PDA

View Full Version : LRP Front Straightaway - Actual Distance?

DaveITB1
10-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I was wondering the actual distance of the front straight at Lime Rock, from the bottom of the downhill to turn 1?

Basically, I am trying to figure out if I will run out of revs by changing the gearing in my diff. I am only pulling 6400 in 4th when I reach turn one

As an English major in college, I am open to any quick conversion calculators out there on the web, or the formula that I should use to determine the distance covered, while accelerating in a particular gear. I know wheel circumference, car weight, tranny gear ratio, diff ratio, and approximately how fast i am going at the bottom of the downhill. Am I missing any values?

I am going to post this in "Tech Talk" as well.

Thanks.

Dave

BobsAuto
10-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Back in my old S2 days when I was adjusting gear sets to LRP, for some reason, I think someone told us the front straight was 1500 feet. And looking back in my Hewland gearcharts, we have that marked down. Whether that's correct or not, I'm not sure, but I'm sure it may be darned close. Hope this helps. Mike Rand could definately answer that. Try emailing him from the LRP website.

BillW
10-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Based on the data that I have, the distance shown on this image is .357 miles or 1884 ft.

DaveITB1
10-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Based on the data that I have, the distance shown on this image is .357 miles or 1884 ft.
[/b]

BillW - How cool is that !!! Thank you.

Trish (and/or Bob) - Thanks for looking back in your notes.

We are swapping out a 4.10 rear for a 4.27 and taking her to the test day before the RunOffs.

Andy Bettencourt
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Based on the data that I have, the distance shown on this image is .357 miles or 1884 ft. [/b]

Bill,

Is your distance the physical distance of the straight or your accelleration to braking distance? I would think that you could eliminate the part of the straight that you needed to brake if you were figuring gearing...

BillW
10-07-2006, 09:16 PM
The image is actually the cars line. If you were to overlay the actual track, the straight would be shorter.. If I get a chance, I'll measure the distance from track out of the downhill to the beginnig of the braking zone (2 marker).

Bill

Daryl DeArman
10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
No shortcutting the chicane!

lateapex911
10-09-2006, 12:50 PM
No shortcutting the chicane!
[/b]

Actually, only the pros run the chicane. It was created to stop cars from lifting off at the crest of the uphill...we don't have quite that level of power, LOL>

The chicane looking thing in the trace is a mystery to me. The actual chicane is at 6 O'clock on that map. I was thinking it was a data abberation. Bill...thoughts?

BillW
10-11-2006, 10:56 AM
Since I wasn't driving the car that day, I can't take credit, but that glitch was a loop between 4 and 5 :unsure:

You can't hide from the DATA!

Bill

lateapex911
10-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Since I wasn't driving the car that day, I can't take credit, but that glitch was a loop between 4 and 5 :unsure:

You can't hide from the DATA!

Bill
[/b]

Ah...........so it was a driver abberation, not a data abberation, ;)

Andy Bettencourt
10-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Just to add to the data:

I come down the downhill in 4th gear, do not shift to 5th and hit my breaking zone (between the 2 and 3 marker) at 7000rpm (my shift point).

Tires: 205/50/15

R&P: 4.30