PDA

View Full Version : Printed Circuit Repair

Speed Raycer
10-05-2006, 05:40 PM
So, I apparently was a little overzealous with the grinder while trimming a dash to reinstall after a cage. I nicked the printed circuit that wraps around the drivers side plug on back of the dash and now the guages are acting a little funny (tach stops at 2k "!" light is constantly one, etc).

Is there any way to repair the circuit? Any repair "fillament" available? Basically, I sliced three strips that the connector slides onto and makes contact.

lateapex911
10-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Yes, there are repair materials out there, MCM electronics on the net is a source, but closer and faster is RadioShack. Although the hobyist stuff is getting thin in the stores nowadays.

In leiu of that, I might just clean the sliced strips on either side, and solder a some wires to them to bridge the offending gaps. You'll probably have that done faster than driving to the store, much less returning!

JimLill
10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
is it a flex circuit or hard PC board??

Speed Raycer
10-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Flex Circuit... wraps around the hard plastic of the dash then the connector snaps onto it
Kinda like this: (C is the connector, the flex circuit is the = sign with the plastic sandwiched in between)
C=

JimLill
10-05-2006, 06:50 PM
If it were my own car, I'd use some jumper wires and solder them to the circuit and add a new connector or something like that. I'm in the EE biz so have to deal with sim issues on that stuff. Contact via mail and maybe we can do this by "remote control"

CCARVER
10-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Here you go Izzy,
Link that shows the basics. I agree that I would jumper across the damaged section.
Carver
LINK!!! (http://www.circuittechctr.com/guides/4-2-4.shtml)

Speed Raycer
10-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys!

I'll check out radio shack today.. I saw some "silver in a pen" on their website. I'll try it first and if I have any problems, I'll get in touch with you Jim!!!