PDA

View Full Version : physical prep on endurance/hot racing days

latebrake
10-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I have talked to some guys ( mostly older ones) who get an IV drip of saline before a long race or high heat high risk heat stroke races in the south. They call it a splash and go. Are any of you guys doing something similar? They swear by it and I was just wondering if there are regulations against it. The substance is not illegal. Dont want to start drug testing in racing. Do the pros test or even resrtict any extra physical prep before race day? I posted something like this on the prod site a year ago just to see what people were doing to combat the heat and help stay alive on very hot days.

Lawrence

67ITB
10-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Latebrake,

I have seen people use this “system” in other high heat,(130+ degrees) high stress environments, but from what my medics tell me as long as you are smart enough(or alert, not unconscious, not bleeding profusely, not already suffering from heat exhaustion, heat stroke) its no better for you than just drinking plenty of non alcoholic, non caffeinated fluids.
Your body will still look to “dispose” of the extra that it does not need. Now I have had people put the fluids in the refrigerator first so that you can feel the “coolness” go in your body, but that feeling quickly goes away.

So bottom line it’s really not necessary for what we do. Invest in a 3ltr Camelback, and you won’t have to worry about getting rid of the used needle. Now if you could rig the IV up so that it “drips” into you while out on the track………… NOT

You can start to hydrate yourself days ahead of the scheduled event. And that could help.

Hope that helps
Matt Bal

JamesB
10-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Always start hydrating before the weekend. On a hot weekend I kick up my fluid intake on Thursday and keep it going through the weekend. It takes 24-36 horus for your body to up its internal hydration level rather then just flushing it out of you.

gprodracer
10-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Ditto on most of what was posted before.

You don't want to use cold liquids too much though, as your body has to use energy to heat the liquids up to a temperature that it can use it to hydrate you. You should start the extra hydration process at least 4 days before the event, so your body gets used to carrying the extra fluids. I ran enduros solo for many years, and this really seemed to improve my performance. I personally am not a big fan of the in car drink bottle, but it works for a lot of people, so try it and see. The cool shirts/helmets work really well, but are expensive, so let your budget be your guide. If you are running enduros (1.5 -3 hours) by yourself, they are a necessity, no matter what the price.

Good Luck!

Mark

Knestis
10-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Yup.

And don't buy everything that you see on TV. Many "sports drinks" have enough dissolved sugars and salts that, when they hit your stomach, they actually suck water out of your system through osmosis.

I personally think that some folks might get "dehydrated" mixed up with "out of shape," too. There is no question that I feel better now after a long, hot stint in the car than I used to, since I started really exercising. Nothing beats running in the heat to get you ready for racing in the heat.

K

Eric Parham
10-05-2006, 10:19 PM
If I can wake up early and time permits, I find that a great way to stay in shape is to run/jog a lap or two of the racetrack :)

lateapex911
10-06-2006, 03:19 AM
I personally think that some folks might get "dehydrated" mixed up with "out of shape," too.

K
[/b]

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. I raced 3 hours in 90 degeree heat and honestly, I wouldn't spend the money on a cool suit, no need. Run....bike...swim...whatever, it's better for you in the long run anyway.

JLawton
10-06-2006, 05:31 AM
To say nothing of the fact that you need to know what you are doing to put in an IV. The first problem is risk of infection, the second is trying to poke a needle into a vein. Not as easy as it looks.........

Knestis
10-06-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry - we were suggesting doing our OWN IVs??

AAAH!

If you are thinking about this in lieu of a fitness program, PLEASE rethink your plan. I don't want EV to have to respond to you because your ticker shut off and your car wandered off on its own...

K

latebrake
10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
I'm sorry - we were suggesting doing our OWN IVs??

AAAH!

If you are thinking about this in lieu of a fitness program, PLEASE rethink your plan. I don't want EV to have to respond to you because your ticker shut off and your car wandered off on its own...

K
[/b]

No way man!! I was thinking of starting your IV :lol: and just drink mine from the bottle I just opened from the cooler. :rolleyes: No these guys were going by the med tent/center and having someone there do the hole punching.

Lawrence

gprodracer
10-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Well,

While I agree that there is no substitute for being in shape, the Nascar boys still run helmet coolers. and some road racers have in car drink bottles. Anyone want to tell Mark Martin that he must not be in shape because he has a helmet cooler? If you keep the blood flow to your brain cooler, your reaction times will not slow down nearly as much at the end of the race as they would if you had no cooler at all. IMHO, any type of assistance we give our bodies to combat heat fatigue can only help our performance, and judgement, towards the end of a long broiling stint. I'm not 0% body fat, but I'm not overweight by any means, and I have lost 9 pounds after a 3 hour enduro. Take any advantage to keep yourself cooler that you can.

Mark

JLawton
10-07-2006, 04:53 AM
No these guys were going by the med tent/center and having someone there do the hole punching.

Lawrence
[/b]

Whew!!