PDA

View Full Version : What is this strut?

backformore
10-02-2006, 09:38 AM
I just disassembled the front struts on the Scirocco. The strut insert is a BLACK Tokico, labeled as RZ1100.(non-adjustable)

Unfortunately, one of them is toast. In looking for a replacement, I cannot find an RZ1100 or any black Tokico.

Does anyone know what this is? Maybe an older model that is superseded by something else (the blue HP perhaps)?

I'd like to be able to just replace the one, but if it is no longer available, I'm' afraid I may have to replace both.

Thanks

67ITB
10-02-2006, 11:05 AM
I think its from one of the older Z cars (datsun, nissan240/300)

Maybe one of them can chime in with more info on it

Matt Bal

tderonne
10-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Ran RZ1100's in the Festiva as a first attempt from stock. They are a non-adjustable "racing" strut. But really can't say much more than that, at least I can confirm the part number.

lateapex911
10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
This is, to me, a great chance to get something more appropriate in there. As the car is FWD, I'd assume you'd like to have the ability to go to some stout spring rates. Tokikos aren't known for being high rate capable. And if this one went, the other is likely to follow.

I'd say cut the losses and see what Bilstein or Koni has to offer.

backformore
10-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks Jake,

I will probably head that direction. For the immediate future the car will be used as a license keeper/school car for some friends, so I am trying to keep the expense down as much as possible. I do think you are right, though. I will probably go with a quality non-adjustable like the Bilstein.

The rear has Konis, so hopefully they are OK.

JamesB
10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Depending on your spring rates you might be able to use off the shelf inserts, or talk to bilstien about inserts with proper valving. Revalving is not that expensive with Bilstien.

tderonne
10-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Supposedly, the RZ1100 is "stiffer" than any adjustable street Tokico, I was running around a 350 pound/inch spring and other than being overdamped at high velocities, it was matched ok.

But I definitely second the swap to a better insert comment.

backformore
10-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Front springs are currently 550s and I have no plan to alter that. The previous owner was plenty fast with this setup, even with the RZ1100.

A little research has led me to believe that the RZ1100 is a Rally strut from Tokico.

JamesB
10-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Well I would call bilstien and get a quote on some inserts valved to that springrate. I had off the shelf bilstine sports with 550 fronts. It was fast but you could feel the valving was not right. Now im on properly valved struts and its a world of difference.

backformore
10-03-2006, 01:13 PM
It looks like a call to Bilstein is the way to go. Might as well get it right so I can forget about and enjoy it. It's only money :P

JamesB
10-03-2006, 01:28 PM
It was worth the money for me.