal bar, welded that to the frame, one in front and one in back. Front protrudes from a stock opening in the air dam, and the rear comes out from under the rear bumper.

Transponder - look in the classified on this forum, ebay, or just do a goggle search on AMB transponders. I believe I got mine from Florida Region. Model is a toss-up. We had issues with hard-wired transponders in Indy cars in 1989 and went with rechargable - but were religious about recharging them. When it came time to get mine, I went hard wired and wired it into the output side of my master switch (don't have to remember to turn it on!). Mounted the unit on a bracket under the car, behind the front bumper (clear path down, and in a place where I can see to pilot light). I don't even think about it anymore.

JamesB
10-11-2006, 09:42 AM
tow hooks are many styles, some use old seat belts rivited, coated wire.

As for transponder mine is a hardwire mounted forward in my engine bay wired to my ignition. others have used rechargable but I have seen them forget theres which can be an issue if your forgetful like me.

Spinnetti
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info...

I'm looking for a fancy tow hook.. I like everything to look neat and pro; Looks like I need to keep lookin..

RacerBill
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
There are a bunch of race parts suppliers who have tow eyes now, just shop around (Pegasus, HRP come to mind, but there are more). They are all very pretty, but are usually made for a particular type of car. They might be made to fit your car, however. I know what you mean about appearance.

Good luck!

lateapex911
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Rennline makes some nice ones for Porsches, and one is pretty adaptable. Also, theres Turner and Bimmerworld, who make them for BMWs, and of course the full race versions are more generic, but still well finished.

JimLill
10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Pegasus is a source for both items, although many tow eyes need to be custom. Tow eye material might be open and also where you put it if you are using it to make weight/distro. I fab'd these myself and thought maybe there is a market.

http://www.vectorbd.com/users/jpl/vwpix/slides/vwtow.jpg

seckerich
10-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info...

I'm looking for a fancy tow hook.. I like everything to look neat and pro; Looks like I need to keep lookin..
[/b]
If you want custom aluminum pieces we can water jet you whatever you want. Just drop me a PM and a layout of what you need. I can send you a picture of the ones we did for the Daytona Prototypes. To go fast first you must look good doing it! :P

JimLill
10-11-2006, 05:13 PM
you can also get these for about $10 or so in various sizes. They'll adapt a small factory eye to be 2" legal.

http://a1072.g.akamai.net/f/1072/2062/1d/gallery.rei.com/media/471292Prd.jpg

planet6racing
10-13-2006, 12:46 PM
(1) 2" Muffler Clamp
(1) 3/16" thick X 2" wide X necessary length Steel Stock

Weld clamp onto steel, forming a 2" diameter half circle. Bend steel as needed to fit. Weld to chassis. Paint bright contrasting color so it is easily seen. DONE!

Sure, it's not the prettiest tow hook that I've ever seen, but for ~$10 for two of them, it is probably one of the cheapest!

Racerlinn
10-13-2006, 12:53 PM
I got mine off ebay.
If you have time to wait and look, there's deals to be had. I ended up getting some generic ones supposedly designed for a Honda. I adapted them to work with my car. After having played tug of war with a tow truck at MO (see avatar), I'm glad I got stout one's.