PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter & Pump Location

tom_sprecher
10-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Due to the previous location on my 1st gen RX7 of the fuel filter/pump (LR 1/4 panel) the fuel lines were severed and the car caught fire when I hit a wall at Road Atlanta. Besides staying away from any wall in the future, I would like to move the whole mess to within the frame rails in an efffort to prevent another incident like the last one. Any suggestions?

I thought of in front of the fuel cell (15 gal) but it puts the cell all the way back in the spare tire area and I afraid will increase the polar inertia making the car tail happy. Pushing the cell forward and locating it behind the fuel cell exposes it to rear end collisions.

What makes it rougher is both the pump and the filter are pretty good sized (like a Holley or Carter and a Fram unit, respectively) and I have spares.

Help! What have you guys done?

kbailey
10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Hey Tom,

A few things I have seen (though don't like much myself) are putting the pump(s) and filter(s) in the bulkhead at the fuel cell fill, and also I have seen the filter mounted in the engine compartment. Both are places I want to mimimize fuel connections though. I suspect your question might start a good debate.

tdw6974
10-10-2006, 07:59 PM
lets see if this works: C:\Documents and Settings\Barney\My Documents\ITA\Copy of P1010047.JPG this shows mounting of fuel cell in our 1st gen. A containment box/cover was Built with dual pumps and fuel filter above the cell and then a cover installed over the top. braided fuel line to pressure regulator in engine compartment. the car was built by Robinson Racing and then Joe Vrable(posts on this board) it was and still is a good car and has moved to Florida with it s new owner. if the photo doesn't come through let me know and I'll send directly. Tom weaver

CaptainWho
10-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Both of ours have had the fuel pump and filter (Carter and Fram) mounted on the inside of the left frame rail just aft of the rear axle.

it7rx739
10-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Hey Tom!
Here is my setup. Call me at 770-720-2039

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/fastt2/th_DSC00321.jpg (http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g134/fastt2/DSC00321.jpg)

Tak
10-24-2006, 04:47 PM
My pumps are inside the drivers (left) side frame rail in front of the axle. My filter is in the engine compartment. Note that the left frame rail in front of the axle is the stock location...
My 10 gallon cell is on the left side behind the axle. That leaves room for the hot exhaust on the right side, well away from the combustable liquids. Not great from a polor moment of inertia or weight distribution point of view though...

Tak
#29 ITA
SFR SCCA