PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh - Another Math Problem

Gary L
10-09-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm considering the low-budget "creation" of a dual purpose race car for next season, and I'd like some opinions. The vehicle is an ITB Volvo at legal race weight of 2640 pounds, which has been running SCCA ITB and COMMA (Hallett-only organization) PA class races, both in legal ITB trim. The proposal is to switch up from PA to GT3 in COMMA, which would allow me to remove weight. Being fairly lazy, I'm looking at a "quicky" weight reduction, which I know can be done or undone in hours, not days, of exactly 160 pounds.

Question 1 - Given 1:32's as my current ITB legal baseline at Hallett, how much quicker do you think the car would be, at the lighter (2480 pound) weight? Assume no other significant changes, to include weight distribution.

Question 2 - Same question, except add one more change - from Hoosier DOT tires (R3S04's) to pure racing slicks (Hoosier or Goodyear) on the same 15x6 wheels.

For calibration purposes... the ITB lap record at Hallett is about 2.6 seconds slower than the ITA record, these being held by Chris Albin and Bob Stretch, respectively.

Thanks in advance for any input.