PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belts for 2007

charrbq
09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Okay, I've not got the memory I used to have. The SCCA site is down, so I can't find out from Fastrack or anyone else there. So here's my question...

For 2007, are we required or is it still recommended that we have 6 or 7 point restraint systems in place of the current 5 point for the drivers?

I have to start the winter race car shopping list early. Roll cage modifications will take enough time as it is.

Thanks

JamesB
09-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I could not recall any change to 6 point minimum, but I didnt dig too far. when I bought new belts I just went with 6 point FIA belts.

spnkzss
09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Okay, I've not got the memory I used to have. The SCCA site is down, so I can't find out from Fastrack or anyone else there. So here's my question...

For 2007, are we required or is it still recommended that we have 6 or 7 point restraint systems in place of the current 5 point for the drivers?

I have to start the winter race car shopping list early. Roll cage modifications will take enough time as it is.

Thanks
[/b]

I'm 99% sure it has been mandated for 2007 6 or 7 point belts. 5 point are no longer any good. They mandated this in late 2005 saying that by '07 they will be needed. This way the 2 year limit on belts would be up.

joeg
09-28-2006, 04:03 PM
I do not think that is the case.

I thought that they backed off mandating 6 and 7 point sytems.

dickita15
09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
My memory is that the CRB recomended 6 point last year but the BOD turned it down.

Matt Rowe
09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
I'll second that answer. The recommendation was made by the CRB but the BOD rejected it.

RSTPerformance
09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
I love the BOD :happy204: :)

Raymond

RacerBill
09-29-2006, 06:14 AM
Ray: I originally bought a 5 point system. Thought better of it and decided to go to a 6 point. Because I bought a latch-link set, I was able to find a supplier who sold the leg strap seperate, and upgraded my setup (could even have a 7 point if I wanted). Cost was actually less than if I had bought a 6 point to begin with.

I find the 6 point system more comfortable (physically and mentally!). But, just to keep within the thread, 5 point belts are still the minimum required.

Going to be back at Mid-Ohio any time soon?

tdw6974
09-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Just Go for 7 point FIA approved Belts. They are good for 5 years and then you are all set when it does change to 7 point even if its 3 years from now. B)

charrbq
09-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Just Go for 7 point FIA approved Belts. They are good for 5 years and then you are all set when it does change to 7 point even if its 3 years from now. B)
[/b]
That sounds reasonable. I wanted to check first. I have a set of 5 pt. that are still in the box (long story). They have a year of legality left on them, and I was about to give them away to my team mate. He has a play car that he wants to run ITE with, but needed new belts. I suppose I'll have to bite the big one, be a nice guy, and just buy the big belts.
I wasn't aware that the 7 pt FIA belts were approved for 5 years. Do they come in both latch or cam lock?

RSTPerformance
09-29-2006, 04:39 PM
Ray: I originally bought a 5 point system. Thought better of it and decided to go to a 6 point. Because I bought a latch-link set, I was able to find a supplier who sold the leg strap seperate, and upgraded my setup (could even have a 7 point if I wanted). Cost was actually less than if I had bought a 6 point to begin with.

I find the 6 point system more comfortable (physically and mentally!). But, just to keep within the thread, 5 point belts are still the minimum required.

Going to be back at Mid-Ohio any time soon?
[/b]

I always would recomend buying the best belts, they may save your arse some day... for me now, I have belts that don't run out for a while, and I wouldn't have to also replace those to keep within the rules. If I were to get extra cash then I might get new ones just to be a bit more safe, but I am poor...

As for Mid Ohio... I would love to come out, maybe next year!!! We will be ready for a different adventure after this years (chase for the NARRC championship) and with having the big trailer for both cars...

Coming to Lime Rock anytime soon ;)

Raymond