PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer - Idea of Price?

Ron Earp
10-01-2006, 06:40 AM
At the end of the year I think I'm going to buy a new trailer. The one I have works perfectly fine, but, I have realized that one of the reasons I don't track side stay too much is accommodations. I'd like to get better organized and create a trailer that I can sleep in as well as haul my car around. Less is more for me - so this thing will end up being very space efficient.

Plus, we all spend a lot of time at the track. The 20ft enclosed we bought and use really improved our track experience over exclusive use of open trailers. So, maybe this would be another step up for us.

20 ft aluminum trailer as the base
Reinforced roof at rear for small observation deck (maybe 8'x5')
Side ladder to get to same
Tie downs/d rings inside, around eight
Wired for 110V, four inside, two outside
LED lights for external brakes, turn, etc.
Roof vent
Fluorescent lights, two 4ft would work
Porch light
Loading lights
500W quartz lights on the side with the door, maybe two
Door oversized, maybe 48", and only one door to maximize wall space

How much would something like this cost? I've been shopping around but haven't found this configuration, although I've found some steel 20fters.

Other things that are going in are cabinets with drawers up front, a bench there, tire racks up high on side walls, and two fold down beds on the side walls as I've seen others have. Ditto an AC unit. Got Internet covered too. But, I didn't want these things figuring into the price since I can build them myself.

Any comments (other than "forget it buy a 50 ft sleeper") from those that have done something similar would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Ron

dickita15
10-01-2006, 07:35 AM
one site I keep an eye on is racingjunk.com, it is a very active site with maybe 50 to 100 new listing a day in the towing section

Ron Earp
10-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Thanks Dick, I will check that out. I've found some huge trailers with these features, but no small ones. Since I refuse to get a new tow truck I'll need to stick with smaller rigs under 8000 lbs total weight with car. Let me see what sort of junk I can find.....

R

charrbq
10-01-2006, 11:27 AM
At your current rate of goodies selection for the interior of the trailer, you might want to consider go carts as you'll be running out of room for the car! lol Seriously, though, you're on the right track of extras. I have a friend that sleeps in his trailer during the summer months of SOWDIV and only has a huge fan for cooling. No one wants to be near him for the smell, and his arms, etc. are one big mosquito bite!

Ron Earp
10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
At your current rate of goodies selection for the interior of the trailer, you might want to consider go carts as you'll be running out of room for the car!
[/b]

I hear you, but I've seen some really nice setups that are done well and save space. It is a challenge, I think I can do it! :D

Anyone have any idea of price for one of these trailers new? To be honest, I have sent probably four quote requests in the last week, just as I wrote, and received ZERO replies. Folks must not want to sell a trailer from what I can tell. I am going to contact a local place and see what they can do since Pace, Haulmark, etc. can't seem to find the time to even say bugger off.

R

mattbatson
10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
A couple of suggestions...
I would look into one of those air beds that are auto filling and about 3ft tall. They sell at Walmart for like 40 bucks. I have slept many a time on these in the queen size, with my wife, and they are very comfortable, and this would mean you dont have to build fold down beds. They deflate and fold up nice and tidy.

Also, you can do some kind of mosquito netting over the main door opening (or side door), so that you have a breeze in there, but no bug's.

I would think that you can also consider aluminum trailers as you are towing with a half ton truck. More expensive, but may be worth it.

I would be considering doing the same thing as you, except for my wife is my pit crew...and she doesnt camp :rolleyes:

Ron Earp
10-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Hey Matt,

the mattress idea is a good one and I'll remember that, as well as the netting. Aluminum was the number one spec on the trailer list, got to keep it light!

Ron

tderonne
10-02-2006, 10:43 AM
Something I've seen on some toy haulers is a fold out, pop up style bed. Folded out you have a double bed. Folded in, it takes almost no space. A screen right at the trailer wall would be easy to do too.

Search for "hybrid toy hauler" and you'll find a bunch, typically with the bed folding out over the hitch. I've seen them in the side walls too.

DavidM
10-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Believe it or not you can find some pretty good used trailers on e-bay. I bought mine off ebay. You may have to travel to get it, but it'll save you a good chunk of change. Some of the ones I looked at were pretty built-out with cabinets, nice floors, etc. With all the stuff you want, you'll probably wind up putting at least some of it in yourself. A twenty footer is going to get cramped with everything you want. You may want to look at a 24' or 26'. My 26' weighs in around 4000 empty. I like the inflatable matress idea over putting fold-up beds on the wall.

My guess would be $12-14k for a new 20' with the stuff you want installed. That's just a SWAG based on what I remember about the prices I saw on e-bay. Could probably save some money if you just get a base trailer and install stuff yourself. You didn't say anything about flooring or walls and that stuff can add a good amount to the price as well.

David

x-ring
10-02-2006, 05:17 PM
$12K for a 20 footer? I would never buy a new trailer, they just drop in value too fast.

I just upgraded from a 20 foot bumper pull (which I sold for $3000, BTW) to a 34 foot gooseneck. True, I had to bid on quite a few before I got one for what I wanted to spend, but I got it for $7500. Some cabinets, winch, nice checkerboard floor, new tires. It is an '01 model, a cargomate.

I'll probably repack the wheel bearings and check the brakes, but other than that I'll use it as is.

Just a thought from the poor-boy side of the fence.

mattbatson
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
I know of one racer who bought his 24 footer in NC, used, for around 3800 bucks.
It was several years old...but he used it for many years.
Kept the bearing packed, and I dont think he ever had a problem with it.
I think he just kept checking the classifieds, and maybe the IWANNA trader.

DavidM
10-03-2006, 02:58 PM
$12K for a 20 footer? I would never buy a new trailer, they just drop in value too fast.
[/b]

I was figuring $8-10k for the base trailer (assuming a decent trailer and not Jim Bob's home built) and another $2-4k to get everything installed. I guess that's $10k on the low side and $14k on the high side. I wouldn't buy a new trailer either. I got my 26' with diamond plate floor, vinyl ceiling, A/C, wired with outlets for 110 and a generator hook-up, and a walk-on roof with ladder and rails for $7k. I spent $800 on new tires and maintenance on brakes and bearings. I bid on a couple nicer ones around the same price, but the reserve wasn't met and the seller wouldn't lower their price.

David

Ron Earp
10-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I bought my current 20ft from this board, $3000, and it is probably worth somewhere in that neighborhood still. I think you guys are right in that I'll have to buy used, it makes sense. Besides - after sending out 11 emails to people about trailer quotes I have ZERO replies!!! How's that for customer service?

If I could get a 20 or 22 with a lot of the wiring and siding stuff done I can handle the rest. I can do wiring, but if the trailer isn't wired before siding etc. then it is a PITA. I really want that observation deck too, and I think that is going to require some strengthening that most won't have, but maybe I can get lucky.

R

x-ring
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
I've seen observation decks available in the aftermarket, so it can be done.

I was thinking maybe a 2x6 aluminum C channel just above the roof along the sides of the trailer, supported by bolting to each wall stud. Spanning the trailer I'd maybe use 1.5x4 or 1.5x5 floor joists welded to the 2x6's so they wouldn't touch the roof. ATP on top of that, a safety rail and you're done.

OK, so it wouldn't be that easy, but I bet a clever guy such as yourself could figure it out. I'll even loan you my copy of Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain LOL.

DoubleXL240Z
10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
My neighbor works for Featherlight(most xepensive!!). He brought home
a new 24 foot aero(wedge nose) trailer, alum frame, raised floor, 48" side door,
second side door for getting out of car without climbing out of window(show vette
was going in it) A/C, no ob tower. Sticker was 19,000 DOLLARS!!
Trying not to be a buzz killer!!Just an FYI!!