PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Lexan

RR
10-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Im rebuilding my spoiler/splitter, want to use Lexan as the bottom shelf portion. Q- how the hell to you cut lexan, last time if clogged up my sabre saw something awful. Or does anyone have a suggestion on another product that could be used, and where to buy? thanks RR

itracer
10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Im rebuilding my spoiler/splitter, want to use Lexan as the bottom shelf portion. Q- how the hell to you cut lexan, last time if clogged up my sabre saw something awful. Or does anyone have a suggestion on another product that could be used, and where to buy? thanks RR
[/b]

I don't know if it will work for Lexan, but when I cut random shapes into Plexiglass, I sandwich it in between two pieces of sacrificial plywood. Makes a better cut with little or no chipping.

67ITB
10-05-2006, 11:20 AM
I have done it with a standard cut off wheel, attached to a die grinder or 4-1/2 inch grinder.
But that is hard to make long, straight cuts. I have also used a jig saw with a very high tooth count and it didnt clog. I Kept a blow gun on the work to blow away the crud on a regular basis.
Masking tape to keep the saw from leaving drag marks, and leave the protective cover on the lexan as long as possible as you will scuff it if you dont.
and similar to what jason said I put it between 2 pieces of wood to stabilize it. but I didnt cut the wood.

I had tried the Craftsman "Twin Cutter" but that kept clogging and trying to bind its self up

Hope that helps.

Matt Bal

lateapex911
10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Lexan for a splitter?? I'm no plastics expert, but I'm not sure if that's the best choice.
In any case, excessive speed will cause heat which makes things gum/clog. Try slower speeds, and different blades. Bosch sells blades for the purpose.

charrbq
10-05-2006, 12:45 PM
I use ABS rather than Lexan. The Lexan should be stronger, but I bet it's expensive. I learned the hard way the a fine tooth blade and a high speed is the wrong thing to do. Slow cut is the secret. The high speed simply melts the plastic and the two pieces reweld. An 8x12 sheet of ABS can be had for less than $40.

dickita15
10-05-2006, 01:12 PM
with a sabre saw best results with a medium to fine Wood blade. as stated fine blades generate too much heat.

x-ring
10-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Waterjet.

It's not as expensive as you might think.

RR
10-05-2006, 02:14 PM
What and where to you buy ABS????

joeg
10-05-2006, 02:59 PM
jig saw; fine blades.

I have done many Lexan Windows this way!

JimLill
10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Another possible material is G10/FR4 glass laminate. Strong, light, and easy to cut with a shear or saw.

http://www.americanepoxy.com/g10_1.htm