PDA

View Full Version : Overheating problem solved...I think

10-09-2006, 09:53 AM
:D

I've always run very hot, 250 water and 230 oil. After trying about everything I could think of, I swapped ECU's with a fellow 2nd gen driver. Holy Crap, what a difference!

I could tell on the pit lane as I went out for qualifying. The engine came to life at around 5K and pulled until 9. Plus, the water temp was down to 190 and oil at a comfortable 210-215 for the entire time. I ended up putting it on the front row, outside pole for by best effort of the year so far.

My computer is marked #326, and so was the one I borrowed. Both have been modified to remove the rev limiter. I have an extra marked #327, but I think that is for an automatic transmission, and It probably still has the rev limiter.

Can anybody tell me what ECU's will fit the '87 harness? What is the best way to get one with the rev limiter removed. Is the 86-88 harness compatible with the 89-91 ECU? I have an S-5 engine. I need to make one more race this year (Oct 21st).

Steve

By the way, does this ECU/Temperature/power relationship make sense? I've heard that the ECU controls the timing curve and maybe it was not advancing/retarding the timing properly causing super high EGT's and loss of power.